ADP Appeal - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADP Appeal

Options
2»

Comments

• MondeoMan
    MondeoMan Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Hi,

I recently was seen by a tribunal and it was the most distressing and frustrating 90 minutes of my life, being neurodiverse I struggled to formulate my answers at times and was getting angry, I had to leave once because of how angry I was getting.

I felt as if I was being judged as being untruthful, trying to catch me out or exaggerating, the questions were very invasive and designed to make me guilty for daring to try and enjoy my life, especially when asked what was the furthest I travelled in the last 18 months and how did I get there and why was I there?

I said I flew, "How did you get to the airport?" I got a lift from my relative, "how did you get up the stairs?" I used the escalators. "how did you reach your plane?". I walked along the gangway stopping every so often because there are chairs there, "Who picked you up at the airport?" My friend did "What did you do there?", I was visiting friends and stayed with them at their house...I even offered to to video chat them so they could verify my "STORY" and the panel declined....I am still confused as to why those questions were needed to be asked.

I am profoundly deaf and I am verbal dsylexic, have dyspraxia, autistic and AHAD and traits of ASPD, I also suffer  COPD and partial s1 lumbarization and was asked how often is it painful, it's a life long condition and I felt like saying how many breaths do you take in a minute, go out, walk fast in the corridor and count again, it's not the same amount is it?

Honestly, I regretted ever applying for ADP if I knew what stress and pressure I would have been under, I have worked ALL my life and never applied for anything like this before, I was only told about it because someone suggested that I might qualify for it.

I did and got it but then wanted clarification on something and wasn't told at the time it was an appeal but a re-determination which I thought meant looking at the situation I am raising, if I was told it was an appeal, I wouldn't have done it.

The "redetermination" took away my ADP and I had to apply for an appeal to the tribunal because I lost points because SSS claimed there was no record of my back complaints.

The fact I had to ask for my medical history to find the proof I needed of my back condition when the "redetermination" said there was no record off added to my source of frustrations, it took me 3 days to go through EVERYTHING and i am glad I found that evidence needed.

I am currently awaiting the outcome of my appeal but I do know that my points have been returned to me and potentially more points have been awarded but its the tribunal that will decide if I get ADP or not.

I think people will need to prepare for how stressful and challenging a tribunal will be, especially if you are neurodiverse, autistic and having to cope with an extremely pressurised situation.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    edited March 22
    Options
    I'm sorry it was such a difficult experience for you @MondeoMan. I hope you've been able to put it aside and relax the last couple of days. Have you heard the outcome of the tribunal yet? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MondeoMan
    MondeoMan Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    I haven't heard yet, it's been a week now, now I am stressing as too why it's taking so long to come to a decision, I know they said I'd hear within 14 days but it's just adding the stress of the whole thing.

They have everything in front of them and they've heard me speak, answering their questions.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,446 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry you're still waiting @MondeoMan, it sounds so stressful and not nice to be kept waiting after all you've been through. I'll keep everything crossed for you that you'll hear back soon.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • McKeownOwn
    McKeownOwn Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    So sorry to hear you had a extremely stressful tribunal hearing @MondeoMan It is a horrible experience. I've heard of and spoke to a few others that have had similar experiences as ours. I hope you have heard back now and it has all gone in your favour, that at least may make the stress feel a little worthwhile!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.