Autistic child won't leave the house — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic child won't leave the house

Options
bearfamily
bearfamily Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all,

I'm hoping some other parents of children with autism/ADHD can empathise/support here.

My son is almost 10 years old and mostly refuses to leave the house. He hates any outdoor activities, I have tried everything from extravagant days out to quiet simple outings. I have tried clubs, classes, activities, and anything he shows an interest in I try to make happen but mostly it happens once and then we can't get him to go again.

We tried martial arts classes which resulted in a huge meltdown on the second session and trying to run away. We tried a walk in the forest, which resulted in another time of running away and locking himself in the car demanding to go home. We went to a trampoline park but he hid in the corner and demanded to go home.

We have managed a couple of successful outings with his cousins and his best friend but both of those are only available around once per month for get-togethers due to their own schedules. When these have happened, he will often say he needs time to "recover" after that outing which results in us not being able to get him to leave the house for some time afterwards.

He feels safe and comfortable at home and finds no enjoyment in the outside world.

My son's family members do not "believe" his diagnoses despite three doctors confirming them so, I am mostly without support. They believe he and I are just lazy and do not understand what we face each day.

I've seen a few posts on here of other parents struggling to get their autistic children out of the house and I wondered how common is this and did you ever find anything that worked?
Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi there @bearfamily and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your son and the great outdoors. It can be very tricky to really pinpoint where the issue is and it's hard to get people to understand when it's not something visible.  I'm autistic myself and know the struggles well. 

Could it possibly be a sensory issue and things outside are too overwhelming for him? 

There's lots of reading to be had on this part of the Scope site, maybe that could help a bit? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • bearfamily
    bearfamily Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Albus_Scope!

Thank you for your reply.

I think it is a sensory issue, he is very easily overwhelmed. For example, a bee flew near him on one of our walks, he didn't even see it but the sound sent him into a tailspin.

In your experience, is trouble with going out a common trait amongst autistic children?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @bearfamily

From what I have seen from other community members, it is a common trait. The National Autistic Society have an information page on Meltdowns that you may find useful to read. 

We also have members who have created their own threads with similar concerns over their children not leaving the house. 
    I thought maybe they could help or even give you more members to talk to <3 I hope the community can be a place of support and friendship for you!
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi @bearfamily. Thank you for reaching out to us, you have done so well in identifying these triggers already. If it is sound-related, would headphones or earplugs/earmuffs work well? Fellow autistic here and I can relate that lots of sounds (especially at once) can be overwhelming. I find headphones really helpful and I'm wondering if they (or something similar) might also be helpful for your son  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.