Hi, my name is arvin! I suffer with diverticulitis and constipation is my biggest problem — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is arvin! I suffer with diverticulitis and constipation is my biggest problem

Options
arvin
arvin Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 22 in Start here and say hello!
I suffer with diverticulitis and constipation is my biggest problem 

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,060 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @arvin Welcome to the Community. Have you spoken to your GP about your constipation? He should be able to help you. Have a look around and join in when you are ready. If you have any questions please ask. take care.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @arvin and a big welcome from me too! 

So what brings you here today? If you need some support, please ask away.
    If you wanted to get to know folk here, I recommend our Coffee Lounge, or the Games Lounge if you wanted some fun. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • arvin
    Options
    Thank you Albus, they prescribed Luxido,  gastro prescribed immodium,  un natural way of managing my bowel.  Wondered if anyone can suggest anything.  My diet is full of fiber but get constipated for a week. Thanks 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    That does sound difficult @arvin, I always assumed immodium was used to relieve diarrhea? 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • arvin
    Options
    Yes immodium is for diarrhoea,  got both , no natural bowel movements as living on immodium and luxido? 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm afraid I cant give any medical advice, so I can only suggest you speak to your GP about this, sorry I cant be of more help! 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • W_Webster
    W_Webster Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I don't have constipation as bad as you, but perhaps adding extra fruits to your diet may help? I noticed that grapes and prunes (usually the next day) help me a lot already, citrus fruits a little less, but anything more sweet like mangos help after a few days very well. I noticed that fibers alone does not do the trick at all. You need different types of juice and fruits as well (liquids other than water, tea or coffee). If you need something non-medical but more robust, and don't mind to eat "bad" foods occasionally (as in once a month/once a few months), have a greasy take-out. I know, it sounds silly, but anything from fish-and-chips to a Chinese take-out does help too. Just don't do this too often, as your liver will not thank you for it, and of course, the putting on weight is problematic. 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,141 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @arvin It’s a warm welcome from me.
    I am sorry your suffering. 

I live with both Ibs and I would also have problems due to pain meds. 
    I drink juice and smoothie bran flakes but have to go careful what I have as diabetic. But it works for me. 
  • arvin
    Options
    Thank you Ada  yes I have bran flakes and jucius not tried smoothies but have sofy food, I have crohn's and diverticulitis 
  • anniemoss
    anniemoss Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi guys I’ve just joined this site I’m looking for some help into managing diverticulitis. 
    Thank you.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Heya @anniemoss and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear you need help with your diverticulitis, what things have you tried so far?  I'm sure our community will be able to offer some top advice soon. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • anniemoss
    Options
    Thank you Albus .
     I take buscopan atm but it seems to be getting worse. Feels like needles and pins then burns. I know everyone experiences differently.
    My diet varies. I’ve had my gall bladder removed so I’m wondering if this can make it worse. 

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    That doesn't sound easy @anniemoss I really hope some of our community will be able to offer you some top tips once they've all woken up. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • anniemoss
    Options
     There are worse things at sea as they say.

How are you feeling? 
    Have you managed to sort something out regarding yourself?

• anniemoss
    Options
    Sorry that was to the poster Arvin.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.