Welfare benefits news, possible changes & constructive ‘discussion - an ongoing thread - Page 8 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Welfare benefits news, possible changes & constructive ‘discussion - an ongoing thread

Options

Comments

• apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    Options

And what on earth is a “active psychotic illness”?

I presume it’s relating to psychosis and not actually being psychotic? (cause that would be seriously messed up if the latter)

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/understanding-psychosis#:~:text=What%20is%20psychosis%3F,real%20and%20what%20is%20not.

I hope they publish the results of the consultation because I have zero clue how the gov has come to certain conclusions if the times article turns out to be an accurate early preview (we will know Wednesday)
  • Remina
    Remina Community member Posts: 148 Pioneering
    Options
    It's so scary how hard they are working to try and invalidate people's struggles with mental illness, they are trying to make mental illness seem like it's just something you can brush aside and carry on with.. I feel like they're essentially just saying to me (and others in my position) ''Oh shut up, you're fine, pull yourself together and get a job'' which is not helpful, especially when the anxiety/depression/agoraphobia/difficulty being around others is all rooted in past traumatic events. They are deeply underestimating how much the symptoms of mental illness can effect a person on a daily basis if they genuinely believe throwing them into work is a safe thing to do! I am terrified of what is going to happen on Wednesday, almost feels like I'm sat waiting for my execution..
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    apple85 said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/20/labour-would-treat-health-and-work-as-two-sides-of-same-coin-says-liz-kendall

Serious question - what was starmer thinking when he appointed Kendall as shadow & pension minister? 

Did he seriously think her appointment would bring labour votes at the next general election?

(Quick warning ⚠️- I’ve used the below to illustrate/indroduce a point about where voters may vote - this thread isn’t about issues happening overseas………there is probably a much better thread on the scope to debate that subject……..this thread isn’t it)

on a serious note starmers stance on events happening abroad (im not going to comment on whether his stance is right or wrong) and a certain parliamentary vote from last week had the negative effect for labour of majorly repelling the ‘woke’ voting group (and I’m really sorry for the use of the term ‘woke’………….I’m not sure there’s a term that I could use for that social group that wouldn’t be patronising?…………the idealistic social voting group?) which is a smaller but still significantly sized voting group (seriously, there’s a social media push for those voters to switch their vote to the Green Party)

my point is that may be a significant number of voters perhaps permanently lost for the next election that labour probably had pencilled in as labour leaning.

It would be smart for labour to step up their effects to attract other major & minor social voting group - and the sick/disabled/unpaid carer social voting group has a huge amount of potential voters that aren’t politically attached to any party right now and aren’t being courted by the Tory party

you’d think that would be an attractive prospect for labour (and Lib Dem’s and other smaller parties too) but no one seems interested in our vote and if anything are actively trying to discourage us to sign up to &/or use our vote (by making large numbers the community think their vote is pointless) or to spoil our vote!

the stupidity and shortsightedness of this attitude from politicians and party headquarters is mind boggling…………….and that the disabled community conforms to this narrative and don’t use their vote in sizeable numbers (like the pensioner social group) is a total waste on our part.

There are millions of disabled, sick or are in unpaid family/friend unpaid ‘carer’ roles who have the right to (sign up and) vote! 
    If properly utilised, our social voting group would have the numbers to swing some constituency seat to an mp that best suits our community!
    The fact that many of the disability community haven’t done this maths is kind of infuriating (sizeable voting groups heavily influence political policy)

the truth is that by the time the election comes current events and recent votes will be long gone in the memory of voters, latest opinion polls still have Labour around 20% ahead of the tories.
    As Bill Clinton once said when asked what elections are about "its the economy stupid"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JonnycJonny
    JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 127 Courageous
    Options
    Laura Trott - bright as a button, fit as a fiddle - telling the afflicted to get on yer bike or work from home on Sky this morning.

I am afraid disabilities / chronic illnesses do not simply boil down to the words 'impaired mobility' or 'mental health issue' - a whole raft of other accompanying symptoms - such as severe pain or extreme anxiety - may hold people back from being able to engage fully with work. Moreover, are you telling me that a former blue collar car mechanic with a spinal condition can be, or would be willing to be, retrained as an online tutor or self help coach ?  What on earth is going ?

Thought a PIP award would passport the severely incapacitated on to the proposed new disability element of UC ? Has that idea gone too ?

We're all doomed it would seem !

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,910 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why do you keep posting these articles? They are not saying anything different to what’s already been posted. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ralph
    Ralph Community member Posts: 98 Pioneering
    Options
    Laura Trott - bright as a button, fit as a fiddle - telling the afflicted to get on yer bike or work from home on Sky this morning.

I am afraid disabilities / chronic illnesses do not simply boil down to the words 'impaired mobility' or 'mental health issue' - a whole raft of other accompanying symptoms - such as severe pain or extreme anxiety - may hold people back from being able to engage fully with work. Moreover, are you telling me that a former blue collar car mechanic with a spinal condition can be, or would be willing to be, retrained as an online tutor or self help coach ?  What on earth is going ?

Thought a PIP award would passport the severely incapacitated on to the proposed new disability element of UC ? Has that idea gone too ?

We're all doomed it would seem !

It’s the disabled turn this week. They took a beating on asylum seekers so they have to find another minority to blame for their disastrous government. It’s the blame game. Point at someone else. It’s their fault. 
    Soon they’ll return to asylum seekers or homeless or some other vulnerable group. 
    It’s a government out of ideas and in survival mode. 
    We need people to stand up for us and I haven’t heard much from Labour or the other parties. Disabled people need to contact their Labour mp if they have one and voice their concerns. 
  • Remina
    Remina Community member Posts: 148 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks @Becky93 seeing comments like this help me be able to breathe slowly and stay calmer.. It's all been so upsetting and scary, positive comments like yours give me a little hope that things will work out in the end.. :smile:
  • Becky93
    Becky93 Community member Posts: 57 Pioneering
    Options
    One of the elements that gets ignored here is that for this to even work in practice employers are going to have to be incentivised to take on workers they otherwise wouldn't touch. Like what they present here is quite devious as they keep saying on the one hand they are going to help people find work who want to work without risk of losing their benefits, but it's quite clear in practice they are going to take LCWRA away from these people if they don't, so that statement's not true at all.

And who is going to employ these people. It's one thing saying more people work from home (which also contradicts their otherwise anti people working from home policies), but how many jobs will let people exclusively work from home with no need to ever go into a workplace. How many employers want to touch what in effect would be high risk staff who are likely to have a higher than average number of sick days etc. Without incentivising this, the whole thing just seems a con to me to rebrand people as fit for work, who in reality are going to find it very hard to find work, and once they've done that you will start getting pressured to take any job, even those that aren't remotely suitable. You have minimal incentive to work with the system, when it's so obviously going to be used against you in this way.
  • apple85
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I’ve had a little time to process all of these ‘previews’ we’ve gotten the past 48hrs. Obviously things will be clearer after tomorrow and in the coming weeks but this is where my head is 12hrs before the autumn statement (opinions based on non confirmed previews - these are pencilled in thoughts, not inked in):

> obviously when benefit changes are announced everyone’s first thought is how it may affect themselves & their family and how to keep your own head above water - self preservation is a normal reaction and theirs nothing wrong with feeling like that. However my heart goes out to the first of us that are affected by these changes (if they do end up going forward) and those of us that aren’t affected straight away should try and actively help those who are unfortunate enough to be the Guinea pigs for those in gov

> if the times article is confirmed to be accurate tomorrow than I am thankful to everyone who filled in the wca consultation - it may seem like a loss but only 1 out of the 4 proposed descriptors sounds like it’s being altered/removed and the ‘substantial risk’ element (which sunak/hunt/stride were massively pushing to bin altogether) has only been tightened………it’s still a bad outcome but nowhere near as bad as it could of been if confirmed tomorrow. Considering that only 1300 people responded to the consultation I’m shocked we may of gotten concessions at all - and brings me back to what I keep saying in that can you imagine the disabled community could successfully push back or fight back on if tens of thousands of us stopped sitting on our hands/accepted life’s draw and started being proactive?!

> the article does mention a 2025 start date for the policy changes on wca reforms/the push to get the disabled working and the policy only affecting new claimants to start of with. This suggests that at at let those of us on legacy benefits may have some time but also none of this particular policy change will come into play pre general election

> the government plan to get the disabled working is so badly thought out that a group of 7 year olds would be able to suggest something more workable (I’m wonder if they said anything to try to inspire their supporters that they are actively doing something but actually have zero plan of how to make it workable & and is just being presented so that if labour gain power and drop this policy the Tories can use it as a future attack line)
    Side note: James o Brian earned his pay check on todays LBC show, well worth a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKs47DXfbc

> I’m still worried that hunt will reveal a new nasty surprise tomorrow that hasn’t been leaked up till now (the tories bring out this paranoia in me)

> This quote from the times articles still has me confused & concerned but I don’t know if I’m interpreting it right: “ The changes in the rules for claiming benefits will apply to all new claimants from 2025. As part of a “carrot and stick” approach, existing claimants will be given a guarantee that they will not have their right to benefits assessed if they look for work.”

> honestly I’m starting to get more and more concerned about labours position on all this and I think the disabled community should prioritise trying to get through to as many existing labour mps as possible that there party is currently going down the wrong path on this: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-must-serious-mental-health-31486774

> lastly going on new ministers Laura trots car crash interviews today is there a single Tory minister that has any common sense in what they chose to say - ‘duty’ indeed, we aren’t soldiers signing up to defend our country fgs!

obviously the above thoughts are based on newspaper previews and it’s possible some of the above may not be accurate after the autumn statement tomorrow
  • apple85
    edited November 2023
    Options
    So later today I’m going to keep my eye on various political live texts

However I’m not going to post anything direct from the chancellors speech live - Jeremy Hunt will have tailored his speech to appeal to the seating mps and Tory faithful and they want hunt to serve them red meat so it’s likely Hunt will announce things in a way that may panic some on this forum

I’m going to wait till the official autumn statement document in full detail has been published just after the speech and any section that may have relevance to us on the scope forum I’ll post a (highlighted) screenshot onto that thread as I think that’s going to be the most accurate source here - that will probably take me a couple of hours as the document may be 100+ pages long.

I’m also going to keep an ear out for opposition mp statements of interest I know it will be some’s instinct on this forum to post multiples of the same articles and quotes on this thread tomorrow (Tonawanda17, I’m looking at you - I know it’s worrying but newspapers sensationalise things and spin things to sell papers and therefore may not be writing 100% accurate things - hence screenshots of the actual gov doc)

I hope this is the most helpful way to keep the scope forum members up to date in a calm manner over posting endless live text type updates Open to any further suggestions
  • apple85
    Options
    Morning all

got my eyes on the political live text - it may be over an hour till I have access to the official pdf doc (hunts says he’s got 110 new measures to get through)
  • apple85
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Okay this one I will post early - benefits will be rising by the 6.7% in April 2024 and housing allowance is no longer frozen (lha rates will be raised to the 30th percentile of local market rates)

state pension is going up 8.5% (the triple lock seems to be remaining for the time being)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,910 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There’s a new thread here as a sticky created by the scope team this morning. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/112187/the-autumn-statement-2023#latest
    maybe better to keep everything in one place? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,575 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, I was just coming in to share that posts link.  Much better if we can try and keep things in one place. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • apple85
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I’m not really commenting on the chancellors live speech as mentioned last night but thought I should post that one early for anyone reading this thread

im waiting for the official gov doc to be published before properly updating this thread
  • apple85
    Options

Okay the official document are published - please bear with me whilst I read through - I’ll post highlight screenshots as I go

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/autumn-statement-2023
  • apple85
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.