Lcwra, potential new job 20hrs

Fernie
Fernie Community member Posts: 5 Connected

Hi

I've been offered a job interview for a remote work from bed job that is 20 hours. I will ask if I can do 16hrs but I have a feeling that there will also be the potential for overtime occasionally. I have only recently started a new treatment and come out of a bout of poor health and hospital stays so I don't feel ready to fully give up ESA and lwcra yet.. And just dive in with 20hrs and potentially lose my ESA. I'm not sure what to do I am in a dilemma..

Also the pay for 16hrs is still higher than that qouted on the permitted work form. I don't know why they think that disabled people who want to experiment with paid work should only consider low paid roles especially when we may have been in higher paid roles in the past. All a bit odd. This role is £15 per hour so above the '

• earn no more than £183.50 each week, after tax and National Insurance has been taken off'

I'm not sure what to do really…

I'm hoping that I will still keep my UC and housing benefit from the calculations I have done

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

Permitted work rules for ESA mean it's less than 16 hours per week. If you work 16 hours and more then your ESA will stop. You must report the changes if you'll be working 16 hours or more per week.

As you're also claiming UC as well then there's no financial gain for you by claiming both of those at the same time. For UC you have the work allowance and there's no maximum amount of hours you can work.

As your UC includes help with the rent known as housing element (not housing benefit) then your work allowance will be £404/month. For every £1/week of earnings over that amount your UC reduces by 55p.

If you start working you must report the changes for UC by logging into your journal and clicking report a change. Then click work and earnings and report it through there.

• MissMel
    MissMel Community member Posts: 89 Empowering

@Fernie Congratulations on getting a work from bed job. I didn't know they existed. Have you asked if it is possible to do a phased return to work so that it isn't 20 or 16 hours for the full week to start off with? That way you can see if you like it, if it works for you and whether you can manage it.

I hope everything works out.