Cerebral Palsy, ADHD, Autism and Work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cerebral Palsy, ADHD, Autism and Work

Options
JM1357
JM1357 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, my name is Jessica, I'm 18 and have cerebral palsy, ADHD and now waiting for an Autism assessment. I am really struggling with coping everyday. I droppedout of sixth form due to my underdiagnosis at the time. I had to join a Supported internship at the time as I was 17, however I didn't gain much from it because I have always been in mainstream education, I am unable to work and trying to claim universal credit. However, I am worried about the Autumn Statement and what that means. My circumstances don't lend themselves 'not to be working' as I don't have any care package at all. I did try an admin job but I left it within the first week. I did consider going back to education however due to my adhd and extreme anxiety ans sensory challenges I am worried about burning out again. I don't know what to do anymore. Has anyone been through a similar process or have any advice? I would be more than grateful!

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @JM1357

Welcome to the community! :) We have a thread here; The Autumn Statement 2023 talking about the statement if you wish to know and discuss it more. 

I was in a similar situation of trying to find a job that suited me and burning myself out in the process. If you did want to look at employment options, and you are based in England or Wales, Scope have some fantastic Employment Support Services that can help from advice to support in the first few weeks of a job. 

If you need more support with your Universal Credit claim, I encourage you to reach out to Citizen's Advice. They have a lot of information pages on their website you may find helpful to read. 

If you did want to go back into education, can I ask if you have reached out to your local council about remote learning? I wonder if they have more options to support you with finishing sixth form? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JM1357
    Options
    Hi Hannah, 
    Sorry I have only just seen this, 
    I have been really struggling recently. 
    I have looked at the Employment Support Services and have put in an application for the Support to Work Extra and the Career's Support for 15-25 year olds. I did do remote learning for my GCSE's and I found it more difficult with my ADHD to stay on task, manage routine etc. so its a double edged sword, especially as my mum works from home. I may look into it however if I can find a route that works for me its just I'm not sure how I would cope to be honest in either environment. 
  • JM1357
    Options
    I haven't reached out about remote learning I didn't even know you could do that unless of COVID... I have finished my universal credit form and my mum is going to send it off today or tomorrow. 
  • JM1357
    Options
    I'm not sure how the process works with that, as I've never had to do this before. I'm just glad that Scope exists to be honest otherwise I would be lost without it. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.