Email To Grahame Morris

Ironside1990
Ironside1990 Community member Posts: 120 Empowering

I've decided to email my MP about my concerns about the proposed PIP reforms and how the disabled community would be impacted. It's in my drafts, but i wanted to get a second opinion on here.

Dear Grahame Morris
I am writing to express concern about the proposed PIP reforms. Since Rishi Sunak announced this proposal to replace cash payments with vouchers, it has caused a lot of terror and anxiety amongst the disabled community, many PIP claimants are scared about the future. I have seen many a thread about it on the Scope forum and it is heartbreaking.
Cash payments allow disabled people to assess their own needs and purchase things to make their lives easier. It promotes not only independence to allow disabled people to go about their daily lives with ease, but also financial independence.
A voucher system would only create a financial apartheid and deny us independence. Being told how much to spend and where to spend it, doesn't really promote independence.
When parliament resumes on the 2nd September, I implore you to mention this at the next PMQs. The disabled community need peace of mind and we have the right to live with dignity and go about our lives in peace, without being demonised constantly.
Thank you for your time.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ironside1990

Email sent off. Now to wait for a response. Hope to have some reassurance.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Fingers crossed for a good reply there @Ironside1990 thank you for sending that email.

• Ironside1990

I'll keep an eye on my inbox and I'll post the response here,if I get a reply.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

God I sent Stephen timms email saying everything I think I went to far was actually scared

• Razr
    Razr Community member Posts: 23 Connected

A Voucher system, I for one will definitely be forced into debt, my finances are fine as they are, Does anyone know of a petition addressing this issue?

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

The government are reading through the green paper now on it all now @Razr it's not set in stone, as it was just an idea thought up by the previous government, so I'd try not to worry too much.

• LIVEDANDLEARNED
    LIVEDANDLEARNED Community member Posts: 88 Empowering

I’m glad you wrote an email to you MP I wish more people did. X

• Razr
    Razr Community member Posts: 23 Connected

@Ironside1990 would it help if we copy your letter and send one ourselves?

• LIVEDANDLEARNED

@Razr I think it’s best if everyone writes a personal one from the heart about how it would affect them personally.

• Ironside1990

I''ve been paranoid since I sent that email. It's the first time I've messaged a government figure and I hope I haven't come across as rude.

• LIVEDANDLEARNED

@Ironside1990 I think your letter is wonderful and not rude all x

• Catherine21

Omg me too listen your OK the email I sent to Stephen timms I said everything and I mean everything why they discrimination against disabled and wrote lots I had to delete email so I couldn't keep reading it I got a response saying I've read with great instreast and passed on and someone will respond in due cause sorry dyslexic so don't worry at all

• Catherine21

Oh I just read your email it's perfect

• LIVEDANDLEARNED

I also wrote to Stephen Timms and I’ve got to say he was absolutely lovely about it. I think it’s really important that whatever passions we have about it, we remain polite and speak with sincerity, yet respect, or they’ll just not feel good about us. Ultimately we want a good relationship with them. I feel so worried about it all though, so I totally understand the stress everyone else feels too x

• LIVEDANDLEARNED

@Ironside1990 I meant to say not rude AT ALL, sorry xx

• Catherine21

No don't worry yours is polite respectful yes if only I thought before sending I've worried endlessly may I ask what was Stephen timms response he said passing my on and I will recieve response haven't yet I'm wondering if send after September