Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Hi, my name is Caja!

I am the mother of a 26 year old young man who has autism and severe learning difficulties. He is currently living a few miles away in supported living which isn't very supportive!

Replies

• JgeekJgeek Member Posts: 68
    hey Caja welcome to our community, its great he has moved to supportive living, well done for getting him to that level. My partner has autism & his mum has found it hard, I think it'll be a case of me taking over help straight from mum! Knowing how much love & potential people with this condition can bring, I urge you to seek help/advice from the supportive living to understand why they are not helping him in the way you expect- by definition they should support
  • CajaCaja Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the welcome! The problem with his supported living is that it is run by a company who have profit making as their main, they employ very young staff who have little or no experience of autism or special needs and pay them very poorly for a difficult and challenging job. I have lots of sympathy for the staff but get very frustrated with the managers who continually try to cut costs.
    Good luck with the job hunt, I used to work in learning support at a local college and supported several students with cp so I know what a struggle the job market can be.
Sign in or join us to comment.