Hi, my name is becw! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is becw!

Options
becw
becw Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hi everyone👋 I just found out about scope and this community today, I'm 27 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4 years ago after experiencing chronic pain from the age of 21. My mobility isn't great most of the time and I'm learning to come to terms with having to use walking aids or a wheelchair. My family, partner and friends (the ones who didn't turn their backs as soon as I became disabled) are my rock. 
I do find it hard to keep my mental health (I have anxiety and depression) in check on the days I can't leave the house or am home alone. 
I was wondering if anyone had any tips and advice? 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @becw, welcome to the community! Coming to terms with all the stuff that comes with disability can be really hard. 

Lots of people find journaling a good way to get their thoughts out and onto paper, is this something you think might work for you? 

Also just lots of distractions! I find that easy little hobbies or things that I can still manage to do on a bad day can help me feel more like I've achieved something, however small it is.

I hope you'll enjoy exploring the community, it's always a nice place to chat things through as many of us have been through similar experiences and understand some of the difficulties :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @becw a welcome from me too
    When your not feeling your best come join in on the forum. Always some one to natter to here. 
  • eeL
    eeL Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    Hi becw, nice to hear from you! I set myself a few little tasks each day, even if it's just feeding the birds or cleaning my fridge! It kinda feels good when you achieve things, however small, and means a day hasn't been TOTALLY wasted! I listen to the radio alot - quite alot educational if you search for it - and listening to favourite upbeat tunes is good too. Also I go down internet rabbit holes for hours - you know, when you think 'Who wrote that song?' or 'Is that comedian still alive?' or 'Why is wee yellow?!' and it takes you onto other subjects (or is that just me?!). Another person to share views, discuss, laugh and chat with is always a bonus - Scope's my only lifeline there and it's nice to have support. People on here aren't judgemental so however **** you're feeling you can say it and somebody else probably knows what you mean and will help!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.