What do you think about people on benefits spending on luxuries?

Comments

• IntoTheFire1
    IntoTheFire1 Community member Posts: 116 Contributor

No need to apologise, it's all good.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,975 Championing

Thank you for that reply. I had not really considered the working people getting PIP, although my post was about benefits as a whole rather than just PIP. The main feeling I have about total income is that people who are unable to work and on benefits should get enough to live a comfortable life, as should everyone working a full time job. However, if working people want luxuries, they have to sacrifice something to pay for them, extra time, extra energy, extra stress, etc. I just don't feel it's fair on them for those of us on out-of-work benefits to be able to afford the same luxuries without having to make additional sacrifices. I must also state that I've heard many taxpayers complain about how benefits are spent, particularly from my own family members!

Unfortunately the reason I can't get out now is because I'm trapped in an unsuitable property. I can't change much because it is owned by the landlord. But it is also very small, meaning that most decent kitchen appliances don't fit so I've ended up with cheap ones that don't work (and have have further exacerbated my conditions). The bed is built in, attached to the wall, so I can't change that despite it being very low and uncomfortable, and while I do own a couple of chairs, I ordered a new one that I had to return, and can't face all that hassle again unless I am eventually able to go out and physically test some in shops before buying. I also can't cope with anyone in to redecorate and can no longer do something like that myself.

The problem I have with the current system is that it's all about money. Extra money is of no use in my situation. Yet it seems to make other people jealous and angry.

What I really needed when I first applied for PIP (along with 1 bedroom rate of housing) was access to the Motability scheme. I could only use my own vehicle to travel, always alone, only very short distances, and it had to be very smooth riding, not too firm and not too bouncy due to vertigo & digestive issues. It also had to be very reliable, which was the main problem with my car at the time. On paper, common sense and logic would dictate that someone in that position would hugely benefit from a Motability vehicle, but unfortunately I did not fit any of the PIP Mobility descriptors because I could go out alone on the majority days, irrespective or the distance or vehicle requirements. Motability do not allow external applications. I eventually lost the ability to drive altogether, and was then awarded more money, which seems absolutely absurd.

So now I'm trapped in an awful situation, in a property that is unsuitable and continuing to damage my health, and being completely unable to move or access healthcare now that I cannot travel at all. Yet I'm getting a load of money that I can't use, which adds to my guilt, and means that I'm constantly having to watch the savings limits, causing additional stress. I don't know why anyone would be jealous of this situation, it seems that most believe money would solve all of their problems, which just isn't my experience at all. Honestly, I wish I'd never applied for PIP now, the process caused damage to my health which has not improved since, and the extra money has not created any improvement in my situation, largely because I couldn't access more suitable housing (turned out no-one wants people like me in desirable properties), I couldn't access a more suitable vehicle when I really needed it, and couldn't access suitable healthcare either.

Just to answer the final questions. I don't agree with the £6k savings limit for means testing. It just creates unnecessary stress. If we look at the common things disabled people have to save up for, such as Motability advance payments or private health treatment, that £6k doesn't go very far in todays world. I believe there does need to be a limit, but it needs to be much higher than it currently is. As for whether or not you should get PIP with savings over £6k, to me that depends on what you can use it for. I'm not aware of your specific situation, but if you can spend the money on items that are needed because of the impact of a disability then yes, of course you should get it. But if, like me, the money is of little to no use to your conditions then no I don't believe that's fair. (Again, that's my opinion, not intended to upset anyone and I certainly don't judge anyone individually for which benefit they get or what they spend it on, just a broad general point.) If you have extra financial needs due to a disability but your colleagues don't, then yes I would say it's fair that you get the extra money and they don't.

(Again, just to clarify, this is all my opinion based on my own circumstances and past experiences, not intended to upset anyone.)

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,961 Online Community Coordinator

Thanks for sharing @OverlyAnxious I agree the savings cap can lead to a lot of hurt and stress to many disabled people.

It's also worth noting to everyone that what some see as luxury items, may be actual necessities to others.

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 992 Pioneering

I have just bought a new Apple MacBook and will be getting a new iPhone when it’s released next week,my money to spend on whatever I want!

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 199 Connected

@OverlyAnxious

Hi, hope you’re having a good day.

Could you think about using the excess money that worries you to move to a property that’s more suited to your needs (as you say your current housing isn’t good for your well-being).

I’ve always been in (unfurnished) private rented accomodation (I could potentially be waiting forever for social housing), and HB covers less than 2/3 of my rent…this means I spend a large part of my disability benefits on rent.

I would like to be in the position of worrying about having too much money, but that’ll never happen as there’s always some household item needs replacing…I imagine this is probably the case with most people.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,975 Championing

Hi Vikki,

That is what I had intended to use the extra money for. I couldn't afford a more suitable property when I was on ESA and shared-rate housing benefit, as most of the ESA was going on the rent, similar to your situation.

But once I got the extra income from one-bed housing benefit (along with PIP & SDP) every private property I enquired about was immediately refused due to being on benefits. It turned out that my income was no longer the limiting factor in my housing situation.

Then I applied to the local housing association, and was accepted with a high band for medical need, however there are so many limitations on my application that there hasn't been anything suitable for me to bid on in nearly 2 years. What I need is a bungalow as I can't safely & reliably manage stairs due to the vertigo (so a stair lift would not work in my situation), but there are so few bungalows in my area, and almost all of them are 2 bedroom, which I'm not allowed to bid on as a single person. [As a side note, I also feel it would not be fair to take a 2 bed bungalow from a family that need it even if I was allowed]

My daily life would be improved so much by a more suitable property, but it just seems like a complete impossibility now.

I must admit I've very rarely had the landlord do any maintenance here, as I always found it difficult having people in, and they always seemed to fix one problem and create another, so I'm not sure that I would spend much more on maintenance in an unfurnished property. I can make minor repairs myself. But had set aside a certain amount to cover a few bits of furniture etc ready for a move.

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

It's been great to read everyone's perspectives on this. It's a good question and I can totally understand your feeling guilty @littleaspiegirl1993. However, you don't need to feel guilty. We're entitled to the money as we have a disability that limits what we're able to do. The extra money makes things a little easier. Do the hobbies! Get the tattoo! Treat yourself!

I hope the voluntary job role comes through and that it goes well. What kind of job is it? I have anxiety and depression and I didn't work for a few years as it was just too difficult. I felt the same guilt as you but it's not necessary. It's there for us because we need it.

Tell us more about the singing! I love to sing too, what kind of music are you in to?

• vikki66

Hi @littleaspiegirl1993

Hope you’re having a good day.

You shared your thoughts, so I’m doing the same. I don’t mean to cause anybody any distress, just as you didn’t.

I agree with @IntoTheFire1 that some of your comments are a bit insensitive.

I didn’t like the bit when you said that there are lots of people who “say they have health problems but still work full-time.” It feels like you’re being judgemental as to whether they do actually have MH problems. Many people with severe mental (and/or physical) health illnesses do work, and to the detriment of their health. Many people don’t know they might be entitled to benefits, or need, but don’t have, anybody to help them with the process of claiming, so don’t claim. Nobody is actually forced to claim benefits. We claim them because we’d absolutely struggle to live without them (and there have sadly, been people whose benefits were stopped leading to their deaths, as they literally couldn’t afford to live).

I’m grateful for the benefits I’ve received since I had to give up work, and though I do think it’s terrible that there’s massive inequity wherein many people are struggling in really low-paid, often exploitative, work situations, I claim the benefits that I’m deemed entitled to claim. This means I can afford to live, and to do some things that contribute to my wellbeing.

Everybody’s wellbeing is dependent on different things, and as (I think) Albus said, those things are essential to them.

You say to dave1993, when he says his animals keep him sane that you thought disability benefits were only for “essentials” - trust dave when he says these are essential to his well-being.

If you’ve been claiming benefits for c15 years you must know that the g’ment don’t (as yet) dictate what you can spend them on, or define ‘essentials’ in any way. You say you’ve taken horse-riding and singing lessons from your benefits - I’m glad you’re able to do those things if they help with your wellbeing. If that’s the things you deem essential I hope you can keep doing them for as long as possible.

I found it a bit condescending that you seem to be assuming that everybody on benefits is living an easy life, full of ‘paid hobbies’ and ‘luxuries.’ If/ when you move out of your mum’s, I think you’ll find that life isn’t like that for most of the people on disability benefits. Maybe somebody will be saving for a holiday and their washing machine will die, so the holiday plan takes a setback, or their rent goes up by £75pcm…

As I said, no offence meant to anybody, just adding a different viewpoint.

Hope you, and anybody who reads this, is having a good day 🙏

• littleaspiegirl1993
    littleaspiegirl1993 Community member Posts: 16 Listener

@vikki66 I'm very sorry if I came across as rude, not at all my intention.

• vikki66

@littleaspiegirl1993

No problems, hope you weren’t offended by anything I said, I didn’t intend any rudeness either.

Hope you find things to do that help with your wellbeing.

• Cantilip
    Cantilip Community member Posts: 625 Empowering

I think because all of us here have got common sense we're assuming everyone has! What I mean is I think probably all of us, tax-payers or not, would be OK with people spending whatever they have left over after essentials on whatever gives them a bit of pleasure but would not be impressed by not being able to feed the children or pay the rent because all the money's been spent on things you do not actually need.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

If you tell pip you have pets they use against you I spend all my money on face creams I've got no impulse control been therapy many times still can't stop before that I used to drink I've actually spent money and not paid bills Mental health is real I don't act like Mary Poppins people to say you think you get to much wait till you start running a house flat you won't be saying that then sounds like you haven't got many responsibilities so like spending money to you

• vikki66

Hi @OverlyAnxious

I’m sorry to hear you’re caught in a housing trap too. There are probably not many social housing properties that are one-bedroom bungalows😥 so you might have a long wait.

In a social development my friend moved into about two years ago they had built flats where the ground floor is adapted housing, with only one flat on top, which was not adapted housing. They have a shared garden at the back. It would be good if they built more like properties like this, so people didn’t have to wait so long for adapted.

It shouldn’t be legal to discriminate against people on HB/ benefits, because it’s a kind of indirect discrimination against your disability.

I get what you’re saying about knowing that the property is not good for your health, but feeling like you’ll never get a more suitable property or social housing.

They don’t have bidding here, you only get told you have a certain amount of points, but they don’t tell you how many people have more points than you, increasingly they go on about the small number of properties they have vs the huge numbers on the waiting list. Without meaning to doom-spiral, I think the situation will only get worse.

I hope that you can be as cosy as you can in your current place, and try not to let it get you down.

A few months ago I felt terrible about how our housing is impacting us, but have gradually bought some cans of paint, new vinyl for the bathroom, and nets and curtains for the kitchen. Saving the money now to get somebody to do those jobs.

Best wishes

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 710 Championing

I was deeply moved when I read your post. I am truly sorry to hear about the struggles you are facing, especially being trapped in an unsuitable home and dealing with the stress of a system that does not seem to address your most pressing needs. It is heart breaking that, despite receiving financial support, it has not led to the improvements in your life that you so desperately need and truly deserve.

Your insights into the savings limit and system flaws highlight the significant challenges many face. The £6,000 limit for means-tested benefits is increasingly inadequate in 2024, as it fails to account for rising costs and the need for savings to cover unforeseen expenses. Adjusting this limit is an urgent necessity to better support those managing health problems and to ensure they are not penalised for having essential savings. The threshold needs to reflect the realities of our time, rather than being based on outdated models that no longer address current needs and challenges.

It is distressing that the system meant to support you instead adds to your stress and invites unwarranted judgment from others. Your situation highlights the need to move beyond simplistic views of financial support and recognise that, alongside financial aid, there are deeper needs that often go unmet. Take care xx

• vikki66

Hi @MW123

Thanks for taking the time to respond like that, I appreciate it.

Yeah, I get your point - £6000 now compared to say ten years ago. Despite whatever official figures say I feel like you’d get about half what you’d have got a decade ago. I know my rent has doubled, food - when I see the prices I’m always remembering Lurpak when you could get 2 x 500G on offer for £3, and so on🤣🤷‍♂️

Maybe somebody could seat a petition re the ‘savings’ limit?

• littleaspiegirl1993

@vikki66 I hope you can accept my apology for coming off rude. Really not at all my intention.

• vikki66

Hi @littleaspiegirl1993

Sorry - I replied already, to say no worries. When I type your name it doesn’t highlight it, so maybe it didn’t flag you.

Genuinely hope you can do your horse-riding and singing if they make you feel good, I find the thought of both of those things terrifying🤣

• littleaspiegirl1993

@vikki66 no I read your other reply, I just wanted to say again that I hope you can forgive me.

I'm thinking of joining a gym or martial arts class or something too.