If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA review form received

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kami84 said:
    Poppie, what would be the disadvantages of calling them? Do you think that if they tell me 'the review is happening, wait for the form, it will come in post' do you think that it will not come? I'm on my own without support and actual evidence of my mental health. Previous years I had psych hospital stays and plenty evidence. But now I don't and I am on contribution based since 2018. Im not sure if I even had any review since then  Social worker advised me to call now. In case review is happening I will know earlier and if I call them late it can lead to mess. Why Poppie you wouldn't recommend calling? 

The reason is because when you ring they will read from a screen and tell you a date but it's not guaranteed that you will receive the form at that time. I've been claiming ESA for 10 years and have never rang them to ask for a date. It happens, when it happens. There's nothing stopping you preparing for the form and you can even use the online form to do that. Save it but don't send it. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/capability-for-work-questionnaire

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The information I provide is updated when I get new information, not misleading. Regarding the claimant being sent a review, it has been 10 years since that person has been assessed, an extremely long time even by DWP standards and therefore they had to authorise a review in this rare case. Most long time claimants  were reviewed before covid and unfortunately this person was missed, probably due to the old out of date computers they still use. So no it wasn't misleading information. 
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • itwilbok
    itwilbok Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    Struggling today, feeling overwhelmed with trying to put into words how things are. Been look at the linked advice which is helpful. I have a lot of notes jotted down but just can't seem to get past this point. Maybe I should step a way for a day and see if that helps, not sleeping my mind is on repeat, so that's not really helping me focus.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @itwilbok That sounds like a good idea. I know many who do the forms over a couple of days because it can feel so stressful. Can I ask, have you spoken to your GP about not sleeping? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • itwilbok
    Options
    I haven't no, I have tried herbal and over the counter stuff, when my OCD get bad I just really lock myself away.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @itwilbok I would encourage you to speak to them. I know that getting a GP appointment can still be difficult, so it may also be worth talking to your pharmacist. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • itwilbok
    Options
    Thank you, will try
  • kami84
    kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    Options
    I want to update that I had called DWP against the advice on the forum and was told that my review is going to happen in August 2025
  • kami84
    Options
    But I'm not sure if that's true 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kami84 said:
    But I'm not sure if that's true 
    I can't see why you even bothered asking then.
  • kami84
    Options
    Not your business then 
  • Votadini
    Votadini Community member Posts: 39 Pioneering
    Options
    kami84 said:
    I want to update that I had called DWP against the advice on the forum and was told that my review is going to happen in August 2025

Thank you for this. It confirms that deferments are still being applied unless under exceptional circumstances which tallies with the information JBS2022 has provided. And while we know these deferred review dates are merely placeholders they still indicate that there's little sign of reassessments starting again at scale any time soon.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kami84 said:
    Not your business then 

I think that's quite rude. JBS2022 had already advised that they are still suspended. Yet you accused them of giving misleading information. You rang ESA who confirmed it's been extended (although the award is ongoing anyway) yet you still don't believe them...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kami84
    Options
    I think it's irresponsible to give people information unsure of the facts and telling them not to call DWP. It's basically information overhead by someone... I think that's irresponsible
  • kami84
    Options
    Sorry that you think it's rude... -IT'S NOT. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Where exactly was the irrespeonsible information you mention? With all due respect you rang them to ask and were given information that your review date has been extended by 2 years, yet you still don't believe them. Therefore, it didn't really help you to ring them.
  • kami84
    Options
    I'm so sorry if I had offended anyone. I really am sorry. I'm living in an extremely challenging situation. I didn't mean to offend. I'm sorry. Thank you for giving me some hope. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kami84 said:
    I'm so sorry if I had offended anyone. I really am sorry. I'm living in an extremely challenging situation. I didn't mean to offend. I'm sorry. Thank you for giving me some hope. 

You didn't offend me. I was just trying to advise you that ringing to ask for a referral date, really isn't going to help you. At least now you can try to relax a little more.
  • Asia23
    Asia23 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Just as an observation, I've noticed on other forums that there are a growing number of ESA Support Group claimants who are now receiving ESA50s and having WCAs.  The thing they all seem to have in common is that their claims are very old, and they all seem not to have been reviewed in years, as much as 10 or 11.  They also all seem very surprised to be reviewed at all because they have been left alone for so long, but they also don't appear to have any exemption which would have switched off their reassessments, since the rules changed in 2017.

So, it looks like the DWP (as well as randomly selecting a limited group of UC LCW/LCWRA claimants nationally to reassess regardless of the time since their last review) have decided to target their oldest ESA claims which have perhaps slipped the net over the years just as @JBS2022 has indicated.

I am also not seeing anything on other forums about more recently reviewed ESA claims being reassessed currently.  So, I am hopeful that, as @JBS2022 has previously said, it is very unlikely that I will be contacted for my scheduled review this summer.  It was reassuring to know from @kami84 that their scheduled review in August has been deferred to 2025, so thank you for having the courage to find that out because it also gave me hope that I will similarly be spared. 

I hope that you are coping with completing your form @itwilbok and you have all the help you need with it.  Good luck.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Asia23 said:
    Hello Everyone,

Just as an observation, I've noticed on other forums that there are a growing number of ESA Support Group claimants who are now receiving ESA50s and having WCAs.  The thing they all seem to have in common is that their claims are very old, and they all seem not to have been reviewed in years, as much as 10 or 11.  They also all seem very surprised to be reviewed at all because they have been left alone for so long, but they also don't appear to have any exemption which would have switched off their reassessments, since the rules changed in 2017.

They could have been on the list for a referral back in 2020 but reviews were suspended at about the same time as lockdown was announced. 10/11 years without a review is an extremely long time so they really are due that review now.

Some people (myself included) did receive the forms just before lockdown was announced and had a decision on that review.Some people didn't have a decision on that review so will now be called for that assessment at some point (without receiving another form)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.