Hi — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi

Badbunny
Badbunny Community member Posts: 5 Connected
I have ME, Fibromyalgia and mild arthritis and asthma and allergies.  I look 'normal' but am in pain, become easily fatigued and going out and eating out can be problematic due to my allergies.  Even friends don't understand my needs properly and I get frustrated at being invited out to events which are unsuitable for my disabilities and find people often won't make allowances, e.g will choose a coffee shop in the city centre which is further than I can walk from a car park.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Badbunny,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

There's plenty of groups and discussions which you can get involved with, whether it be just for a chat, or to ask for some advice and support. Do feel free to get involved in one of our conversations!

If you have any questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Badbunny Welcome to the community, do you really share with your friends just how difficult you find things?  I have an invisible disability and I think I am guilty of not always being totally open with my needs.  It's not easy to admit that you need a little more help sometimes but I have found that when I explain "I can't do X if you are going to Y because of Z" that people are often surprised.

I think because people may see me out and about, they dont understand all of my needs, yes I may have been out on Saturday but X,Y and Z needed to happen to get there, and A, B and C will happen as a consequence.

Have you heard of the Spoon Theory? It can be really useful to explain chronic illness and fatigue to others.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Welcome badbunny. Hopefully you can gain helpful insights here which may help you to deal with the type of issues we all face.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Do you ever suggest places to go that are accessible?

Brightness