Disability aids, equipment and technology
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Bath and shower access safety issues

lynyonalynyona Member Posts: 3
My husband had a hip replacement about four years ago and a knee replacement 2 years ago.Now the problem we have got is he cannot get in the bath because of his hip replacement so has a shower.and our shower is over the bath one.We had a form to fill in for a disability aid but because you now have to score points and half the stuff wasn't relevant to him you had to score 12 points and i think he only scored 2 .Over the last 3 months he has slipped in the bath twice while trying to get a shower .I know our social landlord wont do anything about it as they are cutting cost as anyone got any ideas or has anyone had their bath removed and a shower put in is it very costly ..that is if we could get permission in the first place to take the bath out.


  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Lynyona,

    It sounds as though your husband would benefit from an Occupational Therapist assessment. You can arrange this via your local authority's Adult Social Care department. The Occupational Therapist can assess your husband at home to see if there are aids or adaptations they can provide to help him manage. It might be that he now needs a wet room and if so it could be possible that the work can be done with a Disabled Facilities Grant from the local authority. 

    If you would like me to look up the details of your local authority's Adult Social Care department and other advice agencies in your area, just let me know which county you live in and I'll get on to that.

    Best wishes
  • lynyonalynyona Member Posts: 3
    He was referred to our Local Occupational Therapists department through our doctor and that is when we received this assessment form to fill in and it basically said reading between the lines if you do not score 12 dont bother sending the form back.That would be most helpful thank you we are in North East Lincolnshire
  • htlcyhtlcy Member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    edited July 2016
    Hi @lynyona , sorry to hear this. That's strange; I'm in the East Riding, and I've seen several occupational therapists to help with this kind of thing. I use a bath board, which is a slotted 'seat' basically and allows you to get into the shower without having to stand. It also allows you to sit and shower, so this would be ideal from the sounds of it. Do let us know how you get on; it does sound like occupational therapy would be ideal if you could access it!
    take care,
    Heather :)
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Lynyona,

    Is it worth getting in touch with Disability Lincs to see if they can advise you?http://www.disabilitylincs.org.uk/index.htm

    Age UK can often provide information and advice to people over the age of 50 so it might be worth looking up your local service to see if they can assist if your husband is aged over 50. http://www.ageuk.org.uk/ 

    It doesn't sound right though that he is not eligible for help particularly as he has already slipped twice. Have you been given some guidance about things you can buy yourself to prevent the slips?

    Keep in touch and let us know how things go.

    Also thank you Heather for your input :)
  • lynyonalynyona Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your comments and advice i will keep you informed
Sign in or join us to comment.