If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is cherryblossom! i wanted to ask about my LCWRA.

Options
cherryblossom
cherryblossom Community member Posts: 28 Listener
edited April 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
i wanted to ask about my LCWRA. So my first fit note was handed in on the 15/03/2022
this lasted until 27/02/2023. I had my assessment feb 9th and got my decision back on 14/02/2023. i just wanted to know how the waiting period works and when i might start getting paid. i asked on my journal but they said i cant ask questions and will just have to wait. My lcwra lasts a year.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,135 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What date do you usually receive your money each month?
    LCWRA has no timescale, it's an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    i usually recieve my money onthe 21st of every month 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Can i just check that your date here is correct? or did you mean 2023?
    i wanted to ask about my LCWRA. So my first fit note was handed in on the 15/03/2022

If it is correct then your waiting period will be.. March to June.. LCWRA element starts from assessment period June 15th to July 14th and first payment will be 21st July 2022.

You will need to check this months statement to make sure the element is included. Any money owed will be paid separately to your usual monthly money.

The above advice assumes you're not claiming UC with a partner that already claims the LCWRA element on your claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    the date is correct its 15/03/2022
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    So I’m back again I still haven’t been paid anything. I’ve sent UC a message and going to wait for them to reply to me tomorrow. I spoke to a woman a few days ago because I they had to change my claim since they never did it and she said there are 2 types of lwcra one where you get paid and one where you don’t, is this true? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    she said there are 2 types of lwcra one where you get paid and one where you don’t, is this true? 
    Limited Capability for Work. (LCW) doesn't entitle you to extra money each month, since the rule changes for claims after April 2017.

Limited capability For Work Related Activity (LCWRA) entitles you to extra money each month, providing you're not claiming UC with a partner that already receives this element on your claim.

Can i also ask what you mean by "they had to change my claim"
    I spoke to a woman a few days ago because I they had to change my claim since they never did it

Can i also double check that the decision was definitely LCWRA and not just LCW? You can double check the decision letter on your journal.

• cherryblossom
    Options
    The decision was LCWRA. And they had to change my claim so that I wouldn’t have to look for work because they never did it when I got my letter back in February. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then you need to put a message on your journal under the payment section and ask about the LCWRA element. Ask why it hasn't beein included in your statements and why you haven't received what is owed to you.
    Remind them what date you reported your health condition and what date you sent your first fit note.
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    Ok I will thank you. I’ll let you know what they say 
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    This is what they said. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yet the decision was made in Feb so this shouldn't be happening. Can i just asked if the LCWRA element has been included on your statements since the decision was made?
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    The LCWRA isn’t on any of my bank statements or my UC payment. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It won't be on your bank statements because it's paid as part of UC. It would be on your statements for UC.

It's not acceptable that they still haven't included the LCWRA element in your claim. You had the decision in Feb, which is 5 months ago. If it was me then i would be contacting my local MP and explain to them exactly what's happened and hopefully they will contact UC on your behalf to get them shifted! https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/contact-your-mp/

• cherryblossom
    Options
    Thank you so much I will do this and see what happens 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you been able to do this yet @cherryblossom? If so, I am just wondering if you would like to share a little more with us about how this has gone for you and if there is anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    so i got my first lcwra payment today which is 390.06. they put that my assessment period was between 15th to 14th auguat 2023 and that there are no backdated payments to be made to me 

• poppy123456
    Options
     that there are no backdated payments to be made to me 

That's not correct based on the information you gave earlier in the thread. As i advised here.

your waiting period will be.. March to June.. LCWRA element starts from assessment period June 15th to July 14th and first payment will be 21st July 2022.

I'd advise you to request the Mandatory Reconsideration on the decision not to award you LCWRA from the assessment period in which you sent your first fit note, way back in 2022. First payment should have been July 2022.

• cherryblossom
    Options
    so i should ask them to reconsider the assessment period and look at when i sent my first fit note which was in march 2022 so this should mean my assessment should have been done from that year instead of this year

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You should request a Mandatory Reconsideration via your journal under 'payments' as poppy mentions because the DWP have incorrectly said you are not due any backpayments. Say when you first provided your fit note (15/03/2022), &, providing these have been continuous, then, as poppy also says, you should have received backpayment from 21/07/2022 based on your assessment periods from the 15th -14th of each month.
  • cherryblossom
    Options
    They said ''Your august payment covers assessment period 15th july to 14th august 2023. there is no need for Mandatory Reconsideration due to your payment being correctly calculated.''
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.