Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

ESA review form received

Options

Comments

• Asia23
    Asia23 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Asia23 said:
    Hello Everyone,

Just as an observation, I've noticed on other forums that there are a growing number of ESA Support Group claimants who are now receiving ESA50s and having WCAs.  The thing they all seem to have in common is that their claims are very old, and they all seem not to have been reviewed in years, as much as 10 or 11.  They also all seem very surprised to be reviewed at all because they have been left alone for so long, but they also don't appear to have any exemption which would have switched off their reassessments, since the rules changed in 2017.

They could have been on the list for a referral back in 2020 but reviews were suspended at about the same time as lockdown was announced. 10/11 years without a review is an extremely long time so they really are due that review now.

Some people (myself included) did receive the forms just before lockdown was announced and had a decision on that review.Some people didn't have a decision on that review so will now be called for that assessment at some point (without receiving another form)

Perhaps, you're right Poppy. 

However, none of them received an ESA50 form to complete in the two months before reviews were suspended in 2020, as @JBS2022 mentioned.  I didn't think JBS2022 meant they would be reassessing anyone due for referral during that time who hadn't actually been sent a form.  Maybe, I misunderstood.

They are all claims not reviewed since 7 - 11 years ago.  All appear to be ESA Support Group Contribution based (some granted after tribunal) and it appears most of them have never been reviewed.  To my mind, bearing in mind that very few claimants post on these forums, the sheer number of them I've seen lately might be viewed as a 'representative sample' and suggests to me that it is a targeted (perhaps even randomised) reassessment of older ESA Support Group claims overdue for review.   
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Asia23 said:
    Asia23 said:
    Hello Everyone,

Just as an observation, I've noticed on other forums that there are a growing number of ESA Support Group claimants who are now receiving ESA50s and having WCAs.  The thing they all seem to have in common is that their claims are very old, and they all seem not to have been reviewed in years, as much as 10 or 11.  They also all seem very surprised to be reviewed at all because they have been left alone for so long, but they also don't appear to have any exemption which would have switched off their reassessments, since the rules changed in 2017.

They could have been on the list for a referral back in 2020 but reviews were suspended at about the same time as lockdown was announced. 10/11 years without a review is an extremely long time so they really are due that review now.

Some people (myself included) did receive the forms just before lockdown was announced and had a decision on that review.Some people didn't have a decision on that review so will now be called for that assessment at some point (without receiving another form)

However, none of them received an ESA50 form to complete in the two months before reviews were suspended in 2020, as @JBS2022 mentioned.  I didn't think JBS2022 meant they would be reassessing anyone due for referral during that time who hadn't actually been sent a form.  Maybe, I misunderstood.

They are all claims not reviewed since 7 - 11 years ago.  All appear to be ESA Support Group Contribution based (some granted after tribunal) and it appears most of them have never been reviewed.  To my mind, bearing in mind that very few claimants post on these forums, the sheer number of them I've seen lately might be viewed as a 'representative sample' and suggests to me that it is a targeted (perhaps even randomised) reassessment of older ESA Support Group claims overdue for review.   
    Yes, it's CBESA that are being reviewed, from as stated 7-10 years ago,(I might not have made that clear) I may be wrong but I'm not aware of anyone on IRESA being reviewed at all, except in circumstances mentioned in previous post. My next door neighbour has been in the  IRESA SG for 14 years and phoned up the DWP to be told her review has been extended until 2025 and is not in the exemption group. So it's not all ESA claimants that are being reviewed, just those on Contribution or New Style. Which is completely consistant with what I been told, that they are not focusing on IR because they being moved to UC. That may change in the future but at the moment they not bothering.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Asia23
    edited June 2023
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    Asia23 said:
    Asia23 said:
    Hello Everyone,

Yes, it's CBESA that are being reviewed, from as stated 7-10 years ago,(I might not have made that clear) I may be wrong but I'm not aware of anyone on IRESA being reviewed at all, except in circumstances mentioned in previous post. My next door neighbour has been in the  IRESA SG for 14 years and phoned up the DWP to be told her review has been extended until 2025 and is not in the exemption group. So it's not all ESA claimants that are being reviewed, just those on Contribution or New Style. Which is completely consistant with what I been told, that they are not focusing on IR because they being moved to UC. That may change in the future but at the moment they not bothering.
    Thank you for clarifying @JBS2022... but just looked again at one of the forums and there's someone on IRESA, put in the support group in 2013 after tribunal who has just received an ESA50 and has never been reviewed before.  So, I do think they are specifically targeting claims that have not been reviewed for years.  :/
  • Grissom123
    Grissom123 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Options
    This is confusing me a little. Does this mean that the only income related esa claimants being reviewed are those who have gone 10+ years without getting reviewed, and for the rest they're still suspended because mainly UC claimants are being focused on?
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All the reviews seem to be happening to people not seen in an extremely long period of time, so if that doesn't apply to you, nothing to worry about. I find 7-10+ years a long time to go without being seen (in my opinion they should be reviewed), and anyone that has gone that long is extremely lucky and is a small minority of ESA claimants. Reviews are suspended for the vast majority of people, I've provided all the information I've been given. I have decided to exit myself from discussing reviews as there is nothing further I can add at this time. 

Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Asia23
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    All the reviews seem to be happening to people not seen in an extremely long period of time, so if that doesn't apply to you, nothing to worry about. I find 7-10+ years a long time to go without being seen (in my opinion they should be reviewed), and anyone that has gone that long is extremely lucky and is a small minority of ESA claimants. Reviews are suspended for the vast majority of people, I've provided all the information I've been given. I have decided to exit myself from discussing reviews as there is nothing further I can add at this time. 

Thank you @JBS2022.  Your updates have helped me a lot at this time, so I do appreciate you having shared all the information that you've been made aware of.  
  • smelly3
    smelly3 Community member Posts: 44 Listener
    edited June 2023
    Options
    They are not proper reviews anyway, my mum ad one recently and hadn't been seen in 12 years, she on esa. Got a form, sent it back, they phoned her doctor about her meds and she was kept in the support group, no assessment centre or phone, same for pal of mine and his forms were really bad, also never had an assessment. So they are not proper assessments by Capita or Atos. Quite a few peeps iknow not had a proper review also 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,414 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    smelly3 said:
    They are not proper reviews anyway, my mum ad one recently and hadn't been seen in 12 years, she on esa. Got a form, sent it back, they phoned her doctor about her meds and she was kept in the support group, no assessment centre or phone, same for pal of mine and his forms were really bad, also never had an assessment. So they are not proper assessments by Capita or Atos. Quite a few peeps iknow not had a proper review also 

If they received the work capability assessment form then it would have been a proper assessment but they would have had a paper based assessment. This doesn't mean it wasn't a proper assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 464 Pioneering
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    Reviews for ESA are still suspended for those not due a review during COVID, so you must have been due a review during that time and unfortunately never received the form, the fact you've been waiting 10 years suggests that may well be the case(10 years in an extremely long time for a review 99% of people have one between 6 m and 8 years and that's probably why you are having one now). My dad has confirmed they are the only reviews taking place. The esa review page on Facebook is practically dead because barely anyone is having them. People who have only been waiting a few years have nothing to worry about.
    I did read your later posts on it looking like cb/new style esa renewals only for the time being

however in regard to your earlier post.

the pandemic (and alll the various rules) happened for the uk from the start of 2020 till the 2nd half of 2022 (please correct if wrong) although didn’t the UN only a few months declare the pandemic to be finally over

I know that esa awards are ongoing and have no end date but the award letter usually has on it a recommended reassessment date and going on personal experience a review date of 2 or 3 yrs later seems most common

so by that logic even those people who got their last esa award in 2019 a few months before the pandemic started had a good chance that their recommended review date would fall on the latter months of COVID so a lot of people who had their last reassessment pre 2020 and a recommended date of 4 years or less could get the esa50 forms posted at any point now if you get my logic

and yes I’ve over analysed/thought the whole thing……..blame my ocd!!!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Danny123 said:
    @JBS2022 just to clarify....is it the CBesa claiments that have not been reviewed for 7/10 years that there concentrating on , or is it all CBesa claiments ? It's just I'm on a mix of CBesa and UC and my last review was Nov 2019 and that was when I was on just esa supposed to have another nov 2021 so I'm 3 and a half years since last and year and a half overdue 

When claiming both ESA and UC the review is usually done through UC. They are back on for some people claiming this but not everyone at the moment. As you weren't contacted by 15th July then it's unlikely you will be contacted now. The reviews will be back on for everyone claiming UC by the end of the year.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • itwilbok
    itwilbok Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    Well my update for this so far is I have been asked to go for a assessment, I have done this in the past is this something that will always just keep being repeated as when I fill the forms in it must not meet the points needed I think last time I had 18. This is such a stressful process for a illness that as not got better in 30+ yes but worse
  • poppy123456
    Options
    itwilbok said:
    Well my update for this so far is I have been asked to go for a assessment, I have done this in the past is this something that will always just keep being repeated as when I fill the forms in it must not meet the points needed I think last time I had 18. This is such a stressful process for a illness that as not got better in 30+ yes but worse
    Most people have assessments even for reviews. Paper based assessments are possible but rare. For Support Group it’s not about scoring points. You just need to satisfy at least one of the descriptors. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/support-group-descriptors
    Points are for WRAG. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Danny123 said:
    Descriptors are also for UC lcwra aswell yes ? You need 1 descriptor to satisfy both surport group and lcwra ? 
    Yes, both are identical. The decision will apply to both claims. 
  • itwilbok
    Options
    Thank you, poppy123456, I didn't know that.

So you fill a long winded form in that's not really going to get the decision made, wait for weeks hoping it will, then have to go for an assessment for a condition that's not changed since the last time you did all this and by doing this it sets you back and makes things worse for you. Then I suppose you wait again, just feels like it's always stacked against you.  Sorry just not in a great mood.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Itwilbok paper based assessments are possible but rare. Unfortunately it’s the same process for everyone. 
  • itwilbok
    Options
    I know, I understand that it's not just me and I also know I'm lucky I have some support when others don't. I just wished after all these years there would have been a better solution to the problem.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hear you @itwilbok. Even if others are in a "less fortunate position", your thoughts, feelings and experiences are valid too. Hopefully, one day, there will be a better solution to the problem. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • chucky1
    chucky1 Community member Posts: 68 Connected
    Options
    How did you get on itwilbok
  • itwilbok
    Options
    chucky1 said:
    How did you get on itwilbok
    I had my interview, it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be, the person who did it was very kind. Just have to wait now.
  • chucky1
    chucky1 Community member Posts: 68 Connected
    Options
    Was it a phone interview 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.