if you are claiming PIP, do your National Insurance payments get made? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

if you are claiming PIP, do your National Insurance payments get made?

Janice48 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i'm 60 yrs old and have recently been awarded the standard rate of PIP allowance. I suffer from degenerative spine disease and cannot see myself working again. My question is, if you are claiming PIP, do your National Insurance payments get made or do you have to pay them yourselves?  I'm worried that if they're not kept up to date, I may not be entitled to a full State Pension when I retire.


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Janice48

    Welcome to our online community/website I do hope that we can help with this??

    Please pop over to our home page where you will find lots of info which might be helpful??

    We have also got a number of Advisors on hand who will help you.

    Please please let us know if we can help you further ???
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Janice and welcome
    Do you also claim ESA ?
    you can also check you entitlement to your state pension at


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,369 Disability Gamechanger
    No, being in reciept of PIP will not pay your national Insurance.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Janice48,

    I've moved this post into our benefits advisor category for you. 

    @BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Janice48. The people who have posted above are quite right to say that PIP does not bring with it any national insurance credit. The only benefits which bring you a Class 1 national insurance credit are the benefits which are intended to act as earnings replacements, such as jobseekers allowance, employment and support allowance and carers allowance. For instance, if you are not able to work because of your spinal condition, then you may perhaps be able to get employment and support allowance. This would depend on a few things, such as your work history. Can you come back to us on this forum and give us a bit more information about your situation? Alternatively, you can have a look at the Benefits Calculator part of this Scope website, which is run by www.turn2us.org.uk. If you put your income, work and household details (anonymously) into the calculator, it will give you a good idea of what you might be able to claim. I also suggest that you follow Cockney Rebel's suggestion and contact the DWP's pension service to find out what the current status of your state pension is - you never know, you may already have got enough contributions!
    Hope this helps,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.