if you are claiming PIP, do your National Insurance payments get made? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

if you are claiming PIP, do your National Insurance payments get made?

Janice48
Janice48 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i'm 60 yrs old and have recently been awarded the standard rate of PIP allowance. I suffer from degenerative spine disease and cannot see myself working again. My question is, if you are claiming PIP, do your National Insurance payments get made or do you have to pay them yourselves?  I'm worried that if they're not kept up to date, I may not be entitled to a full State Pension when I retire.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Janice48

Welcome to our online community/website I do hope that we can help with this??

Please pop over to our home page where you will find lots of info which might be helpful??

We have also got a number of Advisors on hand who will help you.

Please please let us know if we can help you further ???
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Janice and welcome
    Do you also claim ESA ?
    you can also check you entitlement to your state pension at

www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    No, being in reciept of PIP will not pay your national Insurance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Janice48,

I've moved this post into our benefits advisor category for you. 

@BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Janice48. The people who have posted above are quite right to say that PIP does not bring with it any national insurance credit. The only benefits which bring you a Class 1 national insurance credit are the benefits which are intended to act as earnings replacements, such as jobseekers allowance, employment and support allowance and carers allowance. For instance, if you are not able to work because of your spinal condition, then you may perhaps be able to get employment and support allowance. This would depend on a few things, such as your work history. Can you come back to us on this forum and give us a bit more information about your situation? Alternatively, you can have a look at the Benefits Calculator part of this Scope website, which is run by www.turn2us.org.uk. If you put your income, work and household details (anonymously) into the calculator, it will give you a good idea of what you might be able to claim. I also suggest that you follow Cockney Rebel's suggestion and contact the DWP's pension service to find out what the current status of your state pension is - you never know, you may already have got enough contributions!
    Hope this helps,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.