How tf do you develop a healthy relationship with a ablebodied partner? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How tf do you develop a healthy relationship with a ablebodied partner?

Options
chronic_and_iconic
chronic_and_iconic Community member Posts: 22 Connected
How do I build a life with someone where we both feel happy and fulfilled when I'm really just twelve illnesses in a trenchcoat? I'm not talking about dating, although that's of course hard in its own way, especially with invisible illnesses, I'm talking about once actually find someone. After deciding to move in with my boyfriend, I've been asking these questions a lot recently. So far, the best advice has been about equality vs equity-- as in, your relationship might not be equal, but it can be equitable. And that means whatever the both of you decide it does-- as I said in the blog post I eventually wrote on the subject, "the actual balance of work is less important than how you both feel about it."

Anyway, I'd seriously love to hear from anybody with chronic pain trying to be in a relationship (and build a life) with someone who doesn't, and how the heck you get started on a fair foundation that encourages a healthy relationship. Give me your wisdom!

Comments

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    I would say always maintain open and honest communication. 
    Be clear about what you can and cannot do, and any adaptations that will make your life easier. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.