Old Threads — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Old Threads

Options
OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,625 Disability Gamechanger
Hi,

I've noticed a few of my own old threads being bumped lately, as well as others.  They're no longer relevant and it gets a bit confusing when replies are made years after the original topic was posted.  Circumstances change, processes change.

I was wondering if threads could be locked to replies after a period of inactivity?  

Thanks

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wonder if it's because some people might find the forum from search engines which load certain posts related to their search terms and they reply to that not clocking the dates?? I know when I search for help stuff I get taken to all sorts of sites and the posts are usually a couple of years old. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello @OverlyAnxious! It's really lovely to see your username on my screen, I hope you're keeping well. 

I've just discussed this with the team and although we appreciate your frustration, automatically locking threads after a period of inactivity isn't a function we are able to readily implement right now. The good news is we are exploring archiving and post retention options so another solution may present itself soon, fingers crossed.

I agree @Biblioklept - I'm quite partial to searching for parenting advice ( :D ) and often end up on years old threads on other forums. It's always a relief to know someone else has been through the same thing, but I equally get how confusion could arise giving them a 'bump'. The joys of community life eh!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I clicked on this thread not knowing if it would be about the forum or about your well worn clothes hanging up in your wardrobe!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When i first joined the group and i was looking around the site, i was always finding old threads ha ha - i have learnt now to look at the dates, think we have a few new people doing the same as i used to, so hopefully they will learn the same. x
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I clicked on this thread not knowing if it would be about the forum or about your well worn clothes hanging up in your wardrobe!
    :D  I think 'threads' is an outdated term online now.  Bit like my Grandad still calling the radio a wireless in the 21st century!  I should call them 'discussions' on here to avoid confusion. :sweat_smile:
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Hello @OverlyAnxious! It's really lovely to see your username on my screen, I hope you're keeping well. 

I've just discussed this with the team and although we appreciate your frustration, automatically locking threads after a period of inactivity isn't a function we are able to readily implement right now. The good news is we are exploring archiving and post retention options so another solution may present itself soon, fingers crossed.

I agree @Biblioklept - I'm quite partial to searching for parenting advice ( :D ) and often end up on years old threads on other forums. It's always a relief to know someone else has been through the same thing, but I equally get how confusion could arise giving them a 'bump'. The joys of community life eh!
    Thanks Cher.  Hopefully a suitable solution can be found soon.  :)
  • DayDreamBeliever
    DayDreamBeliever Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    To add to this, on mobile (for me anyway) I can't see the dates that discussions or comments were made. Is this something that is being looked into? I don't want to be commenting on posts that are no longer relevant but I almost exclusively use mobile and theres no way for me to tell 
    Pronouns: She/they 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,378 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To add to this, on mobile (for me anyway) I can't see the dates that discussions or comments were made. Is this something that is being looked into? I don't want to be commenting on posts that are no longer relevant but I almost exclusively use mobile and theres no way for me to tell 

Sometimes i will use my mobile and i can see the dates where a thread was posted. I can see it on the top right hand side of the comment itself.

Usually newer threads will be at the top of that page, the older the thread the further down the page it will be. The more pages you click on the older the thread will be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DayDreamBeliever
    Options

Sometimes i will use my mobile and i can see the dates where a thread was posted. I can see it on the top right hand side of the comment itself.

Usually newer threads will be at the top of that page, the older the thread the further down the page it will be. The more pages you click on the older the thread will be.
    Yeah unfortunately it doesn't show for me on mobile at all. Maybe to do with what web browser is used or something. 

And it seems that comments on the discussion makes then move up in the list again? Just as I noticed one earlier at the top of a section but could see from the recent comments that it was an 11 year old post, but without those comments I wouldn't have known it was an old post at all lol
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, if someone comments it will be pushed to the top of that page. Blimey i've never seen anyone comment on a thread that old. Sometimes people will comment on a thread that is a few years old.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    @DayDreamBeliever I bought a new phone and I also can't see the dates and times in the top right corner. With my old phone it still shows. Strange 🤷
  • life
    edited June 2023
    Options
  • life
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    life said:
    @DayDreamBeliever I bought a new phone and I also can't see the dates and times in the top right corner. With my old phone it still shows. Strange 🤷

Out of curiosity what phone do you have? I have an iphone and have had them for many years, i've always been able to see the date/time of the comment.
  • life
    Options
    Hi poppy and the old phone is a Motorola Edge from 2021 which is showing time and date. The new phone is Samsung galaxy s23 ultra.

I've updated chrome on the phone but still the same. 
  • DayDreamBeliever
    Options
    life said:
    New phone
    Yeah this is exactly how it shows on my phone! Also using chrome but on a pixel 7a so maybe an issue with the latest version of android 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this information @DayDreamBeliever and @life, I'll pass it on to the team.

At the moment I'm not sure how much we will be able to do to rectify it, as it might be an issue with certain browsers, or something else external/outside of our control! 

But it's good for us to know, so thank you :) We'll keep you updated if we can.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • life
    Options
  • life
    Options
    @DayDreamBeliever we'll just have to try get on with our lives without it, how difficult that may be 😁 😉

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.