Given the chance, which pet would you own? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Given the chance, which pet would you own?

Options

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Emile I think it's why I would love a corgi. They are affectionate, good with older children (which I have in the family) and good with other dogs. So no scraps at the park :D  I love my Gwen but for a collie, she isn't the brightest bless her. And at 13 she is getting on. So it's more a 'petship' of I feed her, brush her and fuss her and then she'll sleep the rest of the day away! <3 

From your answer and responding to everyone else, I'd say you like animals! Did you ever work with them? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • CATP
    CATP Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Cats for me as they are independent. I have a neighbourhood cat who lives a few doors down that visits. He even jumps in the window if it's open,  makes himself at home.
    I grew up with dogs I wouldn't be able to walk them every day and pick up their mess. Cats Bury their mess out side. Take themselves off for a  walk if they are out door Cats.

i cant remember whose told me this,i think it was one of my favurite support staff- aparently the reason why cats bury there mess isnt for hygeine reasons.
    it stems from far back in the cat family,when cats were constantly having to be on guard from predators so they had to have a good dig and cover otherwise they woud be preyed upon.
    it devastaed me when i heard that a bit, as i thought my boy mr shadow was being the clean gentleman that he is.

i woud love to have chickens again,i used to breed chickens when i lived in residential care and they were real therapy animals for me,id wake up every morning and found a line line of chicks on top of me and my bed,theyd poo everywhere so i had to follow them around with a mop,we needed one of them robotic hoovers (in a mop form instead).

i also have always wanted a thoroughbred x irish draught mare,on full livery and stabled in the winter.
    from age 10 i was riding horses in the RDA,they used to put me on the wild at heart ponies like barely broken in thoroughbreds x irish draughts that no one else dared to ride, there was one ex race horse they had called heather who i used to take out hacking with two of the staff and as soon as she saw grass she woud gallop which was such a cool feeling but then someone broke my heart when they came into the RDA school one day and bought heather for hunting and dresage.

i woud also dearly love to have a shetland pony on full livery -which is an option for disabled people with a lot of savings, i cant remember the price it costs for full livery but you can pay for a stable and lighter feed during the winter months.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Poppy123456 Awww your cat sounds like my dog, won't let you have another animal in the house! Have you had Siamese cats all your life? 

That's because he would be too jealous. No, he's my first one. He's just so adorable and almost human, part dog haha. I'm not sure if he knows what he is really. He doesn't like chicken, ham or any other meat for that matter. I could leave anything like this out, whether it's raw or cooked and he wouldn't go anywhere near it. He loves tuna and prawns though and i only have to open a tin of tuna and he's waiting by the kitchen door for his share :D

Bed time, he will come downstairs, jump onto the sofa, stretch accross to the computer and put his nose in my face and tell me it's time for bed. He will not get on the bed until i'm in there either. He's the perfect gentlemen :D

Sometimes will sit by the front door look out with his nose in the air smelling the fresh air. Not really bothered about stepping outside. He does go into the garden sometimes to eat the grass and with only a 4 foot fence it's very easy for him to jump up and run but he never does. I can't imagine him not being here. Animals are definitely a big part of the family.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @CATP Aww chickens! :) I keep forgetting people keep them as pets. I just always assume farm = chickens 😂 

You really love horses! <3 I wish I'd had more experience with them as a kid. I had the opportunity but was more interested in the farm cats, haha. I had heard that with Shetland ponies it's best to keep two as they are very sociable? 

Poppy123456 Haha! Whereas my dog would steal it and hide! 😂 Does he hear the click on the tuna tin from anywhere in the house? 🤣 He sounds so adorable 🥰 Animals always know don't they? When it's time for bed, time to eat, or something else in your daily routine.

We always had cats growing up and all my family did as well. My grandad worked down the pits and used to come home with stray cats in his coat pockets! It's amazing how animals are part of the family and the love for them something that can be passed down the family. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,631 Pioneering
    Options
    I've done cats for the last 32 years - the last two lived until they were over 20....
    I really fancy a mongoose - but the wife wants a dog
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Aww <3 Why a mongoose? and what kind of dog does the wife want? 
    Hannah - She / Her

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,800 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope yeah I used to go horse riding and had lessons when I was young
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @durhamjaide2001 That must have been so cool! :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,800 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It was bad it got very boring because I wasn't allowed to jump I won a trophy as well,
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Aaah, at least you won a trophy! :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I'd love a dog but I'm scared of them and also couldn't handle the mess :D I also couldn't reliably take it out which wouldn't be fair on it. 

I've also always wanted a pet toirtoise, not sure why as can't exactly cuddle them but they are just so nice to watch. 
    I don't think I'd ever actually get a pet though as I wouldn't be able to say for certain I could take care of it but I'd like it for the company. I was desperate for a pet snake for many years but I couldn't feed it lol
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Biblioklept You'd love my dog, she doesn't walk :D If you tell her "let's go walkies" she hides! haha. 

I wouldn't be able to feed a snake either! To be fair, I'm not fond of animals with scales. Although... a tortoise sounds like it would be a great pet! 
    Hannah - She / Her

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
     of @welshblue and his son's dog! 

A horse is the only pet I've wanted.  A dog is the pet we've ended up with.  Without choice ... 
    Apart from 2 hours a day when he's a devil (polite wording), what a great dog Ruudy is.  Bright, loving but with a stubborn streak typical of a teenager at 5 months old.

Okay my front garden resembles The Somme but wouldn't let him go now, he is at his happiest when I nuzzle his neck and tickle his belly, and he's done my mental health the world of good

Weirdly the only food he cries for is toast.  Like my son ... not all there  :p
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept You'd love my dog, she doesn't walk :D If you tell her "let's go walkies" she hides! haha. 

I wouldn't be able to feed a snake either! To be fair, I'm not fond of animals with scales. Although... a tortoise sounds like it would be a great pet! 
    Haha that's my kind of dog then!!! Has she never liked walks or has it changed with age? 
    My sister had a pet she used to feed insects to and I once knocked the pot of them on the floor and the lid came off... suffice to say I was not popular after that! :D 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Poppy123456 Haha! Whereas my dog would steal it and hide! 😂 Does he hear the click on the tuna tin from anywhere in the house? 🤣 He sounds so adorable 🥰 Animals always know don't they? When it's time for bed, time to eat, or something else in your daily routine.

Sorry Hannah, i only just noticed your reply! Haha that's usually what dogs do but most cats usually as well. Yes, he knows it's a tuna tin, even if he's upstairs. 

Quite a long time ago i was shelling some prawns and i shouted up the stairs to ask if anyone wanted any "prawnies" that's what we call them to him :D he ran down the stairs so fast i thought he was going to trip haha.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Emille
    Emille Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    I had some new 'pets' today for about an hour and a half ... was walking the dog this a.m. and he found 5 baby squirrels on the ground - they were maybe a week old - eyes and ears still closed and pink, no fur and just less than 2" long They were making tiny mewling sounds- I expect the nest was attacked by crows or magpies and they had all fallen down. 

So gathered them up in the doggie coat to keep them warm, got them home and managed to contact the local Wildlife Hospital who where absolute gems; they sent someone out to collect them. They will have incubators and all the right formula to help raise them - I hope they will be able to return to the wild eventually.

I do hope they make it - I will ring the hosp on Monday to find out how they're doing....feel bad for poor squirrel Mama though - I guess she went off to forage and must have come back to see her nest ruined and all her babies gone.

Wish them luck .... <3
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @welshblue Haha! Oh no! Rudy is still causing havoc in the garden! It sounds like Rudy has ended up as your dog! 🤣

@Biblioklept It changed when she was around 2? We think she just got spooked when out walking by someone or something. When we get her in the car and take her somewhere remote she loves it. It's just getting her out 😂 We tend to let her run out the back on the entry way a lot. 

Hahahaha! Oh no! yep, I wouldn't let you near their feed again!

Poppy123456 Don't worry! Haha 😂 oh my gosh! He's like Yes! Me! 🤣

@Emille Awwww! I am so glad you found them and they are safe. I hope they made it too! Please keep us updated <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Emille
    Emille Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    Hi all, I called the Wildlife Hosp today - I was told the baby Sqigglies were taken to the ICU Nursery where the incubators are.  The lady said because there was still a computer intake record that meant they were still with us. I'm not likely to hear anymore but I like to think they are safe and warm with tummies full of milk and someday grow up to have happy lives. <3
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    aww that's great news @Emille Hopefully they continue to thrive :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Strawberry1
    Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A parrot or a Rottweiler. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.