Should I use a wheelchair? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I use a wheelchair?

Options
katieemma1998
katieemma1998 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone. I'm new to using forums and being a part of the online community. Basically for about 5 years I have been suffering with severe fatigue, aching muscles and joints, IBS and POTS syndrome. Walking for a short amount of time isn't too bad but if I walk around the shops or go into town with friends I get really bad back, joint and muscle aches, I sweat excessively and I am extremely exhausted for a long while afterwards. Not to mention the constant headaches and feeling lightheaded. I can sleep for around 10-12 hours a night and still be exhausted the next day; I cannot function without at least one nap throughout the day, lasting at least 2-3 hours. I get so embarrassed as I'm only 19 and I don't have the stamina or physical ability like most people my age group. I went to the doctors to have blood tests to see if I may be suffering with anemia, apparently not. My doctor understands how bad I am suffering at the moment so she is going to be doing further tests to see whether I might have M.E (Chronic fatigue syndrome). So basically I just wanted to know if anybody else is maybe experiencing the same problems and whether they found that using a wheelchair would be beneficial. Not everyday, just for when I have bad days or a long day out somewhere. If I'm out on my feet or walking too long, I am usually bedbound for the next few days afterwards. Thank you for taking the time to read my forum:) 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In practical terms you are more used to walking than pushing yourself around, would the unusual effort of propelling a wheel chair be even more fatiguing ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • katieemma1998
    Options
    That's what I would like to know, I would like others who are experiencing similar symptoms to tell me how they go about it. My problem is that I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything, yet these issues are causing a great deal of stress day to day.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @katieemma1998 ,
    You might find a wheelchair too much of a physical exertion. Without a diagnosis you won't get any help to get one either.

A second-hand scooter might be a better choice. They are self-powered and easy to pass on if you no longer want it. You might be less self-concious too. It's better than missing out.
  • katieemma1998
    Options
    Thank you @markmywords , I'll have a good think about your advice. Thank you very much.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.