Hi I'm Rebecca ask me questions about Mental Health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm Rebecca ask me questions about Mental Health

RebeccaMHadvisor
RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
edited February 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing

Hi, I'm Rebecca. 

I am a qualified hypnotherapist and a counselor volunteering for ChildLine and the NSPCC. I work to support children and young people with a variety of mental health needs. I have spent 20 years working within local government in both social housing and social services supporting people who are vulnerable and with complex needs. I am a keen advocate of supporting survivors of domestic abuse. 

Ask me questions about Mental Health now.

Comments

• wenlock
    wenlock Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi
    I have been caring for my son who is now 16yrs old with ADHD, he was only diagnosed at aged 10yrs. I have been on antidepressants for over 14yrs, I have since found out that I have a blood disorder and a blood clot on my brain and so my health is not at my best right now and I am really worried about mine and my children's future.
    I have a supportive partner but he has little patience these days so conflict between him and my son is high. My doctor is fantastic but as ADHD is not classed as a severe disability I have never had any restbite care for my son. My sons absent father rarely has him and has never been on the same page as me so I've not had his support either.
     I need some kind of therapy because I feel constantly angry and I want to have a loving relationship with my son in the future. I have X3 other children that live with me, ages from 19yrs-4yrs. 
  • rebeccahinton2
    rebeccahinton2 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi thats great I am looking for an advocate to support me what area do you cover
  • damian28
    damian28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    We are struggling to encourage our young adult son to take his daily medication for early signs if psychosis - do you have any tips or strategies we could try ? 
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    Hi @damian28

Unfortunately many patients with mental health conditions refuse to take their medication at some point and watching on can be heart breaking. I am sure that you are able to see side affects of him not taking the medication and it can be frustrating and tiring. 

First things first - have you had a conversation about his reasoning?

If he is refusing because he is having side affects or because he doesn't think it is working. Both of those reasons it would be worth having a conversation with him and his doctors as to what is happening and the impacts on him. He might think he has already had this conversation but that he isn't being listened to in which case it is important to put yourself in his shoes and understand what he needs.

Not taking the medication because he doesn't think he needs to is very different and is a lot harder to address. He might seen the medication as getting in his way and forget that it has made him well. Reasoning can sometimes help, reminding him of how things were before he started to take the medication.

The best advice I can give you though is talk to him.

Hope this helps
    Rebecca
  • treemanhart
    treemanhart Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    hi Rebcca,

i want to provide you with some backgruond information about my situation, but its a few pages and i dont want it read on the furum. would yu be able to read some background info about situation? and is there a way i can send you it that would be confidential?

many thnks
    treeman
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi @RebeccaMHadvisor I posted an update on the discussion "Complex PTSD and no help available" Would love to hear your thoughts as to where I go from here..
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    Hi @wildlife

Sorry for the delay in my response

Rebecca
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    Hi @treemanhart

I'm not too sure - @Sam_Scope - is there a facility for this?

Rebecca

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @treemanhart and @RebeccaMHadvisor for safeguarding reasons, we don't recommend you share private information, apologies for this.

If you would like to speak to someone @treemanhart you can call the Scope Helpline on 08088003333 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • treemanhart
    Hi both Rebecca and Sam, thnks for getting back. the only way i'll be able to get relevnet advice is by sharing personal info, but not prepared to have shared on the open forum.

i can ring number you suggested but i need somone to read my situation rather than me trying to explin it over phone.

many thnks

• treemanhart

hi Sam/Rebecca am still waiting to see if yu can reposnd to my last post yesterday, and also I need Rebbecas advice regarding the other post I have called PIP Predicament.

and for Sam, I note yu sent me private email advising thaqt you think I need to speak to appropriate adviser about my issues, can you direct me to anyone in particular?

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

hi Sam/Rebecca am still waiting to see if yu can reposnd to my last post yesterday, and also I need Rebbecas advice regarding the other post I have called PIP Predicament.

and for Sam, I note yu sent me private email advising thaqt you think I need to speak to appropriate adviser about my issues, can you direct me to anyone in particular?

Hi @treemanhart you can email the helpline on helpline@scope.org.uk 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • lavender
    lavender Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Good afternoon Rebecca..; I amstruggling to find representation/advocacy help for my Atos medical assesment?
    I have sent my medical records to D.W.P,to no effect, I know my mental health issues ,both severe depression,but especially my Personality disorder which manifests itself in aggression when confronted?
    I'm already aware of some of the Tactics,Manipulation,and Lies of the  French company Atos .
    I can only be myself which will see me fail or the assesment stopped by the Atos individual.
    After the poor treatment of others i am already angry,they will not like who i am when confronted ?
    Any help please?
    Thank you...
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    Hi @lavender

I can hear that you are really worried about your assessment and can feel your frustration. 

The first thing I would say is keep an open mind. There are many people who have had bad experience but this is about you and you need to put yourself first.

There is some information here about preparing for the assessment that you might find useful.

In terms someone to support you, do you have a support worker or family member who understands you condition that you would be able to take with you?

Going through this process is very stressful but there is help and support out there.

Rebecca
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    looking back, I can tick the boxes on quite a few of the things that went on to produce murderers/serial killers etc. Is their like a 'monster switch' Im not seeing?

Actually I tend to 'overcare' (is that a word) about people and can get upset by certain subjects. Its just when taken as a whole, my life history is kinda on the scary side.
  • davidmarshall9998
    davidmarshall9998 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi rebecca my name is david marshall i want to talk to you about depression as part of my mental health terms

• RebeccaMHadvisor
    Hi @davidmarshall9998

Have you been diagnosed with depression or is your depression part of a wider mental health issue? I would like to be able to support you the best I can.

Rebecca
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Can I talk about you depression with link with dyspraxia and half deaf if not I understand
    V.shaw
  • lavender
    lavender Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Dear Rebecca ; Can i please tell you about an experience (recent) of mine in the hope you will comment and that it may set others to think?
    I have suffered many years with severe deppression,and a violent personality disorder,during which time i met a variety of health proffessionals and C.P.N's,still taking more meds one can shake a stick at.I have now been reffered to a quite new group the P.P.S.S. the clinical phycologist ran through the usual questions noting occassionally what i said.At the end she asked a question no other had asked me? " Why after counselling with the people from " MIND" did i get greater comfort,support,and well being than all other C.P.N's"? Great question i thought.
    Answer to me was so straight forward,i explained that sitting in a room with C.P.N's etc firing their questions,bog standard the same as they did to the paitient before,and the patient after me,all the time thinking to myself how in personal,i bet thier really more concerened, Have i fed the cat-do i have enough petrol to get home,should have topped up,what on earth can i have for dinner just for a change,etc,etc? But the caring people at MIND do it differently,they are willing to not just willing to listen and take notes but crucially re-count their own hardships in life that quite often were similar to my own,in some cases even more tragic,always remaing confidetial of names.I would leave their rooms feeling finally someone really cares and listens and most impotantly contributes by relating mine to theirs  hardships " Sincere Sincererty"....x
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The level of impersonality within the Mental Health community is staggering. Even therapists aren't immune to it.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness