What do you think about people on benefits spending on luxuries?

littleaspiegirl1993
littleaspiegirl1993 Community member Posts: 16 Listener

Hi all, I'm new here.

I suffer from severe anxiety, depression, possibly PTSD or C-PTSD, autism, dyspraxia and a speech impediment. I've been on ESA and PIP since I was a teenager (I'm 31 now), never had a paid job in my life, I've applied for countless jobs over the years and not a single one of them will take me on for whatever reason so I'm waiting to hear back from a voluntary job now to hopefully gain some experience, and hopefully will grow into a paid job one day. However, I am also thinking of taking up some paid hobbies in the meantime to get myself out of the house a bit more and get myself out of my comfort zone. I already go to singing lessons once a week (I love music and I love to sing), used to go horseback riding once a week too, but stopped a while ago to pursue a charity thing I was doing, thinking about going back as I loved it there and while I was there I dreamed of becoming an instructor one day, and also thinking of taking up some other paid hobbies such as joining a gym or starting a martial art or something (I used to love martial arts but had the confidence knocked out of me when I was still at school). Thinking of learning to drive and getting a tattoo maybe, but at the same time I'm so reluctant to because it's not money that I'm earning myself - it is the money of taxpayers, and there are so many people out there who say they have mental illnesses too but they still get up and work full time, and probably don't even get as much I do a month in benefits (which is roughly £1,300 a month I think, not 100% sure though), and I feel so bad when I compare myself to them. I don't want to take advantage of people, and thankfully there are some people who say that benefits are for living and not just surviving, which I'm trying to keep in mind.

I still live with my mum btw, and she pays most of the bills, although I do pay for my subscriptions myself and help out a lot around the house.

Comments

• IntoTheFire1
    IntoTheFire1 Community member Posts: 116 Contributor

It's your money to spend it on whatever you decide you want to use it on. It doesn't matter if you've earned it or not, you're entitled to it. It's not your fault that you can't go out and work.

I am in a similar situation to you, I get UC and LCWRA currently and just applied for PIP recently and I also live with my mum. You also have to remember that the processes to get the money you're entitled to isn't an easy process.

• Ironside1990
    Ironside1990 Community member Posts: 120 Empowering

I would be boring if you only spent your money on things that you need. People on benefits like LCWRA and PIP usually treat themselves to an Amazon purchase, or on a hobby.

It boosts mental health.

• littleaspiegirl1993

@Ironside1990, what about more than one hobby, like I said?

• Ironside1990
    Ironside1990 Community member Posts: 120 Empowering

That's fine @Littleaspiegirl1993

• littleaspiegirl1993

@Ironside1990 just don't wanna be unfair on taxpayers is all.

• IntoTheFire1

It's not really being unfair to them though, it's money you are entitled to?

• littleaspiegirl1993

@IntoTheFire1 but some of them are just like "why should taxpayers have to fund your luxuries when most people can't afford them", so it makes me feel bad.

• IntoTheFire1

Yeah, I understand that statement. I hate the way it makes me feel when people say that, but I also remind myself that if I could work, I would. Most of the people on benefits genuinely can't work because of their conditions and daily struggles. It's not easy to get what we're entitled to, so I'd say try and ignore them, but it's easier said than done.

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 707 Championing

@littleaspiegirl1993 It is great that you are exploring new hobbies and interests. PIP is intended to support a better quality of life, so spending on things that enhance your well-being, like joining a gym or taking martial arts classes, is absolutely reasonable. Everyone’s situation is unique, and working on your mental health is a significant endeavour in itself.

Once you are in a better place, you may feel ready to consider work opportunities or further education. You will know when the time is right; it might take a few years, but it is so important to live at your own pace. Do not compare yourself to others, what matters is that you are investing in yourself and doing what is right for you. There is no need to feel guilty or think it is a waste of taxpayer's money, it certainly is not. Keep pursuing what makes you feel good, you deserve it!

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,018 Empowering

I feel the same that's why worried about uc because I have a thing about face creams and then going through bank statements but I relized I'm not the only one who cannot control impulse it really is part of illness so glad to hear what poppy's reply was awful isn't that we have to worry

• Catherine21

Have a lovely holiday where are you going ? Also what tattoo did you get and lastly thankyou for all your wise words and support

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

Thank you, we will and you're welcome. I'm going with my daughter to Rhodes in Greece for 11 nights, flying Saturday afternoon. I can't wait for some sun because that helps so much with my pain.

My tattoo is 3 roses, which includes my late nan's name and the nick name she always called me. Starts from my wrist up to my elbow.

• egister
    egister Posts: 279 Empowering

My opinion is that any assistance to disabled people should not depend on their financial assets, but only on their health.

• Catherine21

Tattoo sounds lovely well enjoy you help so many people and ask noting in return have a fabulous time

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,966 Championing

This question comes up regularly and it always causes a divide. I suspect the answers would also be very different if you ask most of the general public, rather than a benefits forum.

Personally I don't believe that people on benefits should end up with more disposable income than people that work.

However we're all now stuck in a society that hasn't really been built properly. And many of us are also stuck in a benefits system that doesn't work properly. We're victims of the system unfortunately.

I'm in a similar situation to yourself, end up with far more money than I need now. I had to get PIP in order to get enough housing benefit to cover rent for living alone under 35 (which is necessary due to my conditions) but that meant that in addition to having enough money to cover my rent, I then also had all the PIP money, plus SDP as well because of PIP being a gateway benefit. I don't believe this is 'fair' on taxpayers at all. I don't need all of this money. But what can I do about it? There's no way to voluntarily stop just part of this money. And because I can't go out, and only have a very small property, there's nothing that I can really spend the excess on.

So I think it does need to be considered individually. I would say that learning to drive is a skill that will be used for the rest of your life, so not a waste of money. And I would also say that one tattoo is perfectly acceptable in my opinion, even two or three would be. However, if you then went on to buy a luxury car and have a full body tattoo, that would then be seen as excessive and unfair in my personal opinion, which will be different to other peoples. 🙂

• Catherine21

I disagree we are unable to work so what do you expect charles dickens days being disabled in this country is the pits the absolute pits if you feel this way why don't you donate to a charity sick of felling less of a person being disabled you might get your wish after the 30th October

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,966 Championing

I do donate to various charities. I cannot donate all of the excess to charity because that would be seen as deprivation of capital.

• giveusaclue
    giveusaclue Community member Posts: 22 Connected

Maybe you could pay your mum some board money (if you don't already, that is)?