Lcwra

mikeblue
mikeblue Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited September 14 in Universal Credit (UC)

Hi all. I am a single dad with 2 children and I am on lcwra. I have recently found out I have a 1 year old child, my question is do I need to report I have a 3rd child even though the child will not be staying with me and I do not have any type of relationship with the child's mother.

Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

Nope @mikeblue UC only need to know about children living with you in your care ❤️

• mikeblue

Hi Biblioklept. Thanks for the quick response. It's been a real shock finding out I have another child tbh.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Welcome to the community @mikeblue that must've been quite the call to take! AS Biblioklept has said, you only need to let the DWP know about children that live with you, or you look after regularly.

• Biblioklept

I can't imagine what that's like!! As a woman it's unlikely to ever happen to me but the idea of it is crazy!!! Do you think you'll want to meet the child??

• mikeblue

@Biblioklept it's kinda crazy tbh. The mother literally wanted to meet me and literally dropped it like this " you have a child with me that's 1yr old" she went onto say she'll be going abroad for 7 months for work and the child will be my priority while she's away. We have done all relevant tests to prove the child is mine. I'm really distraught by all this shock I have 2 kids already and we all live with my parents. I suffer from depression and bipolar disorder and this is really pushing me over the edge atm. I wish the mother told me along time ago as I've lost 1yr of the child's life.

• Biblioklept

So she's expecting you to care for the child for 7 months while she is away??? That's crazy to dump onto someone @mikeblue!!

• mikeblue

@Biblioklept I am feeling mentally destroyed by all of this. Obviously I don't know how to explain this to uc I feel so embarrassed about all this. I mean what do I say? Do i say the child will stay with me for for a few months? I

• Biblioklept

Because of the 'two child cap' as the child was born after 2017 you won't receive more money to take care of them @mikeblue 😕 Does UC currently cover all of your rent?

Don't feel embarrassed! There's no need ❤️

• mikeblue

I know I won't receive more money for the child element . Me and my 2 children stay with my parents as I need alot of help bringing them up so the rent element isn't included. I just don't know how to put it to universal credit- I have a kid that I just found about... that's 1yr old... he may or may not stay with me for a few months... @

• Kim8
    Kim8 Community member Posts: 10 Listener

I can imagine your shock! I don't understand how the mother has the nerve to have only just let you know about the child! 7 months is a long time to be away from a baby too.

• mikeblue

@Kim8 tell me about it! I just got off the phone with her and she's adamant she'll be going for 7/8 months and she's saying I have no choice to take care of the little one. I will do it its just I don't know how'll I'll feel when the time comes when I have to hand the baby back. I will have to tell the job center just incase my Lcwra/uc money gets stopped.

• Kim8

Are you on the birth certificate? The baby doesn't even know you, so is going to be so unsettled. Some people should never have children. This must be so difficult for you.

• mikeblue

@Kim8 yes she put me on the certificate. she's been extremely unreasonable about things since she told me about the baby, demanding things etc. I honestly don't know what to do, obviously I will do the right thing and be there for the baby, that's all I can do right now.

• Kim8

I wish you all the very best, don't let her take advantage of you. See if you are entitled to legal aid and get advice from a Family Law solicitor. Or go to the citizens advice.

• Woodview1
    Woodview1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener

• Woodview1

please be sure she will come back very strange a woman leaving a small baby she must have no loving feelings

• mikeblue

@Woodview1 she'll be apparently going because of work and I found out today her bf will also be going. I feel totally destroyed this week,I have no words.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

I can imagine the shock maybe in time it will become easier and you will grow to have a relationship poor baby will be an adjustment period for them to leave a young child is unforgivable and selfish I admire you for doing the right thing I hope all works out for you

• Woodview1

• Woodview1

thinking of your parents as I have grandchildren difficult for them another child in the house a lot of work poor little baby can’t help but feel she is heartless