Between benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Between benefits

Jonalicat
Jonalicat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been claiming working tax credits and I'm due to renew but I'm also putting in a pip claim I have been in constant pain since November but I am still producing hand woven bags to sell albeit slowly it helps with the pain.im not sure what to do, do I renew or cancel and if I renew what do I put down as I'm making suff but not sold yet. Because I have not yet renewed I have no payment or any other income and I have no idea if I can claim anything else till pip comes through. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you tried putting your details into an on line benefit calculator?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Jonalicat,

For you to continue to claim Working Tax Credit you need to be working, either for an employer or self-employed for 30 hours a week (16 or 24 in certain circumstances). If you don't do this you won't be entitled to it. Are you fit enough for work? Does your doctor consider you to be fit enough for work? Maybe you should consider applying for ESA unless you live in a full service Universal Credit area. Your PIP claim is irrelevant really in terms of other benefits, you can claim PIP regardless of your other income. Your choices are to apply for ESA as a person not able to work through ill health (or UC) or continue to work the required number of hours for your circumstances and receive Working Tax Credit. You should also use a benefits calculator to see if your income is low enough for you to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.