learn to drive Grant, is it possible?

GreyKitty97
GreyKitty97 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

So I've recently had my review results back and I've been upped to higher rate for both daily living and mobility. I have heart, lung, thyroid and muscular problems, as well as mental health issues. I do not leave the house and haven't in over 6 months, my dad and partner care for me and I'm currently waiting on an occupational therapist to begin work with me

My question is, while I'm not well enough mentally to drive yet, I long for some type of independence. My physical health is getting worse and I worry that I'll be totally restricted in a few years, I believe I would qualify for the 40 hours of driving lessons the dwp offer, since I've done my theory and have a provisional liscence

The issue I have is that on my mobility component, they have written in the "planning and following a journey" section that I "cannot follow any journey because it would cause overwhelming physiological distress" which is very true for me and how I have been for the last 4 years. But I don't want that to be the case forever, and there have been times where I have been able to leave the house, but only with someone I know supporting me.

Does that mean if I ever got to the point where I can leave the house, and I looked into driving, my claim would change? I know I'll always need someome to support me, but my partner and dad already drive, meaning this would be a selfish act for me to gain some form of independence, if it's even possible for me at all.

I just need something to look forward to other than getting sicker

Waiting on the review results made me incredibly unwell, and I really cannot go through that again. Worrying that I won't be able to survive again puts me in a very dark place and it's already incredibly hard to maintain daily life, all I want is to see the beach again

Any help or answers are appreciated

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

I'm assuming you scored points in the moving around part of mobility as well as following and planning a journey, activity 1E (10 points), is that correct?

If so and you are able to go out more often in the future and you're unable to plan the route of a familiar journey without another person, assistant dog or orientation aid then this would be 12 points for activity 1F. Or there's also activity 1D can't follow the route of a unfamiliar journey, which is 10 points, same as 1E. If it's 1D, that along with points for the moving around part could still mean Enhanced mobility.

For your question about a grant for learning to drive. If you are a Motability customer and you're expecting collection of a vehicle within the next 4 months you can apply for a grant through those to be able to learn to drive.

You so need to be in receipt of certain means tested benefits to qualify. Information here.

https://www.motabilityfoundation.org.uk/charitable-grants/access-to-mobility-grants/driving-lessons/