Liz Kendall and DWP’s First Opposition Question Session in Parliament 7 October 2024

MW123
MW123 Scope Member Posts: 707 Championing

On the 07 October 2024, the DWP team led by Liz Kendall will face opposition questions for the first time. MPs must submit their questions three days in advance to give ministers time to prepare. These questions will be published on the Parliament website before the session for transparency.

Given the significance of the proposed changes and their potential impact on PIP recipients, it’s reasonable to expect that some MPs may use this opportunity to seek clarification or updates on the government’s plans regarding PIP reforms.

The page hasn’t received any MP's questions yet but will be updated when they are submitted. It will be interesting to see if any of our members, who have already contacted their MPs with concerns, have their questions raised on their behalf.

Here’s a link confirming the date.

https://whatson.parliament.uk/event/cal48639

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Ah brilliant, thanks for sharing @MW123 I'll definitely be tuning in for that.

• apples
    apples Community member Posts: 336 Empowering

Thank you @MW123 this will be interesting

• Ironside1990
    Ironside1990 Community member Posts: 120 Empowering

I asked Grahame Morris to raise my concerns about PIP. Fingers

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    edited September 6

Thank you @MW123 I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd repost your link to make it clickable for members that are unable to copy and paste your link.

https://whatson.parliament.uk/event/cal48639

• MW123

Poppy, I genuinely appreciate your kindness and support. I tried to post the link twice, once during my lunch break yesterday and again last night, but unfortunately, I had difficulty with it. You have a remarkable gift for understanding things, while I must admit I am not very adept at posting links or downloading apps. Despite having worked with computers for many decades, I rely on my secretary to handle the part where I may have to add a link in emails, so I have never really learned how to do it myself. I have a vague idea but as you have seen from my posts, I have trouble figuring out how to add links on my own, so I truly need all the support I can get!

I also heard that you and your daughter are heading off on holiday today. I cannot think of anyone more deserving of a good rest after all the invaluable hours you have dedicated to helping our community this year with your expertise on the benefits system. A big THANK YOU—you will certainly be missed. Have a fantastic holiday, and please bring back some sunshine; we could really use an Indian summer!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

You're very welcome, I was hoping you would be ok with that. Posting links can be frustrating at times when it doesn't appear as a clickable link. It took me a few attempts this time, as you see by the edit in my comment.

Thank you for such lovely kind and thoughtful words, it really does mean a lot to me. We are both very excited this morning. I can't wait to relax by that pool and not do a single thing for 11 nights.

We've hardly had a summer this year so the hot sun is definitely needed and my pain levels will be considerably reduced and that's a huge bonus. I will be sure to bring some sun home with me.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,018 Empowering

I'm scared to watch can I ask someone said the goverment refused to sign echr human rights Bill would it be a bad thing of we come out of echr

• MW123

@Catherine21

Catherine, I am not sure who you are referring to when you mention someone saying the government refused to sign the ECHR. In fact, the UK was the first country to sign it in 1951, so I am unclear about the reference.

As a disabled person, I feel more secure with the protections afforded by the ECHR, which are incorporated into UK law through the Human Rights Act 1998. Although the government already has a degree of flexibility within the ECHR framework, I am concerned that without these protections, the rights of disabled and vulnerable groups could be further eroded. This could leave already vulnerable and disabled individuals more susceptible to policy changes that might cause them harm.

I understand that not everyone shares my view, and some people believe the UK should leave the ECHR. However, from my personal perspective as a disabled individual, I value the safeguards provided by the ECHR and worry about the potential consequences of losing them.

• Catherine21

No I agree it's reform banging on about ECHR taking it out under the cloak of sending refugees back whilst taking all our rights away

• MW123

Catherine, I apologise for the confusion in my previous response. I initially misunderstood your comment, thinking someone implied the government had refused to sign the ECHR, which is historically inaccurate.

I now recognise that you were referring to the Reform Party's stance on the ECHR, which was not directly mentioned in your original post. It is worth noting that this view is not exclusive to the Reform Party, as some Conservative MPs have expressed similar views on leaving the ECHR particularly during debates on the now abandoned Rwanda plan.

That said, even if the UK were to leave the ECHR, it would still be obligated to adhere to other international agreements which guarantees the right to seek asylum. These legal frameworks would restrict the government’s ability to make significant changes.

• Catherine21

Oh don't apologise I don't understand my writing oh OK thankyou was concerned thanks