Should I use a wheelchair? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I use a wheelchair?

katieemma1998
katieemma1998 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone. I'm new to using forums and being a part of the online community. Basically for about 5 years I have been suffering with severe fatigue, aching muscles and joints, IBS and POTS syndrome. Walking for a short amount of time isn't too bad but if I walk around the shops or go into town with friends I get really bad back, joint and muscle aches, I sweat excessively and I am extremely exhausted for a long while afterwards. Not to mention the constant headaches and feeling lightheaded. I can sleep for around 10-12 hours a night and still be exhausted the next day; I cannot function without at least one nap throughout the day, lasting at least 2-3 hours. I get so embarrassed as I'm only 19 and I don't have the stamina or physical ability like most people my age group. I went to the doctors to have blood tests to see if I may be suffering with anemia, apparently not. My doctor understands how bad I am suffering at the moment so she is going to be doing further tests to see whether I might have M.E (Chronic fatigue syndrome). So basically I just wanted to know if anybody else is maybe experiencing the same problems and whether they found that using a wheelchair would be beneficial. Not everyday, just for when I have bad days or a long day out somewhere. If I'm out on my feet or walking too long, I am usually bedbound for the next few days afterwards. Thank you for taking the time to read my forum:) 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    In practical terms you are more used to walking than pushing yourself around, would the unusual effort of propelling a wheel chair be even more fatiguing ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • katieemma1998
    That's what I would like to know, I would like others who are experiencing similar symptoms to tell me how they go about it. My problem is that I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything, yet these issues are causing a great deal of stress day to day.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hi @katieemma1998 ,
    You might find a wheelchair too much of a physical exertion. Without a diagnosis you won't get any help to get one either.

A second-hand scooter might be a better choice. They are self-powered and easy to pass on if you no longer want it. You might be less self-concious too. It's better than missing out.
  • katieemma1998
    Thank you @markmywords , I'll have a good think about your advice. Thank you very much.

Brightness