Pip assessment over phone — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment over phone

Options
DDN1429
DDN1429 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
Hi everyone, so tomorrow is the dreaded day for PIP assessment, and this will be done by phone call.  This is a new claim, several years ago, I was on high enhanced daily living and standard mobility (this was after going to tribunal). I left the UK and obviously all benefits stopped as I was away for some time and when came back to the UK in 2018 hadn't applied until September 2022 as couldn't cope with starting all over again with it.

I have cerebral palsy affecting my RHS and I'm right handed. Causing mobility problems, poor motor skills, hand to eye coordination isn't great. Now have pain and discomfort in hip and/or lower back due to alignment of hip and mis-shaped socket (according to fairly recent x-ray) and GP says not much can be done, will probably lead to arthritis (I'm 36). I don't drive, as don't think I could manage the pedals and mirrors. I'm not safe preparing meals, lost count of times I've seriously burnt/scalded/cut myself.  I have recently been prescribed baclofen again to combat tension but not great side affects - anyone any input on medication aspects? 

Has anyone any advice for call assessment, I'm more nervous about that than when I had face to face all them years ago.  I'm already in mindset of unsuccessful due to past personal experience and from what heard from others.  Appreciate anyone who reads this 🙏

Comments

• DDN1429
    Options
    Apologies, my stated previous award in the OP is wrong way round, I was on standard daily living and enhanced mobility.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Take your time answering, your there to put your day to day difficulties across, give real world examples and have a copy of your form in front of you to help you answer the questions being asked. Good luck, update once you've had the assessment.    
  • DDN1429
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Take your time answering, your there to put your day to day difficulties across, give real world examples and have a copy of your form in front of you to help you answer the questions being asked. Good luck, update once you've had the assessment.    
    I will, I struggle at times when flustered and start stumbling/stuttering with words so will definitely try take my time and have plenty of examples. I need to print out copy of form I filled out, it wasn't filled out the best in honesty as had no help. 

Not sure if to mention either that I have award of Disabled Student Allowance for assistive learning technology etc or if this would go against me? 

My other worry is that during the call, I know I will feel constantly on defensive side which could most likely lead to frustration and heightened state shall we say. 

Also, there seems to be conflicting info with regards to recording the call at my end so anyones input on this matter would be appreciated.
  • rebel11
    Options
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:
    I will, I struggle at times when flustered and start stumbling/stuttering with words so will definitely try take my time and have plenty of examples. I need to print out copy of form I filled out, it wasn't filled out the best in honesty as had no help. 

Not sure if to mention either that I have award of Disabled Student Allowance for assistive learning technology etc or if this would go against me? 

My other worry is that during the call, I know I will feel constantly on defensive side which could most likely lead to frustration and heightened state shall we say. 

Also, there seems to be conflicting info with regards to recording the call at my end so anyones input on this matter would be appreciated.
    a) Not sure if to mention either that I have award of Disabled Student Allowance for assistive learning technology etc or if this would go against me? 

If you think it will go against you, don't mention it, you need to concentrate on 'real world examples'.

b) My other worry is that during the call, I know I will feel constantly on defensive side which could most likely lead to frustration and heightened state shall we say. 

If that happens, just ask for a few minutes, to regain your 'composure', get some water, etc. 

c) Also, there seems to be conflicting info with regards to recording the call at my end so anyones input on this matter would be appreciated.

At the start, tell the Assessor you want to Record the Assessment. They will read out some don'ts regarding the Recording, once you agree that you won't, they will allow you to Record the assessment. Start Recording.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

a) Not sure if to mention either that I have award of Disabled Student Allowance for assistive learning technology etc or if this would go against me? 

If you think it will go against you, don't mention it, you need to concentrate on 'real world examples'.

b) My other worry is that during the call, I know I will feel constantly on defensive side which could most likely lead to frustration and heightened state shall we say. 

If that happens, just ask for a few minutes, to regain your 'composure', get some water, etc. 

c) Also, there seems to be conflicting info with regards to recording the call at my end so anyones input on this matter would be appreciated.

At the start, tell the Assessor you want to Record the Assessment. They will read out some don'ts regarding the Recording, once you agree that you won't, they will allow you to Record the assessment. Start Recording.
    Not strictly true.  There are comments on here that say the assessor stopped the meeting straight away.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

Not strictly true.  There are comments on here that say the assessor stopped the meeting straight away.

Agreed. I did advise this on another thread that some assessors will not agree to the recording and they are within their rights to disagree and end the assessment. 
    This is why I usually advise if you want it recorded then you should ring before the day of the assessment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    Options
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

Agreed. I did advise this on another thread that some assessors will not agree to the recording and they are within their rights to disagree and end the assessment. 
    This is why I usually advise if you want it recorded then you should ring before the day of the assessment. 
    IAS rang me the day before my assessment, I assume it was a 'courtesy call', I said 'I'd like the assessment recorded' (I've asked this for every assessment with the DWP, face to face etc). I was told that the Assessor won't have the equipment to record, I asked her 'how I should record it', she told me 'how'. So ask permission (they read out a statement) before the assessment starts, I forgot initially, then remembered just before the actual assessment started. If they say 'sorry you can't record the assessment', then I would lodge a complaint with the DWP. There is no reason at all you why you can't record, but you need to make them aware before the assessment.     

• poppy123456
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

IAS rang me the day before my assessment, I assume it was a 'courtesy call', I said 'I'd like the assessment recorded' (I've asked this for every assessment with the DWP, face to face etc). I was told that the Assessor won't have the equipment to record, I asked her 'how I should record it', she told me 'how'. So ask permission (they read out a statement) before the assessment starts, I forgot initially, then remembered just before the actual assessment started. If they say 'sorry you can't record the assessment', then I would lodge a complaint with the DWP. There is no reason at all you why you can't record, but you need to make them aware before the assessment.     

So you did ring before the day of the assessment, which is as i keep advising, rather than ask on the day of the assessment. You've advised on other threads to ask on the day of the assessment.

An assessor is within their rights not to agree to a recording.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rebel11
    edited February 2023
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

So you did ring before the day of the assessment, which is as i keep advising, rather than ask on the day of the assessment. You've advised on other threads to ask on the day of the assessment.

An assessor is within their rights not to agree to a recording.
    You didn't read the first sentence, 'IAS rang me the day before my assessment', they rang me. It stands to reason, that Assessors won't have recording equipment at home, they won't have time to send out recordings. So assessors saying no is 'laughable', the DWP has said you can record your assessment, so everything else is nonsense. There is nothing wrong with asking on the day, as I had to.

If you ask the day before, you should receive the same advice, the Assessor is prepared if a Claimant asks. They have the statement.
  • DDN1429
    Options
    I appreciate all of the above advice, I didn't get chance to call them yesterday, but I shall request recording at the very start and explain it is for my own reflection and to try help in improvement on self confidence etc.

2 and half hours to go and stomach is doing summersaults.  Got my copy of pip form, I'd also rang in with extra information after sending form and they made note of that on application. 

I've already got notes set out for MD and possible appeal as just remembering how it went last time all them years ago.

Will keep you all updated.
  • rebel11
    Options
    DDN1429 said:
    I appreciate all of the above advice, I didn't get chance to call them yesterday, but I shall request recording at the very start and explain it is for my own reflection and to try help in improvement on self confidence etc.

2 and half hours to go and stomach is doing summersaults.  Got my copy of pip form, I'd also rang in with extra information after sending form and they made note of that on application. 

I've already got notes set out for MD and possible appeal as just remembering how it went last time all them years ago.

Good stuff, good luck, answer at your own pace, don't feel rushed.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    DDN1429 said:poppy123456 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

Look at what Poppy has said. A lady that definitely gives great advice. If you request the recording today before the start of your assessment, they are within their rights to end the assessment, which then of course means you’ll have to wait for a later date.
    Good luck with the assessment. Charge phone up, have glass of water next to you, take your time. You’ll be fine, but I know it’s stressful. All be over soon.
  • DDN1429
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    DDN1429 said:poppy123456 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:
    rebel11 said:

Look at what Poppy has said. A lady that definitely gives great advice. If you request the recording today before the start of your assessment, they are within their rights to end the assessment, which then of course means you’ll have to wait for a later date.
    Good luck with the assessment. Charge phone up, have glass of water next to you, take your time. You’ll be fine, but I know it’s stressful. All be over soon.
    Absolutely have taken all advice on board, I will enquire about recording, if they decline, I won't record.

Thanks you, and can't wait for it to be over. I'll let you all know later how it went :-)
  • DDN1429
    Options
    Just an update for everyone, assessor was late at calling, which was no problem as understand can be held back for various reasons.

The assessor was very polite and after initial security clarifications, immediately brought up previous claim several years ago - I've  mentioned about this in my Original Post, this comment had taken me aback slightly, but had already informed the assessor that my partner was present for support and if need to speak on my behalf.

What followed was the expected questions, which I managed to answer honestly and openly, but was referring to previous claim, as far as I can remember, the previous claim ran from 2013 till 2017 and as I left the country did not reapply. Obviously my circumstances have changed regards to personal life, but I also explained that as time had progressed since previous claim, pain and/discomfort has worsened - especially regards to right hip, lower back etc.  The assessor seemed to be taking everything down, including the fact I am awaiting referrals to neurophysiotherpist, have just recently started baclofen, and that I also have ongoing referrals for fainting/seizure episodes (my partner even discussed these with the assessor as witnessed two, one in which had evacuated my bladder in the process).

We discussed my not working for over a month, and my struggling at university, the support they offer/provide but I feel because I try to better my life by working and further education this will go against me.

I decided last minute not to record, or even to request recording the assessment, mainly due to the fact that my previous claim was at hand (tha claim had went to tribunal and was successful). I have made notes of how I answered each question and already preparing for MD and appeal etc, and as ever will keep you all informed.
  • rebel11
    Options
    Hopefully a favorable outcome, if not make sure you use the MR form and get Proof of Postage.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration-pip/

• DDN1429
    Options
    Another update for all you guys, you will be sick of me shortly  :D

Recieved text from DWP at 0803 this morning to confirm they have received assessors report from yesterday's assessment and given an estimate of up to eight weeks for descision. So now shall impatiently play the waiting game lol.

Is it common for the assessor to have access to my previous claim - gap of over 6 years from then and this new claim. Is it likely that the assessor would have had details of also going to tribunal for the previous claim (successful at tribunal) 

Thanks in advance for any advice forthcoming  :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes they sometimes have access to a previous claim. I don't think they would have known you took it to Tribunal for your previous claim.
  • DDN1429
    Options
    I did mention to the assessor when brought it up I had went to a tribunal and won, not sure whether I should of just bit my tongue though and said nothing.
  • rebel11
    Options
    DDN1429 said:
    I did mention to the assessor when brought it up I had went to a tribunal and won, not sure whether I should of just bit my tongue though and said nothing.

You need to distract yourself, stop thinking about it, await the decision, if it's not positive, then regroup, go for for MR / Appeal.
  • DDN1429
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    DDN1429 said:

You need to distract yourself, stop thinking about it, await the decision, if it's not positive, then regroup, go for for MR / Appeal.
    I know, I know, I pretty much have switched off from it, and got prepped for not great outcome. Got plenty to be kept on with, but thank you  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.