Hi, my name is jac1poppy2! Been getting sick notes deemed unfit to work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jac1poppy2! Been getting sick notes deemed unfit to work

Options
jac1poppy2
jac1poppy2 Community member Posts: 29 Listener
edited January 6 in Universal Credit (UC)
Been getting sick notes deemed unfit to work can DWP over rule this 

Comments

• jac1poppy2
    Options
    Not done UC before but I am on pip 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sadly yep they can. You'd still have a fit not but they can require you to search for work even with a fit note

Are you only claiming PIP at the moment??
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    I'm on pip and care allowance 
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    Yes but my GP has stated on the fit note that I am unable to work at all 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you’re claiming carers allowance you wouldn’t  be expected to look for work anyway or attend any appointments. 

Does your UC include the carers element? Carers allowance is just deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

Going back to the fit note, that isn’t evidence that you’re not fit for work. 

You will need to be referred for a work capability assessment. If found to have LCWRA then you will receive extra money each month. However, the same person can receive both carers element and LCWRA element at the same time, so you will only receive the higher element, which will be LCWRA. (If awarded) 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 5
    Options
    If found to have LCWRA then you will receive extra money each month. However, the same person can receive both carers element and LCWRA element at the same time, so you will only receive the higher element, which will be LCWRA. (If awarded) 
    Think a typo crept in; the same person cannot receive both carers element & LCWRA element...

• jac1poppy2
    Options
    Yes took it off our joint universal credit
  • poppy123456
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    If found to have LCWRA then you will receive extra money each month. However, the same person can receive both carers element and LCWRA element at the same time, so you will only receive the higher element, which will be LCWRA. (If awarded) 
    Think a typo crept in; the same person cannot receive both carers element & LCWRA element...

Thanks, silly typos. :|
    Yes took it off our joint universal credit

OK, so a joint UC claim and your partner is claiming carers allowance and not you, as you suggested in an earlier comment.

Therefore, unfortunately, you are treated as a job seeker until a decision is made on your work capability assessment. It's a work coaches discretion to either turn off or reduce work commiments, some do and others don't.

You will need to be referred first, which is usually around day 29 but can be later. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you that they are referring you. A few days later you will receive the work capability assessment form in the post. You will need to fill that in and return it with any additional supporting evidence.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    I am in receipt of care allowance NOT my husband I'm also in receipt of pip. My husband has pip but we had do an JOINT UC 
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    My care allowance is for me to care for husband and I'm in receipt of pip as well but they now saying my care allowance is not good enough and I have to seek work I thought as a carer for him I don't just want to warn people on care allowance you are required to look for work

• poppy123456
    Options
    As a carer claiming carers allowance you do not have to look for work or attend any appointments. They are wrong to make you look for work.

However, you keep mentioning carers allowance but this is just deducted in full from your UC so there's no financial gain. 

Does your UC also include the carers element? Please check your statements on your jounal.

Does your husband receive the LCWRA element for himself? If so even if you go through the work capability assessment and are found to have LCWRA then you won't receive any extra money for this because you can only receive it once per claim.
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    No it don't include it 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jac1poppy2

I see you are getting some great support, I just wanted to welcome you to the community! :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    No it don't include it 
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    I'm in recepit of care allowance to look after my husband and im also on pip

My husband is on pip and we claim UC as a couple

They taken off my care allowance as an income but also I have unfit to work note from my GP the dole office told me I do not need to look for work yet Ive been told I have to look for work even though I'm on carer allowance 
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    Thank you for letting me join in this as really very worried about this as they said will affect the universal credit we on and not slept through the worry 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No it don't include it 

Then it should do but UC being what it is, they don't usually automatically include the carers element, if carers allowance is in payment, even though carers allowance is deducted in full.

What you need to do is "report a change of circumstances" by logging into your journal. Then "click" caring for someone. From there you need to report that you're caring for your partner for at least 35 hours per week. You also need to ask for them to backdate it to the assessment period in which your carers allowance started, or the start of your UC claim, if you were claiming carers allowance at that time.
  • jac1poppy2
    Options
    Yet when I went in to dole office I told them that it said on computer I don't have to seek work yet they now told me I have to 
  • jac1poppy2
    edited January 6
    Options
    I was claiming carers since August [removed by moderator - personal information] dole off is aware of it and they even put it down on 11 th December yet they are now telling me I have to work yet how can I afford to get carers in 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You do not need to work or look for work when claiming either carers allowance or carers element. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment

Did you report the changes on your journal as i advised earlier in the thread? The carers element will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.