If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food prices: Have you changed what you eat?

Options
13»

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Purrrrrrr Is this pub independent or part of a chain? sounds so good! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope you are all as good as you can be. I used to go to a pub near to Kings Cross (in central London). The food was out of this world and everything was fresh. For reasons I don't know, the publicans liked me and I got spoilt rotten!

Anyway, I don't buy organic food. Sometimes I buy organic but generally not. I don't like the look of organic veg so don't buy it.

As for the boxes, for me personally they are a total waste of money. What is wrong in going to your local supermarket and buying a cauliflower, a carrot or a cabbage? 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City Hello, Hope you are keeping well?

Sounds like a lovely pub :) I think the benefit of the boxes is convenience, having everything prepped and ready to go. I do think it would be a great idea for supermarkets to do more 'box style' meal ideas. Like they do a stew set in Morrisons which has swede, carrots, turnips and parsnips and every time I see one I think, you know what I will do a stew for dinner this week :D 

@Purrrrrrr Thank you :) Added it to my list! I like seeing more independent businesses do so well!
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope Yes, I am well thank you. Sometimes I get a bit down and blue, but don't we all? I am lucky! I get over it quickly and life goes on.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @EffinMuppet I am willing to sacrifice myself and stand in for you at your works BBQ! I will happily be the victim of gluttony and booze....

Seriously, I don't eat too much myself and I tend to analyse what I am eating. I like to cook from scratch but occasionally buy a ready meal.

@Hannah_Scope I see your point about boxes being convenient, and of course convenience always costs a bit extra but can be well worth it in the time you save. I do buy the odd kit myself; admittedly it makes life easy.

But to answer your original question: No, I haven't changed how I eat. I am only responsible for myself now. I have no animals to look after. I have no expensive hobbies or indulgences. I sometimes cook very cheaply (pasta with pesto, for example, or corned beef stew), but other times I will buy something expensive. I buy a lot of food when it is on its use by date and they reduce the price. I also cook in bulk for the freezer. Generally, I am quite good at "stretching" food. I have cooked like this for decades, so my food buying habits haven't changed.  

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City I find the boxes a great way to try new recipes. Agreeing with @letitgo about portion size. I find it harder to find smaller portions of some items. It's why I think refill stations at Supermarkets is a great idea. But when I want to try a new recipe and for example can only find the spices needed in bigger jars. I always think, I may not like them, or use them again. So I go with a box as it all comes with everything you'd need. 

@EffinMuppet You make a good point about how those with disabilities have either always had to, or had periods, when they have had to budget. I found my diet changed with my disability and at one point, a few years ago, I was told to try gluten free items to see if it helped my symptoms. It didn't, but I remember that for a couple of months I was unable to pick up treats, food and otherwise. As the price difference was hugely significant.
    Hannah - She / Her

• karanight
    karanight Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options

Are you eating the same as you were three years ago?

According to latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), food and non-alcoholic drink prices are rising faster than in the previous 45 years.

There's uncertainty over how we should best feed ourselves and our families. We’ve seen an increase in food bank needs, in cheap food purchasing and food sharing app downloads, and an increase or worsening of long-term health conditions. With local health chiefs saying “the increasing cost of essential food and energy has created a second health emergency” after covid.

Over to you:

• How have you been affected by rising food prices? 
    • Do you have any tips for eating healthy on a budget? 
    • Do you follow anyone online for food, recipe, or budget ideas?
    Currently wondering if I'm suffering from malnutrition because I've eaten nothing much more than 2 year old Aldi super noodles for the last 6 months. 
    I had my pip stopped because apparently I'm now cured of copd, autism, adhd and fibromyalgia. I can't go through the appeal process because mentally I can't cope. This leaves me with £55 a week after deductions from my ESA, I have to pay £5 council tax, £9 water, £12 bedroom tax, £5 heating charge, £20 electric, £15 heating... Obviously I don't pay everything every week as my outgoings are more than my income. I can't shop online because I can't afford the minimum amount for delivery, I don't have a supermarket within walking distance, not that I could walk there and back if I did. I have no food banks, no community kitchens or anything else like that and the only shops are 2 local very expensive corner shops. I tried a few food apps but again they're pointless when there is nowhere nearby, I live a 20 minute bus ride away from civilisation.
    Last year I sold anything of value so have no tv, radio or any other form of entertainment other than my very old phone, thankfully my neighbour allows me to use her wifi. I haven't eat fruit or veg since I can't remember, pre covid I was a healthy 9 stone, now I weigh 6.7stone and I'm losing weight every day. I've repeatedly asked my council for help but they keep telling me that because I'm a 53 year old adult who lives independently I'm not entitled to anything. I didn't get any cost of living payments due to the dwp messing up my ESA claim and them saying that I didn't fulfill the criteria on certain dates.
    I've lived through some pretty tough times but nothing like this, at least when I had children I could get help, now nobody helps someone of my age. It saddens me because I raised a family while working part time then full time until my health meant I could no longer work, I contributed yet I'm now not getting anything back.
    I feel as though I exist, I don't live. I don't go anywhere because I can't afford the bus, I can't walk because I have copd and cannot breathe. 
    In the last 3 years my life has gone from ok to absolutely awful and I often wonder what the point is, but thanks to this government I will no doubt live less than a few years.. I'm sure that's their plan, kill off the weak and disabled. 
    I congratulate you being able to write such a detailed description of your situation. It must have been hard for you, but well done
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.