I need an extra bedroom for my disabled daughter

lilworthy
lilworthy Community member Posts: 9 Listener

hi I need help to try get an extra bedroom as I live with my 2 daughter who are 7 and 15 my 7 year old has ADHD and is not sleeping til early hours in the morning so my eldest daughter is suffering as she can’t go to bed til my youngest is asleep she gets high rate DLA and low rate care I’ve sent proof of her DLA to the housing but they want supporting evidence of a professional to say she can’t share a room but my gp are funny about writing letters and tell me they can’t I get nothing from camhs who diagnosed her so I’m feeling very lost at the moment any help would be more appreciated

Comments

• Emilee
    Emilee Community member Posts: 129 Empowering

Is this for benefit claim, or for you to be rehoused in a larger property? I have to ask as the response will differ depending on what you are needing.

• lilworthy

rehoused into a bigger property

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,383 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @lilworthy and welcome to the community.

Has your GP given a reason as to why they won't/can't write you a letter? Are there any other medical professional involved in their care that could provide evidence for you?

• lilworthy

no they haven’t just told me they don’t write letters my partner phoned the gp up yesterday they told me to write a letter and sign a form. Camhs are involved but I haven’t heard of them since July when they gave my daughter her diagnosis I’m still waiting for an appointment on the next steps but it’s only me at the moment as I’m in therapy for my PTSD

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 703 Pioneering

My GP won't do letters for free, but will do so for a small fee.

Might your GP be amenable to such a proposal?

• lilworthy

I’m happy to pay but I got told they don’t do letters I’m going to write a letter see if they can write a letter of support as my daughters need their own room as my eldest mental health is being affected because she can’t go to bed til my youngest is asleep

• Rachel_Scope

I find it really odd that they don't do letters, surely they do as people need medical evidence. Sorry they're being so unhelpful. What did they mean when they said you should write a letter and sign a form?

How are you coping with everything?

• lilworthy

they told me to write a letter to them and sign a consent form

I’m really struggling as everyone is pretty much moving away from me and they are a good car journey away so I won’t really have any support I’m trying to deal with my daughters mental health aswel

• Rachel_Scope

Sorry just to clarify, this letter is to the GP? Would this be to explain the reasoning for your letter so they might write one for you? Sorry if I've got that completely wrong.

Is the therapy helping at all? Are you able to call anyone for a chat?

• lilworthy

yes the letter is for the gp and I think so but me I’m no good at writing letters it is for me but my therapist also says I need to move away from my town as it’s setting me back in my treatment because of my PTSD triggering all the time. Yeah but it don’t help most of the time

• Rachel_Scope

Hopefully once you get the evidence you can make the move to somewhere different. You could contact Citizens Advice who could maybe help you to write a letter for your GP. You mentioned you have a partner, could they help you?

I'm going to send you an email in a little while, can you look out for it?

• lilworthy

I’ve just replied back thank you for your email. Yes I do have a partner this is why I’m struggling abit myself as he’s moving away from me so I’m pretty much losing most of my support in my town. But I’m getting help I just need to write this letter. My therapist has referred me onto a team in their services to help me with housing and PIP etc.

I might ask my sister if she could help me write a letter or what I should put on it as I’m struggling a lot with my own emotionals aswel as both of my daughters specially my eldest and my triggers it’s becoming really hard but I’m working hard to not go into a download spiral.

• Rachel_Scope

I've just replied to your reply 😊 Asking your sister is a good idea. Maybe contacting the GP to ask exactly what they need could help too? Then you can bulletpoint the information to make it clearer in your head, that's what works for me anyway. Is your partner's move permanent? It must be so difficult losing their support.

• lilworthy

he’s just moving in so he’s having to wait 2 years before he would able to get back into my town.

• Rachel_Scope

What's the reason for the 2 year wait?

• lilworthy

a two year wait is for him to be allowed an exchange

• Rachel_Scope

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying. Keep us updated on getting the letter 😊