Food prices: Have you changed what you eat? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food prices: Have you changed what you eat?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger

Are you eating the same as you were three years ago?

According to latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), food and non-alcoholic drink prices are rising faster than in the previous 45 years.

There's uncertainty over how we should best feed ourselves and our families. We’ve seen an increase in food bank needs, in cheap food purchasing and food sharing app downloads, and an increase or worsening of long-term health conditions. With local health chiefs saying “the increasing cost of essential food and energy has created a second health emergency” after covid.

Over to you:

• How have you been affected by rising food prices? 
  • Do you have any tips for eating healthy on a budget? 
  • Do you follow anyone online for food, recipe, or budget ideas?
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    This is a topic that I feel passionately about, so I did a little research.

The average price of a basket of shopping, using Which statistics from March 2023, shows Aldi came out top with 41 items costing £72.54. Only beating runner up Lidl by 25p.

But what I find missing from a lot of these comparison statistics of a basket or even a trolley full of shopping, is a diet consisting of what our health professionals say we need. Because we can be so stressed about eating something, I question how many people think about nutritional value? Do you?

I looked at the NHS’s Eat Well webpages for a balanced diet and I can see why so many people struggle to afford a healthier diet.

Using one example, that we must eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day. I decided to see what the cost of 5 portions of fresh strawberries would be to a basket worth of groceries.

Considering a portion would be 80g we would need a 400g punnet of strawberries. Priced at £2.19 in Aldi, we can assume a basket would have 3 days’ worth. Totalling £6.57 for just the fruit part of our 5 a day.

You could substitute that 400g of fresh fruit for frozen, with Aldi offering a 350g bag of frozen strawberries for £1.65. But I would have to assume you have a freezer or that, with the rising energy bills, you could afford to run your freezer.

You may ask why I used strawberries as an example.

I live with a stoma and find it hard to have fibre in my diet. Fruits like bananas can cause constipation issues when eaten in larger amounts and I cannot eat a lot of fruit skins. Strawberries are the perfect go to for someone with a disability like mine. But with rising costs, I find it harder each day to find a balance.

So, I went in search online. I have found many different social media influencers, like Meals by Mitch, who cooks hearty dinners for under £5.00 and includes ways to get a balanced diet.

Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have had our groceries delivered by Tesco for 18 months or more now and find we spend less because we only buy what we need, we pay £4.99 a month for as many deliveries we want after 3pm (over £50 now was £40) but we also save £100 a month on taxis to and from Tescos,its been a win win for us
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,827 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Very interesting and well put @Hannah_Scope
    I just wanted to add that pulses can be cheap, like chick peas, lentils etc. I appreciate that not many would like these foods, but those that do, can make many meals using those, also they can be used to bulk out meals too.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    We have had our groceries delivered by Tesco for 18 months or more now and find we spend less because we only buy what we need, we pay £4.99 a month for as many deliveries we want after 3pm (over £50 now was £40) but we also save £100 a month on taxis to and from Tescos,its been a win win for us
    I've always shopped online too because I can't shop any other way, but it would definitely save me making lots of impulse buys and costs of transport, couldn't get to the shops a couple of times a week for that price.

BUT things like fruit and veg are often nearly off so I get lots of wasted because I can't pick items I would like as I would in a shop
  • woodbine
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I've always shopped online too because I can't shop any other way, but it would definitely save me making lots of impulse buys and costs of transport, couldn't get to the shops a couple of times a week for that price.

BUT things like fruit and veg are often nearly off so I get lots of wasted because I can't pick items I would like as I would in a shop
    We find Tesco fruit and veg are usually pretty good, waiting now till Aldi roll out delivery nationwide (its inside the M25 now)

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Are they going to do deliveries @woodbine that be good if they did
  • woodbine
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Are they going to do deliveries @woodbine that be good if they did
    I believe that's the plan eventually but they are trailing it at a very limited number of stores inside the M25 at the moment, they do deliver non food items.

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Well hopefully the do
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    What we eat and our shopping habit hasn't changed over the past 3 years.
    I have noticed that the quality of fresh joints of meat along with fresh fruit & veg at Tesco has gone downhill. We still buy our 'specials' for the week from either M&S or Waitrose. Can't remember the last time we went into an Aldi/Lidl/Asda or Morrisons store.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Some really interesting points, especially about use by dates on deliveries. We have stopped shopping with Asda because of use by dates. Bought one of their 3 for offers on meats for dinners and all 3 had a use by date of the day after the delivery. Ended up freezing 2, but we found it happened a further 2 times.

I know it is a guidance with a lot of products, and a day won't make the difference but on principal it isn't great.
    Hannah - She / Her

• De38
    De38 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    My shopping bill is crazy high, I only eat one main meal a day plus my breakfast serial. As it so happens Im recently been told Im pre-Diabetes, so I have cut out tons of nicer foods and sweets.  Veg, chicken, rice, and lots of stir-fries for me. Aldi seems to have most things I want.  Its made me start to make meals more than ever rather than processed foods.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    I didn't change what I ate, just didn't put the heating on at all. To control diabetes, I eat OMAD (that I always have done) & low carb/keto. So all fresh foods, but some certain ingredients can be pricey, that doesn't include the general (almost weekly) price rises of meat, fish, eggs, veg & berry fruits. The normal staples that are relatively cheap, spuds, pasta, rice & breads are out. It has been difficult though, money never lasting the month. Because of reasons some have already said re deliveries, plus the swaps they make for some foods not being available, I prefer going myself. Luckily, I have the choice of four different supermarkets within powerchair range, two of them being Aldi & Lidl, plus a few other shops.
  • Dreadwitch
    Dreadwitch Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options

Are you eating the same as you were three years ago?

According to latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), food and non-alcoholic drink prices are rising faster than in the previous 45 years.

There's uncertainty over how we should best feed ourselves and our families. We’ve seen an increase in food bank needs, in cheap food purchasing and food sharing app downloads, and an increase or worsening of long-term health conditions. With local health chiefs saying “the increasing cost of essential food and energy has created a second health emergency” after covid.

Over to you:

• How have you been affected by rising food prices? 
    • Do you have any tips for eating healthy on a budget? 
    • Do you follow anyone online for food, recipe, or budget ideas?
    Currently wondering if I'm suffering from malnutrition because I've eaten nothing much more than 2 year old Aldi super noodles for the last 6 months. 
    I had my pip stopped because apparently I'm now cured of copd, autism, adhd and fibromyalgia. I can't go through the appeal process because mentally I can't cope. This leaves me with £55 a week after deductions from my ESA, I have to pay £5 council tax, £9 water, £12 bedroom tax, £5 heating charge, £20 electric, £15 heating... Obviously I don't pay everything every week as my outgoings are more than my income. I can't shop online because I can't afford the minimum amount for delivery, I don't have a supermarket within walking distance, not that I could walk there and back if I did. I have no food banks, no community kitchens or anything else like that and the only shops are 2 local very expensive corner shops. I tried a few food apps but again they're pointless when there is nowhere nearby, I live a 20 minute bus ride away from civilisation.
    Last year I sold anything of value so have no tv, radio or any other form of entertainment other than my very old phone, thankfully my neighbour allows me to use her wifi. I haven't eat fruit or veg since I can't remember, pre covid I was a healthy 9 stone, now I weigh 6.7stone and I'm losing weight every day. I've repeatedly asked my council for help but they keep telling me that because I'm a 53 year old adult who lives independently I'm not entitled to anything. I didn't get any cost of living payments due to the dwp messing up my ESA claim and them saying that I didn't fulfill the criteria on certain dates.
    I've lived through some pretty tough times but nothing like this, at least when I had children I could get help, now nobody helps someone of my age. It saddens me because I raised a family while working part time then full time until my health meant I could no longer work, I contributed yet I'm now not getting anything back.
    I feel as though I exist, I don't live. I don't go anywhere because I can't afford the bus, I can't walk because I have copd and cannot breathe. 
    In the last 3 years my life has gone from ok to absolutely awful and I often wonder what the point is, but thanks to this government I will no doubt live less than a few years.. I'm sure that's their plan, kill off the weak and disabled. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,824 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Giving personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, email addresses etc etc isn't allowed here on scope to protect members. Scope also do not support members meeting up in person, again to protect members.

Having said that i have met someone on here but we had "known each other" for a couple of years before we actually met in person. We also spoke on the phone quite a few times before meeting. When we did eventually meet at a shopping centre for the first time in Feb 2022, we had some families members with us just to be safe. (though we did fully trust each other)

We have become very good friends and now speak on the phone every week. I've also visited her in her home quite a few times, with yesterday being the most recent visit. She doesn't live too far from me. My daughter comes with me. not for safety or anything but just because she's really likes her too. (as well as to see her lovely little cat)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Dreadwitch, thank you for sharing a bit about your situation with us. Have you spoken with your GP at all? They sometimes have access to things in your area and could arrange tests to check for malnutrition. Our website has some ideas for free food and accessing food banks, I know you said you don't believe there's any in your area but in exceptional circumstances many are able to deliver food.

I'm going to send you an email with some additional signposting, so please look out for that!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds like you are having a difficult time at the moment @Whymeiwonder2 :( Is there any heating support available to you and your wife? Have you tried charity shops and the pound shop for candles?

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to support you and your wife. We are all here for both of you  :)

@tomm - I hear you! The same products but the prices have gone up so much and sometimes for smaller volumes. Do you buy these products still, just out of curiosity?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    @Dreadwitch I trust matters will improve for you? They certainly can't get worse. I hope someone has given you the help you need or set you on the road to find that help. 
  • Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options

But what I find missing from a lot of these comparison statistics of a basket or even a trolley full of shopping, is a diet consisting of what our health professionals say we need. Because we can be so stressed about eating something, I question how many people think about nutritional value? Do you?

I'm please you pointed this out as many of my regular food items have definitely increased more than the stated percentages, in some instances items have more than doubled in price.
    There are many food items we can't switch for alternatives (one of my children has ARFID and my autistic children aren't very flexible around food either) so as a result of the costs now being unmanageable we (myself and my partner) are just going without and skipping meals. When you're on a fixed income it only stretches so far. 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope
    Sorry can’t afford some foods that would help, we try but budget is limited. Our gas electric bill has gone up by 50%!
    Wow!

Mine has come down from £260 to £180 a month.
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I got into the habit of going shopping around 5pm when all the yellow labels start going on and just get everything like that.  If I don't need it right now, then I freeze it, specifically meat or bread items.

I couldn't believe it, I went the other day and the bottle of Olive Oil I used to buy had gone up by £2.50!!!

I have thought about online shopping, but as it's only me, I think I would struggle to spend the £40 or so minimum payment.  Plus, I would miss out on all the reduced stuff.  I probably spend more than £40 when I go, but that's because I buy lots of reduced things.

I also tend to do OMAD, which means I can buy healthy items, my only downfall is crisps - totally addicted.

I also find it hard because I do need to use my credit card, not only because I get points for spending, but because my UC and PIP always come around the same time, so I have to use it.  I have struggled because even the month's where I have told myself not to buy anything I don't explicitly need, I still end up wondering the bill got so big.

I think I will struggle in future because 1 of the credit cards I use is changing the way they calculate minimum payments and it's going up.  Only alternative is to close the account.

I don't know if this is completely off topic, but I notice some others have mentioned utilities - I just found out that my gas hasnt been billed for 3 months because the smart meter stopped communicating and they never told me!!!  Thankfully, I have now given them a meter reading and I'm still in credit, but obviously, it's not accurate as the prices went up in April.

Years ago, thankfully, I got into the habit of making certain things for myself, so I make my own washing detergent, fabric softener, moisturiser and deodorant - it does make things a bit cheaper for me.  I hope to be able to switch to homemade shampoo and conditioner too.

I also noticed ASDA promoting their double size toilet rolls, twice the size of the original ones, except the width of them are getting much smaller.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.