Hi, my name is Caja! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Caja!

Options
Caja
Caja Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am the mother of a 26 year old young man who has autism and severe learning difficulties. He is currently living a few miles away in supported living which isn't very supportive!

Comments

• Jgeek
    Jgeek Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    Options
    hey Caja welcome to our community, its great he has moved to supportive living, well done for getting him to that level. My partner has autism & his mum has found it hard, I think it'll be a case of me taking over help straight from mum! Knowing how much love & potential people with this condition can bring, I urge you to seek help/advice from the supportive living to understand why they are not helping him in the way you expect- by definition they should support
  • Caja
    Caja Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! The problem with his supported living is that it is run by a company who have profit making as their main, they employ very young staff who have little or no experience of autism or special needs and pay them very poorly for a difficult and challenging job. I have lots of sympathy for the staff but get very frustrated with the managers who continually try to cut costs.
    Good luck with the job hunt, I used to work in learning support at a local college and supported several students with cp so I know what a struggle the job market can be.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.