If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food prices: Have you changed what you eat?

Options

Comments

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options

I also noticed ASDA promoting their double size toilet rolls, twice the size of the original ones, except the width of them are getting much smaller.
    Now that is a problem in the making. How are those with large posteriors  going to manage with mini width toilet paper - the mind boggles.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options

I also noticed ASDA promoting their double size toilet rolls, twice the size of the original ones, except the width of them are getting much smaller.
    Now that is a problem in the making. How are those with large posteriors  going to manage with mini width toilet paper - the mind boggles.

:D
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    I eat well yet economically, and I haven't really changed the way I eat, cook or shop. For decades I have batch cooked for the freezer. For me that is the easiest and most economical way of cooking. I buy a lot of food on its use by date and I make use of special offers to the point where I will bulk buy. I waste very little food. I have all of life's luxuries in the freezer but almost nothing is bought at full price and I plan well ahead for special occasion meals.

I have used supermarket own brands now for a very long time as generally they are as good as the branded stuff. I use frozen veg as I can't always use an entire cabbage for instance. I bake 2 loaves at once. The kneading and rising time is the same as making 1 loaf, time in the oven is the same (so no extra for electricity) and I will cook something for my evening meal at the same time. So everything really is in the planning.

I have stopped buying fresh herbs in supermarkets as I find them overpiced and not very flavourful. So that is one change that I have made.

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 496 Pioneering
    Options
    Not yet, but I will have to change, as what I have been spending isnt sustainable, my supermarket deliveries compared to 2 years ago have just hit the 50% inflation mark.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    Apparently, food prices are going to fall, but they have said that for some time.

I had a bottle of Lucozade, 33oml, now when I've had it previously, it was filled to the brim, now there's a huge chunk missing, so it's probably 300ml. They tell us how fantastic it is, then claw-back 30ml. 
    Hilarious!!      
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options

Are you mocking me?
    Because I don't appreciate it.
    This is the second time you have responded to a post of mine in a negative manner.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @Purrrrrrr
    I get my eggs from the local farms.  They work out cheaper and are 100% free range. ( obviously when they are allowed to roam)  I also keep these for a good few mths and they are perfectly fine.   if I can't use them all I freeze them, I used too dry them but don't anymore. 

I didnt know you could freeze eggs!

I would like to learn how to make my own butter, probably cheaper than buying it!  I literally just bought 6 blocks that had £1 off and froze them.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Purrrrrrr said:
    One of the worst things they ever did was to put dates on food. I remember before those days and we all used our noses, our sight and the tip of our tongues to test food. it's very much a lost art now and sadly good food gets thrown away.  
    I still do that.  I have eaten fresh chicken 5 days past its use by date.  Milk I have managed to go 30 days past.  i think the sniff test works best.

I do think people get confused by different terms though, use by and best before are totally different and then there's the sell by date, which again is different.  I just don't take any notice.

I have noticed though, they have started removing dates from some things.  It does annoy me slightly though as I used to only use those dates to gauge which ones I should open first, now I can't tell which ones I bought first.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Purrrrrrr said:

Yes, you can.   Not in the shell though.   

Put the double cream into a mixing bowl and mix until the fat separates from the buttermilk  Drain it and then wash and wash it under running water squeezing it to make sure all the milk has been washed out or it will smell sour ( it takes a while ).   Then salt or flavour it and just pat it into blocks or balls. There are load you youtube videos on how to do it 
    Ah great, thanks :smile:
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @Autism_at_40      I guess the bottom line is we shouldn’t have to suffer because we don’t have enough money to buy what we want. Food banks for us, problem being there aren’t any local ones where we live so it means a car journey to get stuff which of course uses petrol! Can’t win!
    Yes they keep going on about food and fuel prices going down but it just isn’t happening at the moment?!
    Yes, that is true.  Especially when I keep seeing that the supermarkets are still profiting when prices come down.

I am very lucky in that I have a Tesco Extra, an ASDA and an Aldi within 5-10 minute of where I live, so don't use a lot of petrol getting there.

There's always the apps you can get, 'olio' and 'too good to go' they're for people giving away food that they don't want or need.  Just got to see what is local as again driving too far for something free, doesn't work out.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Oh, I was so hungry once, I ate mouldy sandwiches.

Don't forget that sugar tax they slapped on everything!

LOL - yeah some people do have disposable income, Rishi Sunak's got millions of it.

I think it's all about priorities though, I've known a few people who have claimed to be completely skint, but then spend £££'s on booze and going out.. that's why they can't afford their food shop...
  • mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Food shopping and meal prep has always been a nightmare for me. All of my conditions combined mean I don’t actually cook food now because it causes me too much stress and I fail to plan proper meals. When I do shop for food it ends up being a tonne of one thing which I get fixated on and it’s just all over the place - but I have to get pre packaged stuff or I simply won’t eat. It’s horrible and I have to lose weight for an operation as well as having an eating disorder so food is very complicated for me. I rely on things like Deliveroo for little food shops which is rubbish because they’re inflated prices through a delivery service. I do a big shop delivery through Asda maybe once a week or every 2 weeks which just ends up being snacks to be honest. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @mousey I hope you are able to find a system that works better for you. Do you have support around you?

After reading your comment and many others on here, what are people's opinions of food boxes, like Hello Fresh or Gusto?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    I'm a fussy eater, so I personally wouldnt ever use these boxes, as I feel like I wouldnt be able to find recipes I'd truly like.

Plus, I'm not entirely sure on this but I have the impression they arent cheap.  If you shop yourself you can choose your own food and your own meals.  
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Autism_at_40 That's interesting as some advertise quite low prices, but understand that all the recipes are not for everyone. Me included! I always like the idea as it's almost a healthier convenience food and I can see the benefits for those who find it difficult cooking. 

What recipes would you want to see? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Well, I have seen initial sign up offers as being discounted but I'll have to check to see how much they are.  

I bet they arent as cheap as yellow label or discounted stuff via clubcard or whatever though.

I dont really know what recipes really.  I kind of make up my own food and I dont really use recipes. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Autism_at_40 I think it'll all depend on how many meals you want each day for how many days of the week. I do agree, I can see yellow stickers definitely being cheaper. I don't use recipes either but would like to just see a normal Spaghetti Bolognese on there one week!

I have a look now and then because if the offer is good and the meals are nice, I'd like to give them a go. More so because cooking takes up valuable reading time :D

@EffinMuppet What else is on the lotto win list? I do find most restaurants (mainly pubs) are ok with changes to the menu, the ones that aren't I take my dad to as he'll eat anything  :D I do wonder, as these boxes are becoming more popular, if we see more options to tailor them to our needs too. I've seen gluten free options and some that are kosher. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Autism_at_40
    Options
    Oh, that's my lottery win bucket list too!!
    Well, close to it anyway.  
    I would buy a farm with lots of land, I would grow all my own food, I'd also have a wood, lots of bird feeders and a meadow for the bees, I want to learn languages too and staying away from people too!
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope
    I've just had a quick look and I see that it says meals from £3.15 pp, which I suppose isn't too bad.

I have to admit though, even though I am on a limited income, I still prefer to eat Organic wherever possible.  It's better for me and my health, better for the environment, better for wildlife etc.  Once I learnt about Organic, I had to stick with it, part of being Autistic I suppose, once somethings in there, I can't deviate from it.

I know it is more expensive, but there is a point where I don't buy things that I feel are too expensive for what they are.  A little bit extra I don't mind.  I try and make things last for as long as possible.  So I don't think these boxes would be for me, for that reason too.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @EffinMuppet
    I always think it's so interesting what people would do with a lottery win. There are many of your dreams that are achievable without it too! Although, unfortunately, you may have to see some human beings now and then  :D especially with learning languages. 
    I have similar likes to you, when I read you wanted cats it made me wonder, have you ever been to a cat café? I think you'd love it. 

The community is always here :)<3

@Autism_at_40 That isn't too bad! would depend what the portion size was to that too, but I think they wouldn't be that stingy :D 
    I have seen more organic choices when in the supermarket, so it will hopefully be more accessible and then more affordable with that! After reading @66Mustang 's post about being Eco Friendly today, I can see those boxes possibly producing a lot of waste too in packaging. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.