Universal credit, LCWRA and housing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit, LCWRA and housing?

laurenmichelle90 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, 
Im new to forums so I apologise if this is in the wrong space. I’m just looking for a bit of advice and I’m not sure what to do or where to go, but I have been on UC for a couple of months and have been awarded LCWRA about 2-3 months ago for mainly mental health struggles which I’m currently trying to get support for. I was previously in uni and worked for a bit so this is my first time claiming anything so I’m quite new to everything.  
I live at home right now but we’re really struggling on space and to be honest I think I could really use an opportunity to try and work on my independence so I have managed to find a small studio flat really close to home and close to everything I need. It’s somewhat affordable for the area but I have been told by the agent that due to my circumstances the landlord is happy for “DSS” and she explained some form of housing benefit but I do understand it’s different under UC, she advised me to call housing options to ask what I’m entitled to which I tried to do but I couldn’t get through to anyone today so I thought it could be worth asking forums as I don’t want to go bothering them if I don’t have to. I was just wondering if I’m even eligible for the housing element of UC if I’m living with parents but looking to private rent? Or is it for certain circumstances only? And does this work differently for me being on LCWRA? And if I am eligible how do I go about applying for this and is there anything else that I need or should know that could really help me out? I know these are probably silly questions but I work myself up worrying about it lol, I just would like to know as much as I can so I can be prepared as it would be an absolute blessing to be able to get my own space and try to get some of my independence back and also give my family some of their space back lol. Any help would be really appreciated, again I apologise if this is in the wrong spot! Thank you so much x 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 7
    Yes, you will be able to claim for help with the rent through your UC known as housing element, as you correctly stated. 

    As you'll be privately renting then you'll need proof of liability to pay rent such as a tenancy agreement. When you move into the property log into your journal and click "report a change of circumstances" then click "where you live and what it costs" and then give details of your rent etc etc. Please note that you won't be able to report the changes until you move in. 

    If you're under 35 and single you will only be entitled to the shared rate of local housing allowance, unless you're claiming either daily living PIP, Mid/high rate care DLA or daily living ADP and then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. If you're 35 and over you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate, regardless of whether you're claiming disability benefits or not. You can see the rates here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ 

    Please note.. when looking for the rates, it will be a weekly rate. To work out the monthly rate please times the weekly amount by 52 and then divide by 12. This is because UC is a monthly benefit. If there's a shortfall of rent you will need to pay that yourself. 

    For council tax reduction this can be claimed from your local Authority. 

    I just wanted to add some extra advice. Before doing this please also take into consideration all the bills you will be responsible for. It's not easy living alone on low income and having all those extra bills. Even more so if there's a shortfall of rent that you may need to pay. The majority of privately rented properties have a shortfall of rent because LHA rarely covers it all. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.