Turned down for benefits because I have a lodger? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Turned down for benefits because I have a lodger?

cookiecat Member Posts: 3 Listener
hi i have been turned down for sdp as i have a lodger living with me my lodger is not related to me in any way he has to pay the council for his room and he buys cooks all his own food does his own washing just asking if this is right 


  • Patricia
    Patricia Member Posts: 12 Connected
    Doesn't sound right. Must think it's your lodger. Many mistakes are made. You have to explain again . Go to CAB for professional support.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi cookiecat,

    A lodger isn't a non-dependant, and it's a non-dependant living with you that stops the SDP. If this person is separately liable to make payments to the council for accommodation (and it sounds as if they are), then they are not a non-dependant.

    Similarly, if the lodger was liable to pay you for occupation of the property on a commercial basis, they wouldn't be a non-dependant either. 

    So, no, it definitely doesn't sound right...

    You don't say which benefit the SDP is part of (Housing Benefit or maybe income-related ESA?), but you should get in touch with the relevant office and explain the situation in full, asking for the decision to be changed - if you can, within a month of when it was made.

    Do post back on here to let us know how it goes, or ask for more information.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • cookiecat
    cookiecat Member Posts: 3 Listener
    thank you so much i will let you know how i get on thanks again 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cookiecat I just wondered how you got on with this? Did you get things resolved?
    Senior online community officer
  • cookiecat
    cookiecat Member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi sam went to cab and they say iam not entitled to sdp but thanks for pointing me in the right direction she said having a lodger is a mine field 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.