Pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Options
pewak
pewak Community member Posts: 23 Listener
edited March 8 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I could do with some help/advice regarding my PIP appeal please 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sure if you have questions to ask members will do their best to help
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• pewak
    Options
    Ok here goes, I won my PIP tribunal,enhanced on both parts and I received my award letter a few weeks later. After about 4 weeks I had not received any payment from the DWP so I rang them and I was told that I should of received a letter stating that they were going to request a statement of reasons from the tribunal service and that they might appeal my award I didn't receive this letter so they sent a copy out. Fast forward to now which is nearly 3 months after I won the tribunal and still I've heard nothing so last week I phoned the tribunal services and asked what was going on. They looked at my files and said that the DWP haven't even requested a statement of reasons and I believe that they only have a month after my judgement to do this. I first put my claim in for PIP in November 2022 and have not received one penny off them.This has been going on for so long it's making me ill tbh. Has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone know how I stand or what I should do? The courts said they are going to pass it on to their Post Tribunal Team. Any help would be really appreciated thanks
  • Wilshyboy
    Wilshyboy Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Options
    @pewak, Good morning, a few years back i had a problem with the fitness to work medical, I got a really bad assessor, i sent off e mails to everybody i could think of including the Minister for Health and my local MP, within 3weeks later a letter came from the House of Commons and my MP who was looking in to the matter and they would pay me for my expenses and paid me £50, soon after that another interview was booked with a lovely lady Doctor for the assessment,after taking 11minutes on a frame to get to her office instead of 2 for most others, she waited till i got my breath back, 10 minutes in she said I can stop now its obvious you're not fit for work and she finished her report and said this will be sent tonight.                        So i would say email you're local MP giving as much detail times and dates as you can, I cant guarantee he will help,if your MP is like mine you'll stand a chance of something being done, let me know how it goes.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would ring PIP againt and ask for a further update. Tell them that you've contacted HMCTS and they informed you that no statement of reasons have been requested.

If you still don't have any joy then contact your local MP as Wilshyboy advised. You will need to tell them exactly what happened, what date the Tribunal made the decision and the fact you haven't received anything that's owed. They will contact PIP on your behalf. You will also need to make sure you give your name and address. https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/who-should-i-contact/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pewak
    Options
    Well an update on what's happening, it has now come to light that the Dwp have asked for SOR in the time allowed but their request got lost somehow in the courts system!! I believe the request for SOR is now with the judge and has been for 6 weeks,I phoned up the courts and they said they would chase the judge up. Can anyone tell me what percentage of Dwp requests for appeal are successful and do they appeal all SOR requests. This has been going on so long I just feel really down about it all,it makes me feel like giving up
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There’s no stats for this so I can’t tell what the percentage is. I can only advise that it’s rare for them to appeal the decision. Requesting the SOR and ROP doesn’t mean they will appeal. 

There’s also no timescales how long it takes a judge to complete this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pewak
    Options
    Thanks Poppy for your quick reply,all I can do is wait now I suppose. I actually started the PIP process back in November 2022
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome. Once they are sent out DWP will have 1 month to request the appeal. That is a long time to wait!! 
  • pewak
    Options
    Thanks Poppy,when you say it's rare for Dwp to appeal the decision, is it not rare for them to request SOR. I'm just trying to put things into perspective 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. It's rare for both but even rarer for them to appeal the decision. Ive been trying to remember how many times I've known this happen since I've been a member here, which is 7 years this August and I think it's only a couple of stories I read in that time. 
  • pewak
    Options
    Thanks again Poppy,I will update when I hear anymore news
  • mizmoz
    mizmoz Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Hi 
    Just wondered if you had heard anything about your case ?
    I am going through the same now .Won enhanced on both and dwp have asked for a SOR .I didn't even realise this was a thing as I thought the tribunal.award was final for both parties .The judge has the request so I just have to wait and see what happens from here .The wait again is awful .So if you could please update on your progress and how it's gone I would be really grateful  

• pewak
    Options
    Hi mizmoz,I too thought it was done and dusted at the tribunal. The latest is that the dwp have the SOR and have a month to either lodge an appeal or to pay up. So I'm just in limbo at the moment. I will keep you updated and if you could let me know how you get on please.  As far as I'm aware we are the only two on this forum going through this mess.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry to hear they're still mucking you around @pewak, I hope they can resolve this asap for you. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • mizmoz
    Options
    I know it's not great .You just feel in limbo .I know you should just forget about it but it's hard .I have been fighting since 2019 refused lost and mandatory reconsideration. Then I lost my mum and my fight .Reapplied in April 22 received lower care only went for MR again received lower care as well Then in December 22 applied for a tribunal .15 months later I won my tribunal awarded both enhanced to Then have SOR that I never even heard of .Let's hope they Deal with this quickly for both of us .Good luck and I will keep you updated xx
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you too @mizmoz, I had to fight for 18 months to get my PIP sorted, so I can empathise. It's so frustrating having it hang over your head and the waiting is the worst bit. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • mizmoz
    Options
    Morning update yesterday I received my copy of SOR .So I think dwp have 1 month from now to request it to go to upper tribunal. I'm not sure if I should look for anything read it through but to be honest don't know what I am looking for .Have you received yours yet ? Xx
  • pewak
    Options
    Hi Mizmoz,I'm actually away at my daughters at the moment but it will be in the house when I get home tomorrow.  Can you spot any obvious errors and is it a many page document?
  • mizmoz
    Options
    Hey mine is 9 pages but 3 don't have any information on .You can go straight to the descriptions of each point given .I really can't find any errors but i wouldn't know  what to look for .She does criticise the dwp rep for asking questions that weren't relevant and they had no evidence for . She gives an explanation as to why they awarded the points .xx
  • mizmoz
    Options
    Hey you had any news ? I am waiting now to see what dwp do .x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.