Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

LCW Assessment

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,362 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You could be sanctioned if you don't attend.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Groovychick
    Groovychick Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    But if I am too unwell to attend the appt. on that day and left a message on the journal stating this.
    will I still be sanctioned?
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Hi,  Wanted to ask if universal credit can force me to attend WCA meetings?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    WCA meetings? Or do you mean work focused interviews? If so then you as I advised earlier in the thread you can ask for a telephone appointment as a reasonable adjustment. 

Have you had another work capability assessment yet?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Sent the UC50 form before Xmas still waiting for the assessment. 
  • Groovychick
    Options
    I had my telephone assessment last week and still waiting for the outcome, how long will I have to wait for a decision from DWP and will I have to attend the appointment at the Job centre at the beginning of April?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It can be a wait for the outcome @groovychick but hopefully within in the next 8-12 weeks. If you have an appointment and you feel unable to attend, you can pop a note on your journal and see if they can make it a telephone appointment. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Hannah.  Thought I don’t have to attend job centre appointments anymore? 
    My work coach told me I have to attend in person as I have requested phone appointments before, not happy about this.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Until you are awarded, they can ask you to attend appointments still as it is the work coach's discretion. You can ask again now you are awaiting your assessment outcome to see if they would change their mind? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Hi, would like your help again please.  Can I check on progress with DWP to see if I have been awarded LCWRA? 
    Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi, would like your help again please.  Can I check on progress with DWP to see if I have been awarded LCWRA? 
    Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
    Have you had an assessment yet? The majority of people have them so you should expect one. Paper based assessments are rare but possible. 

You can certainly put a message onto your journal to ask if a decisions been made yet. 
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Hi Poppy, thanks for helping me.  Had telephone assessment on 12 March and was so distressed over the phone and with panic, didn’t hear what was said at the end of conversation assume I qualify for LCWRA not sure?
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,836 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Groovychick, they won't tell you if you qualify at the end of an assessment, they will write to you and leave a note on your journal once they've made a decision.  It can take a fair few weeks though. 
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The decision letter will be uploaded onto your journal once it's made. It take take up to 12 weeks but a lot of people have a decision in less time than that when claiming UC. 
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Too eager to
    know and cannot relax until I find out.
    thank you for your help 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You are not alone in thinking this, the majority of people feel the same way. Hopefully it won't be too long, some have the decision quite quickly. 
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    I had my decision in ten days so it can be quite quick. 

Although they did basically tell us I had it at the end of the assessment because my friend and supporter wanted to give them more information and the assessor wanted to get off the phone and so said telling her more about my autism would be a waste of time as I already scored maximum for mobility and she was doing me a favour because I was so stressed.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I had my decision in ten days so it can be quite quick. 

Although they did basically tell us I had it at the end of the assessment because my friend and supporter wanted to give them more information and the assessor wanted to get off the phone and so said telling her more about my autism would be a waste of time as I already scored maximum for mobility and she was doing me a favour because I was so stressed.
    I'm glad to hear that the correct decision was made for your work capability assessment. Although the assessor should not have said anything to you because it's not their place to do that.

I've heard it happen so many times where the assessor has told the claimant "there's nothing to worry about and I'll make sure everything is ok" for them to go onto be found fit for work. 

What they told you doesn't really make sense anyway because for LCWRA there's no points scored, you just need to satisfy at least one of the descriptors.

If you're not claiming for physical conditions I wouldn't have expected you to be found to have LCWRA through the mobilising descriptor, which is mobility and applies to physical conditions, rather than mental health.https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
  • Groovychick
    Options
    Good Afternoon, @poppy123456, Hannah_Alumni and Albus_Scope
    I have been awarded LCWRA and my job centre appointment has been cancelled for April.
    A BIG thank you to you all for the help you have given me and I can take a deep breath and relax now.
    It doesn't say how long I have been awarded for on the letter?
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,836 Scope online community team
    Options
    Ahhh, that's great news @Groovychick I'm so happy for you! That must be a great weight off your mind? 

LCWRA awards can be lifelong, depending on the condition, but they usually have a recommended review period of around three years.  You'd need to ask the DWP as to how long the award is for though. 
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.