Turned down for benefits because I have a lodger? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turned down for benefits because I have a lodger?

Options
cookiecat
cookiecat Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi i have been turned down for sdp as i have a lodger living with me my lodger is not related to me in any way he has to pay the council for his room and he buys cooks all his own food does his own washing just asking if this is right 

Comments

• Patricia
    Patricia Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Doesn't sound right. Must think it's your lodger. Many mistakes are made. You have to explain again . Go to CAB for professional support.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi cookiecat,

A lodger isn't a non-dependant, and it's a non-dependant living with you that stops the SDP. If this person is separately liable to make payments to the council for accommodation (and it sounds as if they are), then they are not a non-dependant.

Similarly, if the lodger was liable to pay you for occupation of the property on a commercial basis, they wouldn't be a non-dependant either. 

So, no, it definitely doesn't sound right...

You don't say which benefit the SDP is part of (Housing Benefit or maybe income-related ESA?), but you should get in touch with the relevant office and explain the situation in full, asking for the decision to be changed - if you can, within a month of when it was made.

Do post back on here to let us know how it goes, or ask for more information.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• cookiecat
    Options
    thank you so much i will let you know how i get on thanks again 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cookiecat I just wondered how you got on with this? Did you get things resolved?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • cookiecat
    Options
    hi sam went to cab and they say iam not entitled to sdp but thanks for pointing me in the right direction she said having a lodger is a mine field 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.