Another question r.e. "Marker" on file? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Another question r.e. "Marker" on file?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,704 Disability Gamechanger

Apologies for asking a question similar to other recent ones.

I have recently read a few instances of people having some sort of marker on their file regarding their benefits, mental health & risk.

Several years ago I received an ESA50 form. I ignored it as I was not in the best frames of mind, also I, incorrectly, believed being in the support group meant I didn’t have to fill it out.

Nothing happened for 2 years - my benefit stayed the same.

2 years later I received another ESA50 form which I again ignored and my benefit was not changed.

A further 9 months later I was given a telephone interview. I answered several questions and my ESA was kept the same.

Is it possible I have some sort of marker on my file? I am now aware that I was not supposed to ignore the ESA50 form and am lucky to have had my benefit kept the same.

If so, what is the nature and implications of this marker? What does it actually mean?

Thank you.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're asking but it means that they believe your conditions or mental health would impact you being able to reliably return the form. So they look elsewhere for information (writing to doctors, past evidence, and going right to assessment) and won't (usually) automatically end your claim if you don't return it 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Interesting.  I've found this from a previous question which may answer your question. 

From a look online, it seems people can have several markers on their files, nothing to worry about, just things like "may need additional customer support" and such. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you both. :)
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Interesting.  I've found this from a previous question which may answer your question. 

From a look online, it seems people can have several markers on their files, nothing to worry about, just things like "may need additional customer support" and such. 
    Yes I raised a similar question way back.
    In my case my mental health history was well known by the DWP for over 7 years, yet when I was an inpatient for 3 months (Feb to April) and obviously could not access a renewal form for my DLA or even complete it, they cancelled the award (obviously  me thinking that because I was in hospital for that length of time),, but no it was cancelled because I had not renewed the claim in Feb. Presumable I didn't have a marker on my file and wondered why and how would I get one. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Yes I raised a similar question way back.
    In my case my mental health history was well known by the DWP for over 7 years, yet when I was an inpatient for 3 months (Feb to April) and obviously could not access a renewal form for my DLA or even complete it, they cancelled the award (obviously  me thinking that because I was in hospital for that length of time),, but no it was cancelled because I had not renewed the claim in Feb. Presumable I didn't have a marker on my file and wondered why and how would I get one. 

Ut's not something you can request. It's also not just a mental health marker, it's known as a vulnerable marker and not just for those with mental health issues.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.