Housing element or rent

Shellyj13
Shellyj13 Community member Posts: 102 Contributor
edited September 10 in Money and bills

When migration to U.C happens I understand that Housing benefit continues for 2 weeks after you claim.So for example I will have to pay this £500 remaining out of my own pocket? Or loan?.If they don't work out my claim for 7-10 weeks like they have done with some people ill be homeless

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Shellyj13. If there are no change of circumstances and you are invited to claim for UC, you will be classed as a 'managed migrant' and will receive transitional protection which is an extra amount of money to make up the difference between what you'd receive on the legacy benefits and UC. Here's where I found the information Citizens Advice - Moving to UC. You shouldn't be forced into homelessness as you will be protected. Hope that helps 😊

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,975 Championing

If your rent has to be paid in the intermediate period after HB ends but before UC starts then yes, you will have to pay it somehow. But you're not actually losing it as that period will be covered by the first UC payment when that comes through.

If possible, I would recommend saving as much as you can before starting the UC migration in case it does get delayed for any reason. I do appreciate that's not possible for everyone.

You can apply for an advance payment if you really need it in that intermediate period. But that does need to be paid back when the UC starts, so it's only worth doing if absolutely necessary.

• Shellyj13

Thank you for all this information

• Shellyj13

Can I also ask who works out the housing element? For eg I have under occupancy and so do universal credit work this out? Does it just continue on like before? Does my landlord work it out or council?

• Rachel_Scope

Hi @Shellyj13. This will be worked out for you by DWP. It affects UC in the same way as HB. Scope - Bedroom Tax.

• Shellyj13

But surely as they've got all my details and n̈national insurance number it can stay the same?.

• Rachel_Scope

Hi, as I said, HB and UC housing element are affected by under occupancy in the same way so I can't see a reason why the amount would change if your circumstances stay the same.

• Shellyj13

Thank you

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

I've been paying extra on rent for this reason god I dread going on UC

• Shellyj13

Catherine I decided not to take the advance and pay an amount on my credit card instead.Ive read on other sites that although this can be paid off in installments of say £20 month over the course of say 18 months it messes up the system.My landlord also told Me that U.C won't pay them directly as the Government want people even if they have disabilities to take responsibility unless otherwise instructed by a medical professional to say otherwise.

• Catherine21

Oh OK some people say they get thiers directly to landlord god if they pay rent to me I'd definitely spend I hate all of this have you recieved your letter

• Shellyj13

Yes recieved letter and migrated yesterday before child tax credits were due as I don't want any overpayments.A

• Catherine21
  • Shellyj13

Also I want it sorted before Christmas.

• Catherine21

Yes exactly this ! I wish you the best let's us know how you get on

• Shellyj13

Wishing you the best too x.

• Catherine21

Thankyou x

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 525 Empowering
    edited September 11

You can ask for UC Housing Element to be paid to landlord direct

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/when_universal_credit_can_be_paid_direct_to_a_landlord

I too paid what worked out at a few weeks rent when I claimed while waiting for my first UC payment - natural migration. It was just easier for me.