If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gas & Leccy Bill

Options
noman
noman Community member Posts: 618 Pioneering
Submitted readings for both this morning and was expecting around £200 because the heating has been on a lot this month.

To my surprise the charges are £120 for both.....Happy days...

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,074 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nice one, happy days indeed.

If you were expecting £200 and had the money ready why not pay £200 anyway and be in credit?

We did this and now if we go over some months we don't have to worry.

Not trying to tell you what to do just a suggestion! :)
  • noman
    Options
    I pay £150 per month regardless and am now £220 in credit :)

Last years december bill was around £190.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,074 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh nice that's a nice bonus then :)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Very nice @noman :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 333 Pioneering
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I pay by variable DD so recieve the DD discount but only ever pay for what I use. I make sure to budget more in the winter. 
    I know some like to build up credit but I prefer not to do it that way. 

After 18 months in my new home I have finally got to grips with budgeting for my energy use! With the previous Government subsidy and changing supplier in April, December's g&e bill of £97 means I finally know what figures to put into my budget for winter- I've gone for £125 over the coldest months.

This means I won't have to touch the last CoL payment I'd been saving for energy, and can buy a new mattess instead. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I rarely if ever have heating on and mine is far more than £120 a month  :s 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,121 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My energy bills are about £40/month less than what they were the same time last year. 

I still pay the same DD each month but I have a considerable amount of credit. That may change when I move house middle of next month 😬
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I've had mine on a lot too, mine just used up all the credit I had been in, so I feel ok about it.  NO doubt they will up the direct debit now though.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Our leccy is £57 a month and we are a month in credit, gas hard to compare as we are off the grid and use LPG cylinders at £67 each, in winter they last around 2-3 weeks which is painful but in summer can last 4 months which evens the year out.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    I still pay the same as I have always done - £181 a month. Our monthly usage only generally exceeds that amount in February. Up to now our credit balance is just under £1000.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All electric here.  December 2023 bill cost 25% less than December 2022 bill.   :)
  • Kimmy87
    edited January 1
    Options
    I still pay the same as I have always done - £181 a month. Our monthly usage only generally exceeds that amount in February. Up to now our credit balance is just under £1000.

I understand why you'd want to be in credit for winter months, but why do you need to be £1k in credit which you admit will never get used up?

Effectively you are giving a wealthy company an interest free loan funded by your money. When it could be sat in your bank account earning you interest. 

I am always in a small amount of credit when my water bills are generated (twice a year), last time their system asked for my payments to go up by £24 per year, for absolutely no good reason.
    I refused! They can keep getting £14pm and if the July bill isn't in credit due to April price rises, I'll increase it by £1-2 pounds monthly and review the credit balance in December. 
  • noman
    Options
    It’s 2oldcodgers!

Enough said!
  • Kimmy87
    Options
    noman said:
    It’s 2oldcodgers!

Enough said!
    True, but the reply might be helpful to someone else. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,121 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Kimmy87 said:

I understand why you'd want to be in credit for winter months, but why do you need to be £1k in credit which you admit will never get used up?

Effectively you are giving a wealthy company an interest free loan funded by your money. When it could be sat in your bank account earning you interest. 

I am always in a small amount of credit when my water bills are generated (twice a year), last time their system asked for my payments to go up by £24 per year, for absolutely no good reason.
    I refused! They can keep getting £14pm and if the July bill isn't in credit due to April price rises, I'll increase it by £1-2 pounds monthly and review the credit balance in December. 

You can see a previous thread from him here about energy bills/accounts. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/107701/duel-fuel-bills-post-1-7-23#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Kimmy87 said:

I know but they have in the past refused to give me the money back.
    Also I tried to reduce the DD but the website tells me that it can only go down by a max of 10%. I wanted the credit balance to be used first before I paid them anymore money.
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't know how that could be lawful to allow such a balance.

My supplier, last year, just automatically gave me refunds (including the £67 the government gave them).  They also adjust my DD to reflect the usage, so last winter I was paying £75 a month I think it was and in the summer it went down to £51 a month.  I'm sure I will be looking at an increase again now that I have eaten up the credit I had.

There has to be something you can do about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Why would you allow your supplier to keep £1000 of your money, at best you need to be 2 months in credit so on your figures around £360 so were I you I would be asking for around £600 refund
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.