MH support/autism?? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MH support/autism??

Options
redroses91
redroses91 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
I have been under MH services my whole life. Been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and BpD. I don’t think I have BPD what so ever and I think it is autism I was diagnosed with when I was 14. I’ve found it a hard diagnoses to accept if I’m honest and it’s only the past two years I am finally accepting it. 

My MH team don’t know what to do with me or what help to give me. I just get passed pillow to post which makes me feel more frustrated. 

I did have a cpn but that was taken off me and now they’ve referred me to some bridge building thing where I meet up with someone to go out shopping and whatever. 
That’s all when snd good but I do all that and it’s not what I want. I just someone I can talk to. I just never feel listened to. 

Where do I turn to???  Do I go to my GP for support with autism? I just want the right support for myself.  

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    It's really important that you feel like people are listening to you and helping you out, especially when it comes to understanding your diagnosis and getting the support you need. If you feel like your current mental health team isn't giving you what you need, you could try talking to your GP. They can help you figure out what's going on with your concerns about autism and connect you with the right people who can give you the support you're looking for.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • redroses91
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    thank you. 
    I have gone through pals as it’s been an ongoing thing now and I had a phone call with the team manager yesterday but me and my partner also felt it was so generic. It was always, “my team wouldn’t do that, it’s not in there nature etc”… 
    I don’t normally ask for help from them unless I need it because I know how snowed under they are with funding etc.. I feel as frustrated as the MH team do. I wish we could just all figure it out so I can get the right support lol 
    I think my next step will be my GP. All I want is someone to talk to, that is like medication to me, it helps so much otherwise I bottle things up and it gets to a point like now where I am desperate and having bad thoughts because I don’t feel I can express my emotions properly. 
  • redroses91
    Options
    I don’t need a ‘shopping buddy” because I go out a lot and get my own things etc… it’s more my emotions. 
  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    I don’t need a ‘shopping buddy” because I go out a lot and get my own things etc… it’s more my emotions. 
    I know EXACTLY how you feel , I’m diagnosed with BPD too and it’s all emotion based . The CMHT I’m under are completely useless and have ignored my emails for help. They let me down so much last year that I ended up on a psychiatric ward for a few weeks, they are so totally useless. All I want was someone to talk too also but they just ignore everything . I’m at breaking point as well and really don’t know what to do. I hope you get some help from them. Have they offered any therapy for your BPD ? Or have you had any in the past ? 
  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    There’s a lot of stigma attached to BPD . When I was in a ward last year I briefly saw a great psychiatrist who said living with BPD is so distressing because of the emotional dysregualtion …. He was the first and only psychiatrist I’ve seen that was understanding. 
  • redroses91
    Options
    I’ve heard from pals after an extensive process. They are looking into it still. The manager did get back to me but nothing was done so I went back to pals and they went higher up, got contacted he said “it wasn’t a lot to ask for a cpn as he could see my side” so will go back to them. it’s just a lot of two-ing and throwing and I’m just so tired and drained. I’m really burnt out. I don’t want to complain I understand they are stretched. I don’t know what else to do. I’m just not in a good place. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this is dragging on for you @redroses91 it's very unfair on you.  But I'm glad there appears to be some movement at least from the higher ups. 
     I've seen that a lot of women are diagnosed with BPD when it's in fact autism, so it'd definitely be worth asking your GP to start the road toward a possible diagnosis either way. I've written a piece about speeding up the process here which may be of use to you? 

We're all here if you need to talk some things through, I know how important that can be for the brain. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • redroses91
    Options
    @Albus_Scope I had a diagnoses of AS when I was 14 but have just been in the MH system ever since and it just feels no one knows what to do with me. Do you think it’s still worth going to my gp asking for what help I do need? 

The MH team have referred me to a buddy thing but I’ve had that in the past and a cpn is more helpful I just need someone to talk to and not go out shopping with which the buddy thing doesn’t provide. I’m just at a loss I feel. I don’t want to not be awkward but I just feel I’m not being heard by the system. Idk if that makes sense. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I think it's always worth speaking to your GP.  Sometimes even speaking to a different GP can be super helpful.  Some just don't know a lot about mental health unfortunately. 
    Could you possibly use the trip out shopping with the buddy as a time to chat too? Or look into local talking therapies services? 
    I get what you mean about not being heard. It took a few years and a couple of GP swaps before someone paid attention, but once that GP did listen, oh things moved quickly. So hold on in there, there's people out there that really can help. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • redroses91
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this is dragging on for you @redroses91 it's very unfair on you.  But I'm glad there appears to be some movement at least from the higher ups. 
     I've seen that a lot of women are diagnosed with BPD when it's in fact autism, so it'd definitely be worth asking your GP to start the road toward a possible diagnosis either way. I've written a piece about speeding up the process here which may be of use to you? 

We're all here if you need to talk some things through, I know how important that can be for the brain. 
    I had the diagnoses of Asperger’s when I was 14 so it is on my records, I know it’s just autism now I believe not Asperger’s?. I’ve just been in the mental health system ever because no one knows what to do and I don’t know what support to ask for if I’m honest. I just know I don’t want this buddy thing they have referred me to. I can see why they have and I get it but I’m the one doing it at the end of the day I’ve had all that in the past, I don’t need help with independence etc..What helps the most is just someone to talk to which the buddy thing doesn’t provide. 
     I will still look into the info you have give :) so would you recommend still going back to the Gp to see if they know of any support. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Your comment got caught in our spam filters there @redroses91 apologies!  Asperger's now comes under the umbrella of ASD now, so they're seen as pretty much the same thing. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • redroses91
    Options
    @Albus_Scope sorry my comment posted twice as the first one said it didn’t post and didn’t come up. I would definitely prefer talking therapy and have thought about discharging myself back to my Gp be more useful as MH services have said don’t have anything. It’s just finding them ppl. I just get “there’s no funding etc…” I know but ahhhh lol it’s just a constant round about. Again I don’t want to put in complaints and waste my energy on that but in the end, you feel you have no choice. I just want the right help for myself so I will go to my GP and see what’s what lol the buddies I’ve done it all lol it’s not helpful. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    No worries @redroses91 the spam filter sometimes catches things if posts happen too quickly or edits are done fast.  It's something we're looking into. 
    Have you looked into self referral locally for talking therapies? Funding really is an issue currently, it's so darn frustrating, so I totally understand! 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.