Undiagnosed fatigue

2»

Comments

• Gary1999
    Gary1999 Community member Posts: 15 Listener

Hi Chiarieds,

VItamin D and serum ferritin checked and both within range. Contracted shingles June '23 and treated with loads of tablets over 7 days. Felt more my normal self subsequent to the shingles but the last 6/9 months have noticed a gradual decline in my energy levels. Every day is a real struggle just doing basic things. Hoping someone can suggest what further tests I should ask my GP for when I see them on Monday. Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. I will ask re. Coeliac but the symptoms don't seem to be the same aside from fatigue constantly.

• Gary1999

Hi DDDannn,

Yes I take a multivitamin together with zinc, magnesium and folate tablets and D3. No dry skin on tips of elbows. I've never felt this "washed out" and for so long. Everything is quite a large effort to do, even little things. Wake up totally unrefreshed. Thank you for your post kind regards Gary

• Gary1999

Appointment to doctor didn't go great. Seems to be concentrating on my diabetes rather than my actual symptoms. Enquired as to whether a cortisol blood test might be useful, useful but she didn't think it would be that. So now in position as to no nearer to a conclusion or further tests. See again in 2 weeks after HBAC1 blood test. Any advice as to how I can progress diagnosis much appreciated. Gradually feeling more fatigued this past week. Thank you and kind regards Gary

• OneSunnyDay1
    OneSunnyDay1 Community member Posts: 11 Listener

Hello Gary

Maybe you can try only eating food that is organic for a couple of months and see how you feel?

All the best

• Gary1999

Thanks OneSunnyDay. Don't think it's anything to do with what I eat as this has been a gradual worsening fatigue over last 6 - 9 months, rather than a constant fatigue over that period. Just seeing if anyone can recommend what further tests I could request which may point to the cause. Thank you for your reply kind regards Gary

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 747 Championing
    edited October 15

@Gary1999

I have been following your post and can truly empathise with what you’re experiencing. I’ve faced similar challenges with extreme fatigue, and I know it affects every area of your life, day and night. It can be incredibly frustrating, especially when tests haven’t revealed a clear cause and you feel like you’re not being heard.

I suggest discussing a few additional tests with your GP that could provide more clarity. For instance, a full blood panel test, along with a blood chemistry profile, can offer a broad picture of your overall health and help identify potential underlying issues that may require further investigation.

While my GP conducted the basic blood tests, she was hesitant to recommend further testing since I had no prior history of health issues. She did notice that I looked very pale and even suggested I take a holiday. When I enquired about additional tests, she mentioned the ones I listed above but pointed out that they were expensive and felt it might be a waste of surgery resources in my case. Ultimately, I ended up paying for those tests myself, as she was unwilling to assist. However, GPs will conduct these tests if they genuinely believe you are unwell and not just in need of a holiday.

I have never regretted taking matters into my own hands and paying for the blood tests instead of following her advice. Those initial tests revealed something was wrong in my body, even though no one could identify the cause at that time. It took months of follow-up tests, including multiple blood tests, scans, MRIs, ultrasounds and biopsies before the issue was finally diagnosed. It turned out to be an extremely rare chronic bone marrow condition, with chronic fatigue as the main symptom.

I’m not suggesting this is your situation, so please don’t be alarmed, but I encourage you to stay strong and not let anyone dismiss your concerns. Keep advocating for yourself until you find the answers you need to regain your quality of life. Wishing you all the best on your journey toward feeling better!