Bath and shower access safety issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bath and shower access safety issues

lynyona
lynyona Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My husband had a hip replacement about four years ago and a knee replacement 2 years ago.Now the problem we have got is he cannot get in the bath because of his hip replacement so has a shower.and our shower is over the bath one.We had a form to fill in for a disability aid but because you now have to score points and half the stuff wasn't relevant to him you had to score 12 points and i think he only scored 2 .Over the last 3 months he has slipped in the bath twice while trying to get a shower .I know our social landlord wont do anything about it as they are cutting cost as anyone got any ideas or has anyone had their bath removed and a shower put in is it very costly ..that is if we could get permission in the first place to take the bath out.

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Lynyona,

It sounds as though your husband would benefit from an Occupational Therapist assessment. You can arrange this via your local authority's Adult Social Care department. The Occupational Therapist can assess your husband at home to see if there are aids or adaptations they can provide to help him manage. It might be that he now needs a wet room and if so it could be possible that the work can be done with a Disabled Facilities Grant from the local authority. 

If you would like me to look up the details of your local authority's Adult Social Care department and other advice agencies in your area, just let me know which county you live in and I'll get on to that.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • lynyona
    He was referred to our Local Occupational Therapists department through our doctor and that is when we received this assessment form to fill in and it basically said reading between the lines if you do not score 12 dont bother sending the form back.That would be most helpful thank you we are in North East Lincolnshire
  • htlcy
    htlcy Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited July 2016
    Hi @lynyona , sorry to hear this. That's strange; I'm in the East Riding, and I've seen several occupational therapists to help with this kind of thing. I use a bath board, which is a slotted 'seat' basically and allows you to get into the shower without having to stand. It also allows you to sit and shower, so this would be ideal from the sounds of it. Do let us know how you get on; it does sound like occupational therapy would be ideal if you could access it!
    take care,
    Heather :)
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Lynyona,

Is it worth getting in touch with Disability Lincs to see if they can advise you?http://www.disabilitylincs.org.uk/index.htm

Age UK can often provide information and advice to people over the age of 50 so it might be worth looking up your local service to see if they can assist if your husband is aged over 50. http://www.ageuk.org.uk/ 

It doesn't sound right though that he is not eligible for help particularly as he has already slipped twice. Have you been given some guidance about things you can buy yourself to prevent the slips?

Keep in touch and let us know how things go.

Also thank you Heather for your input :)
  • lynyona
    Thank you all for your comments and advice i will keep you informed

Brightness