What do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What do I do?

zesty Member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.


  • zesty
    zesty Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello Hannah. My eldest child is experiencing behaviour problems at Primary School. For the past two years he has been involved in situations where he loses his anger and the teachers find it difficult to restrain him. Situations such as being picked on my other children, being pushed into etc. He has been working on this at school. This week i was told to collect my child from school because he was refusing to do the class work set by another teacher (not his class teacher) and was being disruptive (by banging the ruler on the desk) to the rest of the class. I explained to him that this was wrong and not acceptable. He said he was not being supported by the teacher! At home he is fine and I have never had complaints from out of school clubs, tutoring, parties he has attended etc. only school. He is a bright pupil sitting his SATS soon. I have a numerous meetings with the school but always feel I am not being listened too. My concern is that as he is going to be starting high school in September, I don't want his anger to become an issue there too. It has been suggested by the school that he be assessed by an educational psychologist but my child does not want this. What do I do?
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hi Zesty
    For some reason I have not been receiving email alerts so apologies my response is delayed.
    I can understand your concerns about your son moving to secondary school and not wanting the behaviour difficulties to continue. The big question I find myself asking is why? What is causing his outbursts? Until there is clear understanding his needs cannot be effectively addressed. An educational psychologist (EP) is well placed to help with this. Does your son understand that an EP is not a therapist? It may help to explain what sort if things would happen and then see how he feels. If your son really dies not want an assessment, as his parent you can still give permission for an EP referral and they may be able to help by offering consultations to school staff and/or yourself.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.