Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

STILL WORKING ON MR!

Options
scape1960
scape1960 Community member Posts: 75 Connected
Hi, I haven't been on for a while as, due to illness, I've had to try and manage the completion of my MR. I missed the first deadline but rang the DWP who said I could have an extension.

I have now done most of the hard work of gathering inf/evidence together so should be finished within a few days. I'm wondering if anyone had ant thoughts on what I am thinking of doing. For example, I was only awarded 2 points for preparing food despite giving clear evidence originally.

Having read through the GOV.UK Assessment Criteria, there are perfect quotes backing up what I have said. Do you think it would be appropriate to include these quotes that support my evidence/information where it is relevant? TIA!

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,903 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @scape1960 it's good to hear from you again. I hope you're well rested and recovered now?

With regard to the PIP question. Some people will say get as much evidence in as possible, others will say as long as you can show how your conditions affect each specific descriptor, it's fine. Personally I think a mix is ok, so if the evidence you're wanting to include shows how it affects the descriptor, it's good. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,048 Pioneering
    Options

Hi scape, I would do exactly that, yes

• scape1960
    Options
    Thanks! It's just so difficult to decide whether you're doing the right/wrong thing. I read a post where it says not to criticise the HP, however, it's difficult to come across as not criticising when you're saying you don't agree with what they've said because they have not considered information that clearly shows you should (for example) been awarded at least 4 points but have been awarded 0. For what reason? 🤷‍♀️
  • WhatThe
    Options

Yeah forget them! 

You're reminding the next decision-maker of the qualifying criteria (assuming gov website is up-to-date)

You're mostly stating your case to the judge who will appreciate your input if DM's decision is unchanged 

• scape1960
    Options
     I didn't think of it that way, but you're right! Sorry to keep adding things on but the HP also put the wrong health condition on her report. It could possibly have just been a mis-spelling but there were so many errors throughout that, although they're busy (like everyone else!) it just makes you think that they're not doing their job properly and subsequently results in the wrong decision!
  • GGGSE10
    GGGSE10 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    My advice; I used to take it deadly seriously same as you and needed to do these awful forms for my child as well as myself.  However, after taking it so seriously and getting so stressed by it they turned me away on my interview for having one piece of valid ID but not the another one that they would approve of, although I had plenty of suitable ID that would have been accepted by various other gov organisations, so with a painful physical disability had to go home again and go back all and start the interview process all over again another time (what a wast of everyone’s time and money).  Then on the second attempt, I sat through a long interview process with a completely (and obviously) non medically trained ‘assessor’ who I could have probably been a parent to and she was so clueless she assessed me as needing care (which I actually didn’t and hadn’t even claimed for really) and no mobility despite me having MS and struggling to walk or stand at all! 

After that I realised they are taking the P so I thought I would treat them back how they treat me and that’s what I do now.  I don’t lie or make stuff up but I write it with total disrespect in my mind for them as they are so prepared to mess me, a very sick person, around so I just literally copy most of their wording, and give a couple of examples. Then send it back and 100% do the reconsideration and appeals if necessary and then forget about it until it comes.  If it doesn’t I am prepared to go as far as necessary to fight them. 

The whole thing is BS so treat it as such and don’t stress or ever let them get away with a thing is my advice. Treat them with the disrespect that they treat us.  And don’t forget it’s about the help you need even if you don’t get help and describe when you are at your worst not your best.

• WhatThe
    edited January 20
    Options

None of it is the HP's fault or responsibility - the ever expanding options they're tasked with reading and understanding are designed by the DWP and the guidance is updated as they go along

it just makes you think that they're not doing their job properly and subsequently results in the wrong decision!

Hmmm  ;)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,481 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    GGGSE10 said:
     describe when you are at your worst not your best.

No no, that's not good advice at all. You should never ever describe your worst days. Doing so could be seen as benefit fraud. For PIP it's how you're affected for the majority of the days so at least 50% of the days over a 12 month period.

As for treating them with disrespect, i disagree with that. I always say treat people how you would like to be treated and for me that's with respect. 

Believe it or not, not all assessors are bad and what ever they do, no one deserves to be treated with disrespect. If they disrespect you then go down the complaints route.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @scape1960 an extension isn't needed for the MR because you have 13 months in total. As you missed the first month then you must give a reason why you didn't request it within that time, even though you were told you have an extension. If they refuse the late MR then you just proceed with Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • scape1960
    Options
    Yes, I was surprised at that Poppy. Although the guy did call it an extension I didn’t realise that you had 13 months, I thought that when you got an ‘extension’ it was just for a month. I totally agree with ‘treating HP’s with respect’ that’s why I’m concerned with how I disagree with some of her comments and decisions without looking as though I’m criticising her or ‘calling her a liar’! I have decided to include the criteria from DWP to back up what I’m saying, so it’s just a case of 🤞and hope I get a DM who agrees with what I’m saying! BTW interesting news today about DWP saying they’re studying verdicts from appeal hearings to see if they can approve their decision making! 👍
  • scape1960
    Options
    I am still quite unwell, which means it is taking me a long time to complete my MR. This is not helped by the number of inconsistencies which I have to refer to or the statements, that just don't make any sense, because of the inaccurate language. I'm currently having a problem responding to a statement which states ' Although she reports she needs support, she is medical knowledge on the BOP suggests she is likely to be able to do this independently'. I have absolutely no idea what the bold writing means and would love some insight if anyone had come across this at all, nor do I know the meaning of an acronym 'BOP' that would relate to this. TIA!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,142 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think BOP stands for 'balance of probability/probabilities.'
  • scape1960
    Options
    Oh! thank you! I did go through the list of acronyms used in the report but that one wasn't on it. I've learned something new today, now just need to decipher the rest. I feel like I'm wading through mud! 
  • WhatThe
    Options

I've never heard of it either - that's not plain English is it?

Having read through the GOV.UK Assessment Criteria, there are perfect quotes backing up what I have said. Do you think it would be appropriate to include these quotes that support my evidence/information where it is relevant? TIA!

I thought that was a good idea. Any help you give to the Tribunal will work in your favour - they're still trying to understand the new rules!

they have not considered information that clearly shows you should (for example) been awarded at least 4 points but have been awarded 0. 

Let your evidence speak for itself. Same for the report. Focus just on the points you think apply to you and ignore those statements and the assessor/DM in your appeal. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    WhatThe said:

Let your evidence speak for itself. Same for the report. Focus just on the points you think apply to you and ignore those statements and the assessor/DM in your appeal. 

This ^^^ I wholly agree with! Please do not put all your efforts into the report. It's fine to mention a couple of obvious errors or contradictions but then put it to one side and forget about it. This won't get you a PIP award. 

Concentrate on where and why you think you should have scored those points. 
  • scape1960
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so drained and exhausted, I will be so happy when this is completed that I don’t think I will be bothered about the outcome! I’ve given myself 2 more days and then it’s going in. I’ve done the best I can and I think worrying about whether I’ve said the wrong thing is just making my stress levels worse. 🤞
  • WhatThe
    Options

You can't say the wrong thing and you're doing amazing! It ties you in knots, very taxing.   

• scape1960
    Options
    Thanks ‘WhatThe’. Wish it was all over - it’s got me in knots and so stressed, however I do know I’m massively overthinking things! Hope this is my last question re. this MR. I’m having a really bad ‘brain fog’ day and can’t find the address I have to return my MR Form back to. Can anyone help? TIA
  • poppy123456
    Options
    All areas are different so I’m afraid you will need to ring them to ask. 
  • scape1960
    Options
    Thanks anyway, never thought of that! Rang for address and got through quite quickly. Husband is posting as I speak, don't think I've ever been so pleased to complete something and hand it in - much worse than a Uni dissertion!!! If I don't get the result I'm hoping for, think I'm just going to call it a day because, after this I really don't think I could face a tribunal. Is it another round of completing more forms and supporting evidence or is it more simple? TIA 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.