Abysmal NHS

Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,994 Trailblazing

My local NHS is poor - such things as WAITING 12 weeks to hear the result of a 5day Heart monitor test or waiting 8 weeks to hear the results of a bowel cancer CT scan…….. and ABSOLUTELY no response at all to emails sent regarding accessories available to allow me to carry a cup of tea, from the kitchen to the living room using an NHS supplied electric wheelchair………somehow the hospital is rated as being in the top 20 in the country ……

Comments

• Wibbles
    edited July 31

And to top things up - I have, today been refused laxatives to help me poo by my GP - necessary because I am on a high dose of Codeine pain killers which has a strong constipation effect.

I am going to have to buy my own…..

I have just asked my GP why I haven't been given any CT scan results and have been asked "Who asked you to have a CT scan"

MY GP DID - YOU CAN'T JUST TURN UP AT A HOSPITAL AND HAVE A SCAN

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Wibbles.

Did the GP give a reason for not prescribing laxatives? Seems strange if they know you're on a high dose of codeine. Those waiting times are long and it's sad that they haven't responded to your emails either. Have you considered putting a complaint in? Have you had a needs assessment done by Adult Social Care?

• Wibbles

I've been prescribed MACROGOL which is a poo softener instead

and yes I had a care needs assessment last year

• Rachel_Scope

Ah I see. Do you think you will lodge a complaint? It's important that your needs are met. I would call them if you can, it's not easy to ignore a phone call!

• egister
    egister Posts: 279 Empowering

Macrogol and bowel cancer ? … hospital is rated as being in the top 20 in the country ?

• Wibbles

I have emailed PALS - Yesterday (no response yet!)

• Rachel_Scope

I've got my fingers crossed they get back to you soon! Let us know.

• Wibbles
  • Cantilip
    Cantilip Community member Posts: 624 Empowering

NHS recommends lactulose - is that what was not prescribed?

These common side effects of codeine happen in more than 1 in 100 people. There are things you can do to help cope with them:

Constipation

Try to get more fibre into your diet, such as fresh fruit, vegetables and cereals….It's safe to use a laxative if your constipation does not go away. Usually, lactulose is best but check with a pharmacist or doctor first.Side effects of codeine - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

• Wibbles

• Wibbles

Its too chronic for fruit and veg to help !

I find Senna works best for me - not too explosive - its gentle.

• Wibbles
    edited August 5

I've now been waiting 2 months for the results of a CT scan for cancer of by bowels with nothing said...

I emailed Pals last Wednesday

I received a confirmation received on Wednesday

My GP told me to contact colerectral but I can't email them

But nothing else

What would you do?

• Rachel_Scope

Hi @Wibbles. I know results can take a while but I wouldn't have thought it'd take this long, especially when it's for cancer. I found this which suggests that you should get results within 1-2 weeks https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/tests-and-scans/ct-colonography#:~:text=You%20usually%20get%20the%20results,sent%20you%20for%20the%20test.&text=The%20radiographer%20will%20then%20ask,the%20centre%20of%20the%20ring. . Did PALS give you any indication of how long they'd take to look at your query?

Have you tried to call the department that did the CT scan? Could you see another GP and express how urgently this needs to be dealt with?

• Wibbles
    edited August 6

Still have not heard about my CT scan that I had on June 8th on my bowels

I am unable to speak on the phone

The x-ray department doesn't use Email.
    So I emailed PALs last Wednesday.
    Nothing heard from PALs except for an "mail received" confirmation
    So I emailed complaint's

Nothing heard from complaint's !!

The hospital has some explaining to do.

• Wibbles
    edited August 6

I was prescribed codeine for diahorrea a few years ago.

So yes I would say that it has constipation side effects on 100 in 100 people

• Wibbles

Still not heard a thing from the hospital so I am emailing the ICB - Integrated Care Board !

• Wibbles
    edited August 8

I heard from PALs yesterday - telling me that they were sorry for not answering me but there was a "slight" backlog due to a large number of complaints - they told me that they were going to contact the department concerned and would get back to me as soon as possible…

I have already been waiting for over 8 weeks for a cancer diagnosis and am not willing / should no be expected - to wait any longer……..nothing more hear yet !!

Incidentally - none of the departments at my local hospital use E-mail…..This must break all sorts of equal opps laws ? How are the non-speakers amongst us, supposed to communicate with them ?

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Sorry to hear they're still giving you the run around @Wibbles I really hope they don't keep you waiting much longer.

• Wibbles

I have just heard from PALs

The doctor is on holiday - back on Monday after which time she will review the results

So - after 9 weeks - I still have to wait!!

And Pals informed me that the colerectal department do NOT use email…!!

• Wibbles
    edited August 9

Have you ever hear such rubbish in your life ?

"The hospital doesn't use email"

Why didn't Pals just tell me the truth - the email is not for patient use - even for those who cannot speak ?