Pension age — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension age

Jonesy1
Jonesy1 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
what happens to my benefits when I receive my pension

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Jonesy1,

I'm sorry that you are yet to receive a response to this. I was able to find the following information on the Citizens Advice website:
    Taking money from your pension pots could affect your benefits
    Some benefits are worked out based on how much income and capital you have - these are called 'means tested benefits'. Capital is money you have in your savings and investments. Means tested benefits include: 
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • income based Jobseeker's Allowance 
    • income related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    Taking money out of your pension could affect your eligibility for these benefits.
    The rules are different depending on if you've reached Pension Credit age. Work out when you'll reach Pension Credit age on GOV.UK - it's not the same for everyone, it depends on when you were born and your sex. 

I have moved this post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo will be able to advise further.

Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Jonesy1,

When you reach State Pension age and you receive your pension your entitlement to means-tested benefits will be reassessed. If you could tell me what benefits you are currently receiving I could advise you better. Any disability benefits that you get (DLA or PIP) will not be affected.

Thanks,
    Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.