I'm thinking of getting a wheelchair, but my 13yo says she's appalled at the idea. Help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm thinking of getting a wheelchair, but my 13yo says she's appalled at the idea. Help?

russthechef
russthechef Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi new to this kind off thing so please be patient,having just got back from a family holiday to Tenerife after finding it very hilly I decided to hire a mobility scooter as even on a flat surface walking is limited,what a difference it made I could join in on walks go out on my own saved my a lot of pain,im thinking of investing in one for home but I mentioned it to my 13yo she was appalled at the idea as she said it was embarrassing for her and would get the micky taken out of her,she is normally very supportive of me and understands my needs but this is something that i could really need any suggestions would be appreciated as I know how others especially children can effect each other,how have others handled all this many thanks.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @russthechef
    Welcome to our website and online community.
    Yes I have got two young children and I have had mobility scooters for a very long time now.
    I found young children in be more understanding than adults.
    I have had numerous scooters for sometime now.
    And I would be very happy in giving you some pointers.
  • russthechef
    russthechef Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks I've since found out our local disability centre hire out scooters for a nominal fee £40 for the year so I'm going to test the water see what kind of response I get before committing myself so fingers crossed
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @russthechef,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board. I hope you and your family had a nice time in Tenerife!

I'm sorry to hear about the situation that you're in. I've moved this post into our Disabled People category, where other members of our community will be able to share their advice. 

@mossycow, do you have any ideas?
    Liam
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Teenagers are hard-wired to want to fit-in and be accepted by their peers @russthechef .

All you can do is sit her down and explain that the alternative for you is being left out of things and having little independence.

Tell her that you do care about how she is treated. However, if you let other people take your choices away by their bad behaviour then a person never stops giving in. That is a bad way to live.
  • loza
    loza Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi russthechef, I can relate to your situation,,I have had a walking stick for years now ,,but as times gone by I am getting worse with the pain and cannot get out and about at all,,,I have been thinking of getting a scooter because it will give me a bit more independence ,although I carnt shop like before at least I would be able to go shopping with my husband instead of been stuck at home,,your 13yr old daughter will eventually come to terms with what ever decision you make,,my granddaughter 15yrs old is really excited for me getting a scooter because she hasn't had any socialable time with me in a very long time,she loved for me to go clothes shopping,, all the things a typical teenager likes to do and she said if I got a scooter I could do things with her that I carnt do stuck in house,,I'm sure in time both you and your daughter will appreciate the independence it would give you,,,I have made my mind up I'm getting one ,,,good luck hope everything works out for you.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @russthechef how are you getting on? I wondered if there were any young carer groups in your area so your daughter could talk to others about her feelings?

It can be tough for kids to have a disabled parent and young carer groups allow them to explore these feelings.

Do a search on google to see what is on offer in your area.

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness